RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

carabiner96

Mar 31, 2008, 1:42 AM
Post #1 of 16 (987 views)
Shortcut

Anyone flown with a stove recently?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo dudes,

I'm going to Squamish in august and flying into Seattle. I know that the current rules are that you can only bring a stove in checked/carry on baggage if it's never been used.

Now, I've used my stoves, and I'd obviously like to bring it there and back. Being a poor college student, I'd like to avoid having to buy one there, even if it's just a cheap coleman from a camping store.

I was planning on bringing my jetboil, I figured that would fly better/less suspiciously than my whisperlite.

Any experiences/ideas?

minexploration

Mar 31, 2008, 2:12 AM
Post #2 of 16 (971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never heard the never been used to fly with a stove. We just flew to Jtree and just bought a canister when we got there. Just pack it in your checked luggage and do not stress about it.

carabiner96

Mar 31, 2008, 2:16 AM
Post #3 of 16 (969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minexploration] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I learned that because i work at a gear store near an airport. A customer called us from the iarport in a flurry and bought a new stove over the phone and we had to drive it out for him, when they searched his bag (check bag, they do it right in front of you in this small airport) his stove got pulled.

I figure a Jetboil will PROLLY be ok, since it doesn't really look like a stove. And yes, i'd buy canisters there.

vegastradguy

Mar 31, 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 16 (956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought that rule was for fuel canisters- you cant bring on a used fuel canister, but a shiny new one (empty) is okay....

obviously the jetboil type canister is a no go.....

cj1

Mar 31, 2008, 2:40 AM
Post #5 of 16 (949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently flew outside of the country with a Coleman gasoline/kerosene stove. I made sure that the stove was empty of fuel before getting on the plane and it was fine. As long as there are no fuel canisters in your luggage, you are fine. Pick up your fuel at your end destination and have fun.

Corey

Partner epoch

Mar 31, 2008, 3:28 AM
Post #6 of 16 (925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cj1] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Within the continental United States you are REQUIRED to have your stoves clean from any fuel residue. A white gas stove has to be brand spanking new or so clean that it appears to be new with ZERO fuel residue on the stove. A butane / isobutane stove should be fine, as the fuel evaporates. Do not, DO NOT try to fly with a butane canister. DO NOT try to fly with a used white gas canister. The TSA hasn't updated their regulations regarding stoves since 2005. I fly with my Snow Peak Giga Stove, Giga Lantern, and JetBoil and have no problems.

Straight from the horses mouth:
TSA Webpage wrote:
Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

Here's the link for you to print and bring it with you.
http://www.tsa.gov/.../editorial_1187.shtm

basilisk

Mar 31, 2008, 4:38 AM
Post #7 of 16 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Mexico and back in January. We carried six whisperlites without any trouble. They hadn't been cleaned at all, just taken apart. We divied up the pieces among various people in the group, including used fuel bottles, and we didn't have any trouble.

I don't know much about Jetboils, but I presume you can't take it apart very well. Maybe just bury it in your things and how it goes unnoticed.

Or you can just go the safe route and simply mail it first.

climbingaggie03

Mar 31, 2008, 4:53 AM
Post #8 of 16 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flown with my simmer light a few times as recently as this past november. The rule is the stoves are supposed to be new. I just clean mine a bit and try to make sure that it doesn't smell like fuel.

With a white gas fuel bottle, it again is supposed to be new, but I rinse mine out with water, dry it thoroughly and pack it with the lid on it.

I haven't had any problems with flying with my stove.

A jet boil should be easy to fly with cause it shouldn't have any fuel residue on it. I worry a bit about my liquid fuel stove, and if they searched my bag, I realize they would pull my stove, but I've never worried about my canister stoves.

jmeizis

Mar 31, 2008, 5:06 AM
Post #9 of 16 (895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flown several times with both my white gas stove and my canister stove and only had a hassle once. The lady asked if I had any camping equipment, to which I said yes. Then she asked if I had a camping stove, to which I said yes. She said I could not have it on the plane if it had any fuel vapors and that they would have to have someone check my bag. They checked the bag and let it go through. Other than that I have never had a problem. With my white gas stove I make sure it is exceptionally clean and let all the vapors air out for several days. The canister stove should be easy because their is no residue as with a white gas stove.

marde

Mar 31, 2008, 2:26 PM
Post #10 of 16 (861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You won't have any trouble with a canister stove like the jetboil in your checked baggage.
You will be in trouble if you bring the canisters along.
For the whisperlite: i've seen it that they don't allow it as it smells even a bit.
So take it apart clean it properly and let the parts try out really long, so there's no smell of white gas left and you should be fine.
Maybe thats less fun on the way back.

lena_chita

Mar 31, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #11 of 16 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Timely thread! I was just thinking of the same thing-- how can I bring my whisperlite along when I go to Joshua tree in couple weeks?

After reading all the replies, I think I'll leave it at home, and either make do with cold foods, or bum hot water off of people who are driving there instead of flying b/c it sounds like too much hassle and a chance that I would have to leave it at theairport after all... Sure, I can clean the canister and air it out at home a few days before the rip, but how the hell would I do it on a return trip? I think I'll just buy some fuel for people whom I'll be asking for hot water, and be really nice to them :)

ckirkwood9

Mar 31, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #12 of 16 (851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flew to/from Maine this past summer and had my jetboil taken from me. Now it was in my carry-on, so when it went through security, they flagged my bag, took it out and asked me about it. I asked them if it could go on my checked baggage, they told me no camp stoves at all on the plane (wish i had printed out that doc from above - i will for my next trip).

The GOOD thing about the story - i got out of line, went to one of the duty-free stores and was able to mail it to myself for about $5.

AND it made it to my house! YAY.

anyone else have any issue with a jetboil? will be flying to AZ in a few weeks (maybe) and to Portland OR in about 2 months.

granite_grrl

Mar 31, 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #13 of 16 (837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Timely thread! I was just thinking of the same thing-- how can I bring my whisperlite along when I go to Joshua tree in couple weeks?

After reading all the replies, I think I'll leave it at home, and either make do with cold foods, or bum hot water off of people who are driving there instead of flying b/c it sounds like too much hassle and a chance that I would have to leave it at theairport after all... Sure, I can clean the canister and air it out at home a few days before the rip, but how the hell would I do it on a return trip? I think I'll just buy some fuel for people whom I'll be asking for hot water, and be really nice to them :)

Yes, but if they confinscated your stove you'd have an excuse to go out and buy a new stove that actually simmers worth a damn!

Seriously though, they don't seen to have too many problems with the stoves themselves, but rather the fuel cannisters. Buying a smaller one when you're out there is pretty cheap and you can give it to some dirt bag when you leave.

And actually I have made two return flights with my stove in our bags. The first we bought a cannister when we got to Vegas, and then we emptied it out and dried it out and brought it home. The second time we just took our fuel cannisters along with the stoves and again didn't have any problems. Maybe we were lucky?

truello

Apr 7, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #14 of 16 (669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have flown twice since February with my stove checked and had zero problems. Just bought fuel when I arrived at the destination.

[edit] It has been used plenty.

(This post was edited by truello on Apr 7, 2008, 4:12 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 7, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #15 of 16 (658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As has been said - it's the fuel, not the stove. My suggestion in to not bring empty white gas cannisters, even if you think it's squeaky clean, because you are going to be searched, and depending on the searcher, your cannister swiped.

I suppose one could risk checking a new one, but frankly, the potential for confiscation in still there. Might as well buy it at destination. Better, to travel with butane cannister stoves one needn't worry about, because you will simply buy at destination.

I travel with my Jetboil and a 2-burner Coleman propane stove. Never had a problem, unless you count the time my brand new Coleman was disappeared..... that was theft, not security, and unpleasant to discover the first night in the backcountry. I also suggest checking your bags upon arrival, before leaving the airport, so you know if anything's been taken out.

Sure you will end up with extra fuel you cannot take home. Give it to a dirtbag. That's the way it works. If you fit the bill, chances are that at least at some point you'll be on the recipient end of the deal. I gave a nearly full propane to the neighbor 2 weeks ago, along with a few other items, and the gratitude was well worth experiencing. It pays to be kind.

tigerlilly

Apr 8, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #16 of 16 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [minexploration] Anyone flown with a stove recently? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

minexploration wrote:
I have never heard the never been used to fly with a stove. We just flew to Jtree and just bought a canister when we got there. Just pack it in your checked luggage and do not stress about it.

I've done this with my MSR Superfly a few times. A small MSR gas canister was $4, and I cook enough to make it cost effective to give away the slightly used canister before I left. Never had a problem finding a taker.

Kathy

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook