RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

aznrockclimber82

Jul 5, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Barracuda's Anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to post up and find if anyone has tried the Barracuda's (by La Sportiva) yet. I'm looking into purchasing a pair and they come with the katana last....anyone with thoughts....critique's?

moonshine505

Jul 5, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Re: Barracuda's Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

great shoe, but unfortunately those with wide feet need not apply. I love mine, but they're not very versitile for me since I've completely overblown them on width, but they're still too long for how I'd like them to fit. So, they're going to be my hueco shoe, for steep toe/heel hooking, and not much else.

aznrockclimber82

Jul 5, 2005, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumpified!

mattm

Jul 5, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great shoe - i own two pairs - on their way to over throwing my miuras as my favorite pair. Not sure where the "don't wit wide feet" care from. I've got boats and they work just fine - certainly better than 5.10 fit. Try them on - I love mine.

blgsrcks

Jul 5, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. I have a fairly wide foot and they fit fine, much better than my Anasazi's. They are an excellent face and thin crack shoe.

rx_7addict

Jul 9, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Id have to agree with matt. I have the barracudas and the katanas. the barracudas are the best fitting shoes I've had so far. I also have a slightly wide foot. After a few times to the gym they worked around my foot perfectly. I love them.

EDIT: soft soft shoe

splat

Jul 11, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had my Barracudas for a few weeks now. I do dig'em, but the only real issue that I have w/ them is that the glue connecting the toe box rubber to the top of the shoe is peeling away @ points. I've used the magical Aqua-Seal to fix'em... just annoyed that I had to do it on a road trip. :evil: Also, the Miuras, which was the shoe I wanted, didn't fit my foot & the Barracudas fit just fine. I've had friends that the reverse is true for. All & all... super cool shoe!!

aznrockclimber82

Jul 11, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome, thanks for the Info....Just ordered my pair yesterday. If anyone else has any info on the shoes please post....I especially like the critiques. good FYI stuff.

Monk.

acarpenter

May 28, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aznrockclimber82] Barracuda's Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey does anyone know how the barracudas compare to the acopa merlins? they sound pretty similar

acarpenter

May 28, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does anyone know how they compare to the sportiva venoms

rockgirlCO

Jun 8, 2008, 2:45 AM
Post #11 of 16 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acarpenter] Barracuda's Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Love my Barracudas (female average feet). They have a thinner midsole than Katanas but otherwise are the same. I wish they came with velcro because even though they are not killing my toes, they aren't standing around/walking around shoes if you've got them fit right. So it's a bit of a nuisance to have to sit down, unlace and remove, then reverse, when going to climb.

Will hate to resole these puppies and possibly lose some of the downturn!

My toe rubber has pulled away from the mesh too, in one spot. Haven't fixed yet. (Will ask La Sportiva what kind of glue is best for such a repair.)

trantrum

Jun 8, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of the 'Cuda's and think they are one of the better fitting shoes out there on the market. I have a fairly wide feet and they fit extremely well. Not quite sure what the other person was talking about not fitting wide feet. Don't forget you can get a better fit w/ their lacing style. The shoes have lacing holes towards the end entry of the shoe and you kinda find which hole fits your need the best. The only complaint I have w/ Sportiva would be the rubber meeting the exposed leather part of the shoe at the heel. It peels off possibly from doing heel hooks or something. My Miura's did the same thing. I glued mine back on. Other than that, get them sized correctly and you'll have a great pair of shoes.

tradrenn

Jun 8, 2008, 4:31 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have mine for about 3 weeks now. I bought them mostly for cracks but also use them on slab. I find them to be the most comfortable shoe I ever own.

rashumon

Jun 9, 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome shoe! very comfortable and yet very high performance, sensitive and accurate. not as stiff for edging as the Miura but better fitting (for me) and more sensitive. its my fav shoe for routes with its great balance of softness, sensitivity, poise and reasonable edging power. not as amazing for lots of heel hooks or toe pulling on roofs... (but dnt get me wrong they are still great for this stuff, its just that there are even better shoes for the ultra steep stuff like Cobra, Solution and Testarossa)
If I had to use only one pair of shoes I'd have a hard time choosing between these and the Cobras.

Oh and BTW, size em small, as small as you can, i sized mine 42 and my Sportiva trekking boot size is 45, they will stretch a bit above the toes and will still be very comfy but better performing...

P.s. they feel nothing like the Katanas (way better and more comfy) even tough they're both based on the same last... go figure...

(This post was edited by rashumon on Jun 9, 2008, 11:40 PM)

CaptainPolution

Jun 12, 2008, 7:59 AM
Post #15 of 16 (871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acarpenter wrote:
does anyone know how they compare to the sportiva venoms

totally different type of shoe. I find that venoms edge and perform better on most types of climbing then cudas. cudas were a great all around trad shoe, multipitch, whatever but for single pitch of anything that isnt crack the venoms work awesome.

rcnc21

Jun 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #16 of 16 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CaptainPolution] Barracuda's Anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a pair of barracudas last summer in Squish and LOVE them. Perfect combination of edging/crack-climbing/smearing performance. I blew the toe out and replaced them w/ some Miuras while waiting for the resole. For comparison sake, the miuras are the best edging shoe I have ever worn and they work great out here in NC on the face/overhanging climbs. But the barracudas are far superior (in my opinion) for pure friction on slabs, and I wouldn't even want to begin to try to shove the miuras in a crack.The barracudas are still my first choice on most of the routes I climb out west.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook