Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Apr 10, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #26 of 59 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
This makes me think of a touch question I almost asked last week. Someone asked if we should include gym routes on the database. I was gonna ask if prople feel that gym climbers (climbers that only climb in gyms, not people who train indoors/climb outdoors) are actually climbers? Is this kinda like someone who owns a fishing game for Nintento Wii calling themselves a fisherman? I should also note that my gym experience is extremely limited. I've only climbed indoors 3-4 times and was always left.......plasticised?

huh?

WVUCLMBR

Apr 10, 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #27 of 59 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have never climbed on actual rock are you a rockclimber?

stymingersfink

Apr 10, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #28 of 59 (1062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just another drinker with a climbing problem.

What was the question again?

BEER ME!

gunkmaster

Apr 10, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #29 of 59 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Irish and a climber. Looks like I'm screwed..... But it sure is fun. Cool

Gmburns2000

Apr 10, 2008, 3:34 PM
Post #30 of 59 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
If you have never climbed on actual rock are you a rockclimber?

Right, I got that. Sorry, I was confused about what that had to do with suicidal tendencies and drunkeness of climbers.

iron106

Apr 10, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #31 of 59 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkmaster] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are concerned that you or someone you know is suicidal then get immediate help! It is not easy to live with. I does not matter if you are a climber, drinker, or both, it is a serious issue. If not for you, the people that surround you.

If you are questioning your sanity about what you are doing, it will not hurt to ask someone.

A lot of people choose to "self medicate" themselves with alcohol, drugs, or activity (climbing). Just ask.

Sin

Apr 10, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #32 of 59 (1047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you climb in a gym I'd say you are a GymClimber, or a plasticclimber lol. Not a rockclimber.....

no_email_entered

Apr 10, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #33 of 59 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sin] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

people always made fun of me for strapping on two chalk bags---

until they saw me slip my King Cobra 40 in the second one.

i'm not suicidal, but i have funny thoughts when belaying my seconds like

'boy my knife is like really close to the rope, i mean really close, i mean if it accidently opened right now, i'm sure the rope could easily get cut, i mean wow look at how close it is, what a glorious swan dive that would be, i mean, i mean, uh, oh, uh------

---is that you mommy?'

anyone up for some multipitch this weekend?

funkystumpy

Apr 10, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #34 of 59 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sin wrote:
If you climb in a gym I'd say you are a GymClimber, or a plasticclimber lol. Not a rockclimber.....

Semantics...How about we are all climbers? Period, end of discussion.

Back to the OP: I am a climber and I do not drink (yes, I am over 21). Does that mean anything? No.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I am not suicidal.

(This post was edited by funkystumpy on Apr 10, 2008, 5:36 PM)

WVUCLMBR

Apr 10, 2008, 5:53 PM
Post #35 of 59 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Subtle mentioned that gym climbers are not suicidal (something about using super-absorbant pads) and I wanted to point out that Gym climbing isn't/shouldn't be dangerous as it is a more controlled situation. I probably should have made a seperate thread asking the "are gym attendees rockclimbers?", but I've been posting a lot lately and don't wanna anger the rc.com gods.

Gmburns2000

Apr 10, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #36 of 59 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Subtle mentioned that gym climbers are not suicidal (something about using super-absorbant pads) and I wanted to point out that Gym climbing isn't/shouldn't be dangerous as it is a more controlled situation. I probably should have made a seperate thread asking the "are gym attendees rockclimbers?", but I've been posting a lot lately and don't wanna anger the rc.com gods.

Ah, OK, I see the distinction. So folks who go outside are more likely to be participating in "suicidal" events as opposed to gym climbers, due to the relatively safety of gym climbing vs outside climbing. Kind of like hockey players who choose to be goalies vs playing on the nintendo wii. It takes an off-kiltered person to enjoy having 80mph frozen objects hurled at you, but it's completely sane to want to be a goalie in a game.

PS - I'm not making a distinction between who is a climber and who isn't here, just clarifying a possible difference in mind-set.

PPS - I still stand by my first statement that climbers seek life and not death in their endeavors.

grover

Apr 10, 2008, 6:16 PM
Post #37 of 59 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
kyote321 wrote:
drinkers with a climbing problem.

Thats hard to do, climbing with a drink in your handWink

That's what chalkbags are for.

Burp!

EvilMonkey

Apr 11, 2008, 9:40 AM
Post #38 of 59 (989 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by EvilMonkey [In reply to]
Report this Post

alpenweg

Apr 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #39 of 59 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is mixed with alcohol and other intoxicating elixirs
always has been always will b
if it affects my safety or another persons, then it is out of line

suicide is so self-centered to the extreme
can be induced by a imbalance of chemicals in the body or long periods of desperation

i have experienced both intoxication and suicidal thought
now that all intoxicating substances are eradicated from my being
i still have the emotions to deal with
these emotions at times says "take your life it is worthless anyway"

but then last week as i felt so alive leading my first 5.12 one fall and finishing, wow i was so alive and it was potentially dangerous

so one calls the shots for oneself
it is such a beautiful thing to climb be outside, learn to live to the fullest, no diploma or job can do this for me
not anything can do this for me except the experience and making judgement calls for myself

so today i chose life and no intoxication!

WVUCLMBR

Apr 11, 2008, 1:00 PM
Post #40 of 59 (960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EvilMonkey] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude? I was asking b/c lately climbing mag has presented several articles on suicide/drinking. Oh, and I want you to die on the toilet, hopefully while reading cosmopolitan.

geogoddess

Apr 11, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #41 of 59 (948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sin wrote:
WVUCLMBR wrote:
So i was just on climbing mags website and there is an article about a well know (not named) climber who drinks too much. Last month there were 3-4 stories about climbers that were depressed and suicidal. So my question is are we suicidal? Is climbing something that draws in people who are depressed or drink.....or does it cause us to be depressed/drink? Personaly, I used to drink a lot and now I excercise/climb instead. I've never tried to kill myself, but all my life I've been attracted to dangerous activities. I've been on some highball stuff @ Coopers with no pad and bad landings and realized that what I was doing was really dangerous but I didn't care. Is that suicidal or just stupid? I know this post differs from my usually lighthearted comments/flames, but I have been thinking about this since reading last months articles and I just wondered if anyone else ever pondered this?
I think that it would be kind of hard to admit you are suicidal and climbing on this forum. You would just be looking for attention, besides there would have to be an immediate intervention, lol. I was suicidal when I was younger, but I never looked for attention, or opened up about it to anyone, kinda jus coped with it by my self. I don’t think that climbing attracts that type of person. Then again, you can find a suicidal maniac in any area of life or sport. I personally think it’s totally the contrary. People who decide to do something with their lives genuinely climb, people who choose to experience their Life in this unordinary way actually do it to get every ounce of human potential out of our bodies, just because we know we can. That is why people push their limits. They aren’t consciously thinking "I want to die" while their run out on a climb. They want to get the most out of their lives. Personally, I climb because I feel connected to a higher source, and I am in no way religious. When I'm out in nature and I start to climb, all of the mental and emotional stress dissipates. It's gonna sound cheesy, but I feel like I belong in that atmosphere, I’m at peace with my life, and just feel happy to be alive, I feel as one with the universe. I feel the desert, forest, and mountain, come alive. I always speak with the rock before I climb, because it is a living thing. How can you desire to die in such a place so full of life, so full of energy? Climbing has taught me a host of valuable lessons that I've used out side of my life. I don't know maybe climbing doesn’t mean this much to some of you, but if you think I’m a bit loony, it doesn’t matter. I climb for myself. If you think that I’m crazy for thinking this way, than I guess this is the type of person climbing has attracted. My next big step is adventure climbing, and take it from a former member in good standing with the death squad, climbing is about the search for meaning and a great expression of......... life.
-Sin

well said, Sin. I love this post.

sky7high

Apr 11, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #42 of 59 (930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's just something about hanging your life on a 10mm rope that makes you realize how fragile your life is, and how everything you've worked so hard for can go to shit in less than one sec.

EvilMonkey

Apr 11, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #43 of 59 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey folks, sorry about my earlier post. it's deleted now. i was just having a dark moment. sorry to wvu for coming down so hard on you. my bad

subtle

Apr 12, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #44 of 59 (881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:

Gym climbing shouldn't be dangerous since you can control your environment to a much higher degree...but ironically it seems like gym climbing is somehow more dangerous. Without thinking too hard, I can remember seeing a spinal injury from leading, a massively compound-fractured leg while top-roping, some seven or eight broken or severely damaged ankles and more hand and finger carnage than Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill 2. The big difference is, if you frak yourself up during your belay test with an un-necessary yet crowd pleasing figure-four, you get an ice pack and a lawyer...in the backcountry you get to drag yourself six miles back to the car with all of your new coyote friends. Hope you packed your Hanzo sword, broham...

Allez. Pai Mei says 'Spoons not forks'. Homard.

dr_feelgood

Apr 12, 2008, 3:59 AM
Post #45 of 59 (862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subtle] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blah blah blah if you think you want to blow your head off or go freesolo something three grades above your lead limit just drink more blah blah blah.

notapplicable

Apr 12, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #46 of 59 (835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EvilMonkey wrote:
hey folks, sorry about my earlier post. it's deleted now. i was just having a dark moment. sorry to wvu for coming down so hard on you. my bad

Dont get me wrong, apologizing was a good move but you shouldnt delete posts.

Once the cards are on the table and all that...

EvilMonkey

Apr 12, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #47 of 59 (827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
EvilMonkey wrote:

Dont get me wrong, apologizing was a good move but you shouldnt delete posts.

Once the cards are on the table and all that...
yeah, i know, but sometimes you gotta bend the rules. it was pretty f-ed up and i decided i didn't want it up for everybody to read.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 14, 2008, 1:04 PM
Post #48 of 59 (782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah man...i'm the last person on here who's feelings you need to worry about hurting. I simply started this thread to see if recent articles were overstating the effects of alcohol/depression on climbers. I knew it would heat some people up. I agree with notapplicable (even though he wears socks when he climbs) in that posts shouldn't be deleted unless they violate some rc.com commandment. But thanks for the sorry anyways. Peace bro.

dingus

Apr 14, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #49 of 59 (781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think folks should be able to delete THEIR posts any friggin time they wish, whether they've been replied to or not. I spit on this notion that once posted it is forever the property of you all.

The post belongs to the poster. He who can destroy a thing controls that thing.

HAH!

DMT

Partner epoch

Apr 14, 2008, 1:13 PM
Post #50 of 59 (777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Climbers=suicidal drunks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
I think folks should be able to delete THEIR posts any friggin time they wish, whether they've been replied to or not. I spit on this notion that once posted it is forever the property of you all.

The post belongs to the poster. He who can destroy a thing controls that thing.

HAH!

DMT
You have a delete button. Have at it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook