RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

fivesix

Jul 26, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Climb up so Kids can Grow Up!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We need your help.

We are a team of climbers that are trying to raise funds for children in Africa who are either born with AIDS or have AIDS.

Our team is the KayneKanyeClimbers and you can Visit our fundraising page! @ http://www.firstgiving.com/kanyekanyeclimbers
There you can pledge a donation to our team, join our team or pledge to an individual that you might know like me, http://www.firstgiving.com/doncraig For my fund raising I have added a little pledge game of sorts so that way I have something in mind to try my hardest. Check out my page and see if you with to support in a fun way!

Also check out our facebook group for more info on joining our team or just enjoying the fun and support! http://www.facebook.com/....php?gid=19966841436

Why you may ask, why support us? Well there are not just many amazing reasons to support the chlidrens cause to have a normal and fuffilling life, we have also added many advantages. For instance, at our fund raising event on SEPT 6, 2008, 7-10 PM. We'll have a GIANT PARTY at Inner Peaks, Charlotte, NC. Theres a Dyno and pull-up comp, a raffle off basket with over $1000 worth of goodies, and much more! Please join us and come help us raise funds and awareness!

On SEPT. 20/21, 2008 - Our team will climb at the NEW RIVER GORGE to help raise the awareness and the funds need to support these children.

Thanks for taking the time to support us and hopefully you'll find the time to pledge a donation. See our cause @ http://www.climbupsokidscangrowup.com/index.html

fivesix

Jul 31, 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fivesix] Climb up so Kids can Grow Up! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks to all who have been viewing our site and making donations. we made it into the local news today! http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/734361.html

Climbing for a cause
Team urges more to join fundraiser for African youths with HIV/AIDS
By Nancy Wang
nwang@charlotteobserver.com
WANT TO CLIMB OR DONATE?

Craig and the other Kanyekanye climbers are hosting a party Sept. 6 from 7 to 10p.m. at Charlotte's Inner Peaks to raise pledges. Inner Peaks is located at 9535 Monroe Road. For more information contact Ladianne Mandel at Ladianne@earthlink.net
On Sept. 20 and 21, Donovan Craig will climb 1,500 feet up the face of the New River Gorge in West Virginia.

Craig, along with his climbing team Kanyekanye Climbers (named after the Zulu phrase for “all together”), hopes to earn $5,000 in pledges to purchase anti-retroviral medicine for African children affected by HIV/AIDS.

The team of 10 local climbers is raising money as part of the second annual “Climb Up So Kids Can Grow Up” fundraiser.

Organized by the American Foundation for Children with AIDS and the American Alpine Institute, the event adapts the classic walk-a-thon model for outdoor sports – including cycling, hiking, climbing and running. Craig is one of hundreds of participants and volunteers who are raising awareness for the event.

Originally from South Africa, Craig moved to Charlotte in mid-2004 and sought ways to engage in outdoor sports. He soon fell in love with outdoor climbing, even going on to manage Charlotte's Inner Peaks gym and teaching others how to climb.

“Once you get into climbing, you start to explore your limits, not just physically but psychologically, as well,” Craig said.

So when one of his climbing students, Ladianne Mandel, approached Craig to participate in the AIDS charity event, Craig signed on and set out to recruit a climbing team. For Craig, the cause is especially poignant because of his connection to Africa, where AIDS rates are among the world's highest.

“I grew up in South Africa, so I saw how people and children suffered,” Craig said. “And I grew up in the younger generation that really embraced people helping people.”

Everyone from the occasional jogger to the elite hiker is encouraged to gather pledges for completing a physical challenge.

“The idea is to go out, do something good for yourself, for your own health while saving the lives of some kids in Africa,” said Tanya Weaver, the executive director of the American Foundation for Children with AIDS and the event organizer.

Climbers, hikers, cyclists and runners from 30 states, France and Kenya participated in last year's event, which raised $15,500. This year, it has grown to include all 50 states in addition to Colombia, Costa Rica, Kenya and Papua New Guinea.

“We wanted to make this event easy and accessible for everyone,” Weaver said. “You don't need to be in tiptop shape or to be able to do some crazy challenge. You can go for a good walk or climb a set of stairs and still raise money.”

The American Foundation for Children with AIDS is also offering prizes to encourage participation. The individual who raises the most money wins the opportunity to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with a partner. The team that earns the most pledges gets a 10-day safari in Namibia for two.

“My hope for the event is that everybody will have a great time and enjoy putting their healthy bodies to use to help others,” Mandel said.

NiNe

Jul 31, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fivesix] Climb up so Kids can Grow Up! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This looks like such a solid event and fundraiser. Im in the fight against HIV/AIDS and Poverty in Africa with another organization and its always really cool to see these fundraisers and people caring about whats going on around the globe. I would definitely show up to this if I didnt live in Canada and head back to school in sept. I wish the participants the best of luck and I hope they shoot well beyond their $5000 goal!

fivesix

Aug 1, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NiNe] Climb up so Kids can Grow Up! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks very much for your support. just your kiind words mean a lot to what we are doing. its great to know that there are others out there who are selfless, good on yaWink

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook