RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

jamescoleman

Jul 6, 2008, 3:54 AM
Post #1 of 22 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Can't use equipment
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

I brought a starter package (harness, fuse belay, carabiner, chalk bag, and chalk) new. I'm just wondering what reasons why an indoor gym will not let me use the gear that I brought. I can understand if the harness was ripped or the carabiner and/or fuse belay was damaged. None of the gear looked messed up when I got it.

coolcat83

Jul 6, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #2 of 22 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamescoleman] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll bite, i've never heard of a gym where they won't let you use your own harness. I have been to many gyms (most) where they want you to use their belay devices. Did they give you a reason?

jamescoleman

Jul 6, 2008, 4:26 AM
Post #3 of 22 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't brought my gear to any indoor gyms yet. When I visited one, the guy told me to use their gear first on my first go. I was just wondering just for a heads up or something incase I should send something back or buy a different piece of equipment.

shoo

Jul 6, 2008, 4:37 AM
Post #4 of 22 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some gyms will test you on their equipment and then let you use whatever you want.

rtwilli4

Jul 6, 2008, 4:49 AM
Post #5 of 22 (3481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea they probably just want to test you with their gear to avoid some dumb ass who works at the gym not knowing how to put YOUR harness on the right way and killing you.

jamescoleman

Jul 6, 2008, 5:18 AM
Post #6 of 22 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright. That sounds like a better idea lol. I thought everyone who works at the gym would have to know how to use the gear.

taydude

Jul 6, 2008, 1:28 PM
Post #7 of 22 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you'd be surprised... not all gyms are made equal.

JohnCook

Jul 6, 2008, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 22 (3404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't expect the staff at gyms to know what they are doing. In my experience in the USA, most gyms employ school kids because they are cheap, and then try to teach them the absolute basics so they can check on customers (or look as though they are when the boss walks in!) I have seen staff asking climbers if another customer is belaying properly, when they have already got a climber at the top of the wall!!!
Ensure that you know how to put on your own harness, use your own belay device (for top roping, walls usually expect you to use their belay devices,however bad they are.) etc. Then at the wall, if they insist, use their stuff as they ask, for the safety checks, then ask them to watch you when you first use your own stuff in there, then just climb and enjoy.
If they won't let you use your own gear, find a professional wall, the knows what they are doing.
In the UK, because of bad weather, there is no shortage of cheap climbers to work indoors

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #9 of 22 (3357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JohnCook] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So should I expand off of the basic knots that they teach me? I don't have my own rope to study what they teach me. Any suggestions on what type of rope? This is gonna sound stupid but when I called about the belay devices that I can use, they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I talked one guy on the phone that I met at one gym and a lady at the other. I know someone can talk about something and not know how to do it. I'll make sure to goto the gym with my gear and put it on and have them check me out.

JohnCook

Jul 7, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #10 of 22 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let bthe gym check your gear to make sure it meets their requirements, then be sociable, and meet other more experienced climbers, especially thye ones who climb outdoors, and ask them for advice.
Most gyms have topropes already set up with the knots tied so all you have to do is clip in and your belayer will clip the attached belayer to their harness. Check each other carefully, double back on harness clipped in and gates locked on all carabiners etc.
Until you get good enough to lead (most walls expect a minimum standard of TR before they will teach/inspect your lead technique both clipping and belaying.) you won't need to tie knots. In the meantime get one of the experienced climbers to show you the few knots that are needed and practice on any piece of rope you have. When you start climbing outdoors try to find a local club, or group that will take you with them and show you the ropes, so to speak.
Learning to climb safely is a kind of apprenticeship, you learn from people who actually know more then you, and the best place to meet them is at a climbing venue. Often, in my experience, most climbing wall staff know just enough to cover the wall for insurance purposes and are cheap to employ. Ask the staff at your local wall who climbs what and how long they have been climbing and where they have climbed. (Don't be surprised if they admit that they have only climbed since they got the job, at least then you know) Also ask the regular customers questions, they will be helpful, mostly, and you will soon find someone who will offer to show you.
Good luck, enjoy, stay safe, and live forever!

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #11 of 22 (3293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JohnCook] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet!
This gym told me that they will teach the knots that I will need to know to belay a person but I need a partner (haven't found one yet and hoping to ask a girl on a date)
Would it be best when tying knots to tie my own instead of having someone else tie them? just incase something does happens. Other than that thanks for the information everyone :)

rtwilli4

Jul 7, 2008, 5:53 AM
Post #12 of 22 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you definitely want to tie your own knot... and once you start climbing more you'll need to, even if all you do it top rope.

My advice is to get a cheap rope (doesn't have to be a climbing rope but should be about the same diameter if possible), and go to a University book store and get the book for a Physical Education Rock Climbing class. Cheaper than getting one of those books from REI and it will teach you all the knots you need to know.

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 5:58 AM
Post #13 of 22 (3258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
go to a University book store and get the book for a Physical Education Rock Climbing class.

I honestly don't think that alot of the college bookstores around here will carry PE Rock Climbing books. I do have one college that might because they have a rock wall. Any other suggestions for books?

rtwilli4

Jul 7, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #14 of 22 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they have a rock wall they probably have a PE class. If your not sure, check out these books:

Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert) by Craig Luebben

Knots for Climbers, 2nd (How To Climb Series) by Craig Luebben

Also if you hit an outdoor shop they should have small cheap guides with basics.... I think Falcon Guides are pretty good.

I'd recommend just finding something that teaches a lot of basics.... a lot of the 'knot books' won't make a lot of sense to you if you don't know the vocabulary.

andy64

Jul 7, 2008, 9:33 AM
Post #15 of 22 (3222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in G.R. also I don't know of a gym that won't let you use your own gear. Where did you go?

shoo

Jul 7, 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #16 of 22 (3207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Far cheaper:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexclimbing.php

You want the figure 8 follow through as well as the double fisherman's. On this site, it's mislabeled as a double overhand. It's a double fisherman's, not a double overhand. The one that says double fisherman's is actually 2 double fisherman's knots used in conjunction with each other.

I have contacted the site owner and requested he change to correct this.

edited to add bit about the mislabeling and to make link clickable.

Edited further to note: The double fisherman's you'll want to be tying will be using the free end of the rope to tie a knot around the rope it's paired with. Hard to describe. Link to a picture below.

http://z.about.com/...Figure8Knot028_4.jpg

(This post was edited by shoo on Jul 7, 2008, 12:16 PM)

Carnage

Jul 7, 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i always tell people who come in for the first time to use the gyms equipment instead of buying there own. I feel bad if someone spends 100$ on a harness and shit and then only comes in twice.

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 1:26 PM
Post #18 of 22 (3163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andy64] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andy64 wrote:
I'm in G.R. also I don't know of a gym that won't let you use your own gear. Where did you go?

I went to Higher Grounds, Inside Moves, and the Collective. The Collective is actually a health club or something like that.

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow I thought the books would be expensive. I'll make sure to pick up a few books. I've looked at the websites for knot tying and I honestly couldn't figure them out.

ax

Jul 7, 2008, 2:39 PM
Post #20 of 22 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jamescoleman wrote:
I went to Higher Grounds, Inside Moves, and the Collective. The Collective is actually a health club or something like that.

Since your in MI... you simply must go to Planet Rock. Besides being one of the biggest and arguably the best climbing gym in the US, I know all of the staff personally. And know that they all know very well what they're doing! They will answer all of your questions and make sure you're safe and sound however long it may take. .. I'm surprised your experiences at the other gyms in MI left you with so many basic questions which should have been answered. Must have been the wrong person on the wrong day.
... I do now work at PR... learned to climb there a long time ago... and like so many other satisfied members... have now been climbing for many years... here and a zillion other places inside and out...
Smile check it out!

jamescoleman

Jul 7, 2008, 2:46 PM
Post #21 of 22 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ax] Can't use equipment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ax wrote:
jamescoleman wrote:

Since your in MI... you simply must go to Planet Rock. Besides being one of the biggest and arguably the best climbing gym in the US, I know all of the staff personally. And know that they all know very well what they're doing! They will answer all of your questions and make sure you're safe and sound however long it may take. .. I'm surprised your experiences at the other gyms in MI left you with so many basic questions which should have been answered. Must have been the wrong person on the wrong day.
... I do now work at PR... learned to climb there a long time ago... and like so many other satisfied members... have now been climbing for many years... here and a zillion other places inside and out...
Smile check it out!

I'll make sure to get out there but that is a long drive out near Detroit.

ax

Jul 7, 2008, 2:48 PM
Post #22 of 22 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'd be close to the Ann Arbor PR...

What is the value of your peace of mind in a life or death activity. (sounds like you haven't found it yet) Is that worth the drive?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook