RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

solo1220

Mar 18, 2008, 1:21 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1206 views)
Shortcut

climbing in pittsburgh
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey i'll be moving to pit for grad school this aug and i want to see what the climbing scene is like, are there good gyms around? also what's the local outdoors bouldering/sport areas? I think NRG is 3-4 hours away right? any info would be much appreciated

(This post was edited by solo1220 on Mar 18, 2008, 1:22 PM)

dvs

Mar 18, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [solo1220] climbing in pittsburgh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

solo1220 wrote:
Hey i'll be moving to pit for grad school this aug and i want to see what the climbing scene is like, are there good gyms around? also what's the local outdoors bouldering/sport areas? I think NRG is 3-4 hours away right? any info would be much appreciated
Yeah, the New is about 3-4 hours. The only local outdoor area that I have been to (although I sometimes count the New as a local area) is Breakneck, which is small but decent. As far as gyms, I go to the Climbing Wall (google it) - which has good bouldering, and some roped (I haven't done rope climbing there, though). As I write this, I realized that I am not the best person to respond to this thread (been here for only a few months myself and, really, only know the New: Endless Wall, mmmmm). Other folks in the Western PA forum might be more knowledgeable.

tanderson

Mar 18, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of local climbing... especially if you're into bouldering. Several of us SWPA locals have been developing seemingly endless boulders in the Connellsville area and we're always looking for others to join the exploration and Fa's. Personally I've developed a considerable amount of the "local" climbing in all disciplines bouldering, trad, sport, ice, mixed and would be personally happy to give you the tour and show you around. Look me up when you get to town.

Cheers,
Tim

solo1220

Mar 20, 2008, 1:24 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tanderson] climbing in pittsburgh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanx for the replies, how is the wall climbing gym? does it have good bouldering and training stuff setup? any close bouldering spots? (close like day trips)

truello

Mar 21, 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are only two gyms in Pittsburgh. One is up north in Gibsonia and not worth the drive from Pittsburgh. The Climbing Wall is the best gym in Pittsburgh, but still lacks compared to most I've been to at Slippery Rock or even in Cleveland (Kendall Cliffs).

It doesn't matter though because there are great local areas. McConnell's Mill has about a week's worth of climbing and there are some lesser known but better (in my opinion) areas near Connellsville developed by tanderson above.

For long trips we are equidistant between the Gunks and the Red, and only 3 hours to the New or Seneca.

charley

Mar 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look in the western pa climbers thread maybe back a page there is some info maybe even directions to the arena, an outdoor bouldering/traverse area near crafton.

dvs

Mar 21, 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

solo1220 wrote:
thanx for the replies, how is the wall climbing gym? does it have good bouldering and training stuff setup? any close bouldering spots? (close like day trips)
The climbing wall has decent bouldering, but not really fingerboard/strips sort of training stuff. There is a smaller climbing wall on the U Pitt campus that has the training stuff - so, if you are heading to U Pitt, you can use that.

WVUCLMBR

Mar 21, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the interest of maintaining good relations between Pitt and WVU I would be willing to show you around the WVU climbing scene (much better that the Pitt/PA scene). Hit me up if you are interested.....
Bryan

charley

Mar 21, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] climbing in pittsburgh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the gate to coopers open yet?

WVUCLMBR

Mar 21, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] climbing in pittsburgh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope.....should be around April 1st...call 304-594-1561 before you head down this way as they don't always open April 1st.

tanderson

Mar 22, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR, Just thought I'd invite you to come check out the SWPA scene. You made the comment that the WVU scene is Much Better than the Pitt/PA scene. Thats a rather broad statment... unless you're referring to the "Social climbing Scene" which is definately true. There is a college there which does contribute to the number of "climbers" hanging out in the woodz. But if you're talking about the actual climbing... I don't think its entirely true. How much climbing have you done just 30 min. north of WVU? There's as much if not more climbing just a short drive up 119. We have an area equal to if not larger than all the climbing in Coopers. Coopers is on the same ridge that runs up through our neck of the woods. So we have the same type of climbing and just as much. Our problem is that hardly anybody knows its here.

I'm not trying to correct you, but inform you and you're buddies that you're really missing out on some great climbing a very short drive away. Come check it out. I've driven countless times down to the WVU areas to climb every season over the last 14 years. Its good...thats why I keep going back. But so is SWPA! hope to see you exploring your also local areas just north.

Happy Climbing,
Tim

WVUCLMBR

Mar 24, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tanderson] climbing in pittsburgh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I tried to climb in SW PA once but I used some directions off some crappy website called "ClimbPA". My wife and I tried to find this place called "The Lost Crag" and she was eaten by a bear. HAHAHAHA....j/k man...actually I've used your site to get to lost crag and breakneck. Lost Crag is great but hard to find. We liked breakneck once we found it (1st got lost on roads, then walked right past the trail up the hill and wandered for 1/2 hr). Havent been to mcconells mill or slippery rock since my dad took me back in late 80's. I'd love to meet up some time and see some of your other spots (I'll buy beerz). Later dude!!!
Bryan...

solo1220

Mar 27, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #13 of 13 (993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanx for all the replies. sounds liek there's ample bouldering around pittsburgh and the new for sports is awsome. does pittsuburgh have a strong climber community? i'd love to meet some strong people to train and climb with.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook