Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

synrock

Mar 8, 2008, 7:33 PM
Post #26 of 41 (6680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"old Bellefonte Quarry head. "

Youngster, what is with the deal with this? Now if you really want information for your map you ain't gonna get it by this disrespect.

I am pleased to tell you that you are missing most of PA's good bouldering areas.

You don't have Elk (north of quehanna highway) listed? Dude, everyone knows about that place.

And what about Green Lane? Squirrel rock? The Rim?

And of course the 'World Class" bouldering areas are missing, J-town, G-town, and G2.

Let's start with the innacuracies.
That Pinnacle is called Indian rock by the locals or the Pennsylvania pinnacle by climbers. There is a mixed 5.9 on the west face that is classic.

Captain Jack? There is a bouldering area just off 22 near 655 called the 22 boulders but there isn't any rock at that captain jack location.

Phantom rocks is close to big rocks. I have no idea if there are rocks where you list phantom rocks at but that isn't phantom rocks. You have to realize that Rob Holtzman is incapable of admitting that he doesn't know everything which is why he made up that phantom rocks entry in the database. He makes up stuff a lot.

Black Bear rocks is just called Bear Rocks. This has been the Penn State boulderer's second main bouldering area besides Hunters for over 15 years. Too bad it is now closed. If there is a second area called Black Bear Rocks I;d like to see it.

There are no Wolf rocks.

The Dubois area "Turkey Foot?" is called the Michael Jackson crag. The earlier Penn Sate gang (circa 2000) was the first to boulder there.

You are missing a lot locally.

You should list Goodman Quarry near water street. 3 Steep LONG 5.11a sport climbs.

The Bionic Bear Claw pinnacle (12a sport) just south of pulpit rocks.

Why no Huntingdon rocks? A very old and established area along the Juniata north of Huntington.

And there is a LOT of stuff near Williamsburg not listed.

dharmatreez

Mar 9, 2008, 1:47 PM
Post #27 of 41 (6655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi Jim

no disrespect meant about the "old" thing, sh*t, when someone I meet hears I'm from the State College area, the next thing they usually say is, "do you know that old bellefonte quarry guy, Jim?" (which I don't)

plus, I know I got you beat, I was twice as old as the last two people I was out climbing with Tongue

thanks for the info on what's off, it's added to the edit list

hey, you want all of those great bouldering areas on the map, send or post some GPS coord., I'll add them to the list

it's just a working copy, I want to hand draw on the final work and get rid of the stupid clip art

I'm glad I posted it though, the critique has been and is great!

Long happy trails and safe climbing,

Jae

roclimb

Mar 19, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #28 of 41 (6587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jim,

Yes, I do make up a lot of stuff. In fact I finally finsihed making up a 400 page guidebook for PA. I didnt include a lot around state College because its closed and I didn't think a lot of the stuff there and Laurel ridge near J-town, and chestnut ridge was good enough to put in a guide. Don't get me wrong there is nice stuff, just unclean and mossy. I do plan to put a lot of that stuff on my webpage in the near future. It is pretty cool rock, just needs to be traveled more.

Jason,

Goodman quarry is small but a nice place to visit for an afternoon. It's off "the Lower Trail" (rail Trail) off rt 22 near huntington. Find the intersec. of 453 and 22 and go sout a short way on teh trail. The quarry is near Goodman road and canal channel. Owens quarry is there too but not good for climbing.

Sand Road has nice boulders down a ways in south west PA. There used to be some vid of some boulders there on synrock. Those were cool vids Jim, they still up? you should put more up on the site. seriously, I know PA climbers enjoy that stuff.

Hobo Hill is a nice spot also. Is that on the map?

There are several wolf rocks in PA. The closest I can think of to central pa is prb. on Laurel ridge on the wolf rocks trail west of Johnstown.

FYI....I have never and will never claim to know all of the rock in PA. I don't think anyone can claim that. There is just too much rock! We are lucky to have so much in PA.

For Phantom rocks, its off Peacock Rd. in the state forest near Lock Heaven. Any outing club member from LHU can tell you where it is since they frequent the spot regularly...it is, in fact, very close to the U.

Happy climbign to all
~RobCool

(This post was edited by roclimb on Mar 19, 2008, 9:12 PM)

dharmatreez

Mar 20, 2008, 3:00 AM
Post #29 of 41 (6564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Rob

Yeah, I feel stupid, I've ran or rode my bike past Owens and Goodman so many times in the last 5 years. Owens is the first quarry on your right (there is a wooden sign). I scrambled up in Owens but found only loose, dangerous, short walls a few years back. I'll have to check out Goodman further down the trail next time, I know exactly which one it is now.

Hobo is on the map.

Yeah there is Wolf Rocks down by Ogletown in Gallitzin State Forest on the John P. Saylor Trail, I believe that is what you are talking about. LOTS of graffiti!! Spent a night there during a backpack a few winters ago, but never have climbed anything.

I also included Wolf Rocks in Moshannon State Forest that is right on the Allegheny Front Trail. The boulders were mossy and maybe 20' was the max and very few. I thought if a backpacker/climber knows that they are there, maybe they would want to throw some shoes and chalk in their pack.

--

Just a little more work to do and I'll have the final one finished.

Again thanks for all the help and criticism from everyone!

Jae

synrock

Mar 20, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #30 of 41 (6551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never heard of sand road. I have quite a few videos of sw pa gritstone on the synrock web site.

Have you ben to Hobo hill? We've probably put up 40 good problems there.

I'm not sure if I would call a 150 ft vert to overhanging cliff in PA "small" - have you been to goodman quarry?

I believe there are 2 phantom rocks - the one I am thinking of is q good drive from loch haven and not off peacock rd.

As to how much rock there is in pa - especially bouldering - it's freaking amazing.

Lately I've been going to a undeveloped new diabase area that is basically another Gretna - size and rock wise.

First ascent of diabase highballs is always intense - luckily I only broke one hold on this arete-roof problem. The amazing face to the left is very virgin.
Attachments: bowersoldgoatweb.jpg (141 KB)

roclimb

Mar 20, 2008, 6:16 PM
Post #31 of 41 (6526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim,

Wow, that stone looks awesome!

Is that part of the "diabase belt" that runs out into the SWPA part of the state, near where the belt ends?

~Rob

Valarc

Mar 20, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #32 of 41 (6511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This seems like as good a place as any to ask...

It seems to me most of the "best" bouldering locations I've read about in PA tend to be central/western PA (stuff like Hunters). I've never actually climbed outdoors in the keystone state, but I do have family there, and would love to skip out of some boring family crap to do some bouldering.

What are some really great bouldering spots on the east side of the state? Anything near Philly would rock, and something within an hour or so of York wouldn't be bad. Stuff near Harrisburg would be good too, as I'd have a place to crash. Any thoughts?

synrock

Mar 20, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #33 of 41 (6495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roclimb wrote:
Jim,

Wow, that stone looks awesome!

Is that part of the "diabase belt" that runs out into the SWPA part of the state, near where the belt ends?

~Rob

Of course it's part of the diabase belt - right in the middle - close to where you live.

More photos - the only disadvantage to the place (besides the fact it is basically gretna with no trails) are the mararding packs of territorial goats.

These guys climb up to v2 and have a nasty tendancy to challange you king of the mountain style right when you are in the middle of one of those desperate top outs.

We've found the best defense is to throw your chalk ball at them and goats being goats they try to eat it and get a nasty case of cotton mouth and run off to get a drink. This maneuver has saved my ass on more than one occasion but be sure to take extra chalk balls because sometimes they gang up on you.

bowers
Attachments: goatrockgoat.jpg (135 KB)

truello

Mar 20, 2008, 9:50 PM
Post #34 of 41 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha that picture just made my day

synrock

Mar 20, 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #35 of 41 (6464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

more photos of goat rocks.
Attachments: goatrockA.jpg (146 KB)

synrock

Mar 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #36 of 41 (6463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an amazing v3-4 slab.
Attachments: goatrockb.jpg (89.3 KB)

joeforte

Mar 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #37 of 41 (6461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
What are some really great bouldering spots on the east side of the state? Anything near Philly would rock, and something within an hour or so of York wouldn't be bad. Stuff near Harrisburg would be good too, as I'd have a place to crash. Any thoughts?

Well consider yourself lucky. Haycock mountain is located north of Philly, and has some of the best bouldering in the state. Check out Rob's site www.paclimbing.com for an online guidebook to hangar 18, one of the areas at haycock. His site is still very new, so expect to seem more onilne guides in the future.

HarklessDO

Mar 21, 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #38 of 41 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not really the place but congrats on getting the new rockpodz in climbing magazine and the nice review.

roclimb

Mar 24, 2008, 2:43 PM
Post #39 of 41 (6388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HarklessDO] Pennsylvania Overview Map [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,
thanks fo rthe PR.

Jim,
That is funny as heck. Place looks cool. It isnt near Reading by chance is it?

synrock

Mar 24, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #40 of 41 (6359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well reading is right in the middle of the belt isn't it?

dharmatreez

Mar 25, 2008, 9:39 PM
Post #41 of 41 (6313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] Pennsylvania Overview Map - UPDATE - FINAL Edit ! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, here is my FINAL edit!

This is what I had in mind to hang on my wall and what I'm going to print out and put up.

The locations are approx. and there are alot more areas in PA, that's for sure.

Please feel free to email me at yellowgekohikes@yahoo.com for a full size/resolution copy. I crammed alot of info on the map and it's only really readable at full size.

There is 114 areas...

- 79 PUBLIC
- 23 Private (check access locally)
- 12 CLOSED

I'm going to tackle it again in a few years. Add more PUBLIC locations, check on current access and make the locations more accurate. A list down the side of the public areas with their GPS coord. might be nice too. I'm sure there will be plenty of ideas for improvement by then.

THANKS for all the criticism and ideas, it was a big help.

Long happy trails and safe climbing,

Jae

(This post was edited by dharmatreez on Mar 25, 2008, 9:42 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook