Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dbrayack

Apr 28, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 30 (11477 views)
Shortcut

Woodland Walls CLOSED  ()
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just talked with an attorney from Greer for about 30 minutes.

Climbing at Woodland Walls - on Greer property is CLOSED - it always has been.

The bolts will all be chopped and guards will be patrolling the area handing out tresspassing tickets.

You guys know that it was closed and you went there anyway. What the heck were you thinking?

Oh and much thanks to WHO EVER TOLD THEM THAT I SAID IT WAS OK TO CLIMB THERE TRYING TO GET OUT OF A TICKET.

Greer called me and asked why I (or any other source) was telling people that it was OK to climb there -

"Oh it says on Brayackmedia.com that its ok to climb there - and there's photos of it too there..."

Which is complete BS.

There's so much good climbing and bouldering at Coopers Rock and surround areas - why even waste your time.

portrero99

Apr 29, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #2 of 30 (11411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone tried to approach this issue through the access fund?

WVUCLMBR

Apr 29, 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #3 of 30 (11321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [portrero99] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan is right on the $$$$. 3 years ago woodlands was a lot less crowded then it is now. I am constantly hearing people @ coopers talking about woodlands and even giving directions to out-of-towners/n00bs. It is messed up that someone mentioned Dan who doesn't even live around here anymore. We all knew woodlands was closed and we continued to climb there. Greer will never sell the property due to environmental/legal reasons. I'm pretty sure the access fund/local climbers have tried and hit the same brick wall. The only one happy about this is my wife (she hates gettin dragged to woodlands). The fact that greer is gonna invest the time to chop the bolts shows they are serious now. As soon as my bolt gun gets here I'm gonna bolt Coopers so all you sport climbers aren't homeless. It is a sad day in West-by-God........

CMTomasetti

Apr 29, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 30 (11268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just so I can get my facts straight who/what is Greer? A company or a person? What is the firms full name? Thanks.

CMT

WVUCLMBR

Apr 29, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #5 of 30 (11253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CMTomasetti] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greer= Greer Limestone. WV largest limestone operation with over 500 million tons of reserves (like the one's under woodlands). The Greer plant is located a couple miles down the road from woodlands. Phone: 304-773-0412 or http://www.greerlimestone.com/

Partner climboard

Apr 29, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #6 of 30 (11252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CMTomasetti] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are a company- Greer Industries, Inc.

http://www.greerindustries.com/index.html

(This post was edited by climboard on Apr 29, 2008, 2:54 PM)

markc

Apr 29, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #7 of 30 (11248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been amazed by the number of people that openly discuss climbing at Woodland either online or in person. When it comes up, I've frequently mentioned that the area is closed, that it's occasionally patrolled, and that I won't climb there. Especially of late, the reaction has been dismissive. "Closed? You should have seen the number of people there this past weekend!" Then people act surprised when there's an issue?

This sort of thing doesn't do us any good in the long run. It's hard to make arguments to open access when land owners or managers see us disregarding the clear wishes of other owners/managers.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 30, 2008, 1:23 PM
Post #8 of 30 (11172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please shoot me your info if you are interested in working on access @ woodlands. We are gonna try and work with greer on this one. Thanks.
Bryan...

mike_devildog

Apr 30, 2008, 2:14 PM
Post #9 of 30 (11157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not trying to be a negative nancy hear..but i personally think trying to work with Greer is a complete waste of time! The issue has been pushed in the past, working with the access fund to purchase the land the Woodland Wall sits on. Local people talked with the actual owner of Greer, and he wont budge on the matter at all!! Its safe to say the dude doesnt give a shit about the topic at all! Its definently a bummer, great wall so close! Lokks like Coops it is! Peace to all!Unsure

WVUCLMBR

Apr 30, 2008, 2:31 PM
Post #10 of 30 (11146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mike_devildog] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah!!! The devildog is back!!! Didn't you work for negative nancy?Tongue I think most of the previous efforts were 1/2 assed b/c we could still climb there. Now that we can't I think the effort will be more.....motivated? As far as Coopers goes, my bolt gun came in the mail yesterday so I'll be up @ sunset wall tonight.

truello

Apr 30, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #11 of 30 (11119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There was a crack there that I did my first lead on. Could you bolt it so that I don't have to bring my rack next time?

Thanks

WVUCLMBR

Apr 30, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #12 of 30 (11100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm gonna bolt everything...don't worry. I can't afford actual bolts so I am gonna use modified coathangers. Was the crack Mr. Clean? That was my first lead too. And for all you boulderers...don't worry...I'm not gonna bolt any of your pebbles....but I am gonna chip the hell out of them.Cool

skillsaw

Jun 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #13 of 30 (10836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Dan is right on the $$$$. 3 years ago woodlands was a lot less crowded then it is now. I am constantly hearing people @ coopers talking about woodlands and even giving directions to out-of-towners/n00bs. It is messed up that someone mentioned Dan who doesn't even live around here anymore. We all knew woodlands was closed and we continued to climb there. Greer will never sell the property due to environmental/legal reasons. I'm pretty sure the access fund/local climbers have tried and hit the same brick wall. The only one happy about this is my wife (she hates gettin dragged to woodlands). The fact that greer is gonna invest the time to chop the bolts shows they are serious now. As soon as my bolt gun gets here I'm gonna bolt Coopers so all you sport climbers aren't homeless. It is a sad day in West-by-God........
So, Dan and Tim, the two guys responsible for putting together a Coopers Rock guidebook, which we all know will attract more climbers, have both moved away. That is the classic move, climbers get bored with an area or circumstances move them away and BAM!!! they put out a guidebook hoping other people will then associate their names to an area. So Lame!!! Why not put out the guide before you fellas moved on to other areas?

dbrayack

Jun 18, 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #14 of 30 (10827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skillsaw] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skillsaw wrote:
WVUCLMBR wrote:
So, Dan and Tim, the two guys responsible for putting together a Coopers Rock guidebook, which we all know will attract more climbers, have both moved away. That is the classic move, climbers get bored with an area or circumstances move them away and BAM!!! they put out a guidebook hoping other people will then associate their names to an area. So Lame!!! Why not put out the guide before you fellas moved on to other areas?

Shrug - life continues...

truello

Jun 18, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #15 of 30 (10820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skillsaw] Woodland Walls CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Coopers was crowded way before a guidebook ever came out.

mike_devildog

Jun 18, 2008, 2:16 PM
Post #16 of 30 (10796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan and Tim both graduated from college..and then moved on their way..I highly doubt they got bored with Coopers..Theres a lot of rock out there..it would take a while to get bored!
Sly

charley

Jun 18, 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #17 of 30 (10771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to go Dan, spend all that time and money to publish a guide book, then leave the area. If everyone thought like that we might not have any guide books.
I don't see were this kind of thinking is doing anything for the problem at woodland. It seems as if the damage has been done there. If several cars show up every day and ppl are boldly walking into an area like they own it, the landowners will notice. If they don't want you there they will stop it. I have nothing to offer for a solution. If ppl have talked with the owners and they say keep out, there's not much you can do.

dbrayack

Jun 18, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #18 of 30 (10750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually did get bored - did every problem I thought I would ever do (and a few more.)

Moved onto the New...of course, I sorta burned out of there too - so I'm moving onto the red....

mike_devildog

Jun 18, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #19 of 30 (10742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright then...there you go everybody..from the man himself!! Have fun at the Red!

truello

Jun 18, 2008, 6:35 PM
Post #20 of 30 (10727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
Moved onto the New...of course, I sorta burned out of there too - so I'm moving onto the red....

So when is your guidebook for the New coming out? Tongue

dbrayack

Jun 18, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #21 of 30 (10719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll be for sale on my website in probably 6-9 months....

Wink

WVUCLMBR

Jun 18, 2008, 6:51 PM
Post #22 of 30 (10717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey devildog....wanna pick up where Dan left off (or out) and do a Toproping/Trad (I know there are like 4 trad routes) guide for Coopers? It would be a lot of fun and we could rename everything and give ourselves credit for all the FA's (since all the FA'ers are probably dead or in nursing homes)Wink

mike_devildog

Jun 18, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #23 of 30 (10697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I bet that would go over real well!Sly

dbrayack

Jun 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #24 of 30 (10624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys really make me laugh (or in modern computer speak - laf)

WVUCLMBR

Jun 23, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #25 of 30 (10609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry man.....we will give all the FA'eers credit.
Here are just a few of the Original Coopers climbing crew:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook