RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

rck_climber

Oct 15, 2001, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Minnesota
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Have you checked the routes database? It's a great way to find beta on climbing areas in your state/area. Also make sure to add any that you know of that are missing from the section.

You can navigate there by clicking on the "Routes" link on the bar at left or on top.

Or direct link is: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listState.php?CountryStateID=79

Hope this helps.

Mick

munckee

Oct 15, 2001, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post

I have done some rappelling (years ago through a summer camp; I was about 12 and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread) just outside of Duluth near Gooseberry falls. Incredible pink granite at about 150' in height. I would imagine that the climbing would be spectacular. I also did a little climbing at gooseberry falls on the left shore (facing the falls) of the upper most fall in the touristy area. Hope this helps a little.

tela_monkey

Oct 15, 2001, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post

there is tons of sweet climbing up north!! (in MN) duluth is a great place to climb. are you looking for lead routes or to top rope or what? the most known places up there are Elys Peak, Shovel Point, and Palisade Head.
Elys Peak is in between the cities of duluth and carlton. its got some something on both ends of the rating scale. theres many 5.5 and 5.6s, and then some 5.9, 5.10, and even a couple 5.12s.

Shovel Point is up there along the north shore somewhere! lots of 5.10s and higher. long routes.

Palisade Head. very popular. lots and lots of climbs. its part of Tettegouche state park, so you need a permit. varying difficulites.

the north shore is a NO CHALK zone, so be prepared! also, lake superior does some crazy things to the weather in Duluth and surrounding towns,so be prepared for wet, windy climbing...anytime of year!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook