Premier Sponsor:

nepaclimber

Apr 15, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 4 (271 views)
Shortcut

Xcountry Road trip help out!
Report this Post
Can't Post

i need some info on camping and hiking trails that i can bring my dog on, me and my girlfriend are taking our pooch cross country and we need some places to camp out in the back country since national parks don’t let dogs on trails. here are a list of states we will be visiting.
-Colorado
-Wyoming
-Montana
-Oregon
-California
-Nevada
-Arizona
-New Mexico
we would like to do 2-3 day hikes and good peaks would be fun too, but a dog has to be able to make it too. thanks for the help in advance.

reno

Apr 15, 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #2 of 4 (268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nepaclimber] Xcountry Road trip help out! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, part of it will depend on the fitness level of your dog. They, like humans, need to "get in shape" before taking on a hard physical challenge. If you've got an overweight 10 year old lab, my suggestions will change compared to a fit 3 year old Australian Cattle Dog.

That said: There are literally hundreds of trails in Arizona that are dog conducive, as long as YOU KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH! (If, for no other reason, than dogs get naturally curious to new sounds and smells... like, say, the sound of a Mojave Rattlesnake.)

Check out the Canine Hiking Club of Arizona's website at http://www.mydog8az.com/k9hike.html

There is a list of dog-friendly Colorado State Parks available here: http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/besthikes.html (Click "Colorado" in the index, then scroll down. You can also search other states there.)

A nimble dog can make the top of Humphrey's Peak in Flagstaff. Good hike, about 9 miles round trip via the trail at Snowbowl, but strenuous and at altitude (starts around 9K feet, if memory serves.... been a while.)

Another cool trail is Lookout Canyon #121, near the Big Ditch (Grand Canyon.) More trail options exist here: http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=15283

Finally, there's a book called, ironically, "Best Hikes with Dogs: Arizona." You can find it on Amazon.com, or by clicking here:

http://www.amazon.com/...208220853&sr=8-1

There's probably a similar book for Colorado, California, and the other states you mention.

(And, of course, make sure you keep your dog on a leash, pick up it's poop, and get it plenty of water.)

nepaclimber

Apr 15, 2008, 1:15 AM
Post #3 of 4 (262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Xcountry Road trip help out! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yea he is a young collie so he is a ball of energy thanks for the tips though

petsfed

Apr 15, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #4 of 4 (251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Xcountry Road trip help out! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bears repeating.

reno wrote:
KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH!

Don't feel insulted, just understand that if you cannot (or will not) control your pet, someone will do it for you, and they will not be kind about it. Livestock harassment is VERY serious business in Wyoming, so if a rancher tells you to leash your dog or he'll shoot it, remember that you have no legal recourse (and may have to deal with some legal issues yourself) if he does so.

If you are in bear country, DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG. It ain't a beloved companion and member of your family, it is an appetizer that won't keep quiet. Pick your trails to avoid bear country, so the Wind Rivers are out, as well as the Yellowstone/Jackson/Cody region if you don't have a hard sided vehicle (or a hotel room) to let it sleep in.

That's my best advice for trail selection in Wyoming anyway.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook