RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jeepthing

Apr 28, 2008, 1:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1365 views)
Shortcut

new river rendevous West Virginia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This year i am making my fourth trip to the new river gorge, but my first to the rendevous. I live in Birmingham, Alabama and will be driving up a week before the rendevous. I am looking for some local knowledge about where to camp and what to bring. I have room for one more person if there is anyone interested in spending a week at the gorge. From what I do know it is a great event. This year they are going 0 waste. That in itself says alot about the dedication to keeping our image as climbers on a level above most other events. The info I got is from Waterstoneoutdoors.com. Any other info or comments are greatlly appreciated.

truello

Apr 29, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepthing] new river rendevous West Virginia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

During the event everybody will be camping at Burnwood which is on the north side of the gorge. It is a day-use area that the NPS allows us to use overnight for this event. It will only be open for use Friday and Saturday, though. For the other nights, if you want the climber atmosphere go to Rogers. There are also a couple of other places scattered around that are more quiet and probably more expensive (...but flatter).

If you haven't already, check out http://www.newriverrendezvous.com. There is much more information there than I can provide.

justroberto

Apr 29, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepthing] new river rendevous West Virginia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think to camp at Burnwood you have to pre-register for the whole shindig. There are maybe 200 of 700 spots left.

Roger's is good if you want to party afterwards and you have a sober driver to get you there. Chestnut Creek Campground is right across Highway 19 from burnwood, cost 6 or 8 bucks a person, and is quiet. The rules there are a little over the top, so if you want to stay up late, have a decent fire, or, you know, have fun after the festivities, then this might not be the place for you.

truello

Apr 30, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] new river rendevous West Virginia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes you need to preregister, its $25. Also as I was reading the rendezvous site I noticed that Burnwood will be open for Thursday night camping too. I should've known... I camped there Thursday of last year.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 30, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] new river rendevous West Virginia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can we burn wood @ burnwood?Smile Just wondered if fires were ok there? If so I will be hookin up the camp pie's.

Also, there is another thread about Rendezvous, we should limit posting to one thread. IMHO.

(This post was edited by WVUCLMBR on Apr 30, 2008, 3:19 PM)

ashe140

May 6, 2008, 4:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] new river rendevous West Virginia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no individual fires aren't aloud at burnwood. there is usually a large communal bon fire though.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook