Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

straylight

May 25, 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #1 of 15 (12608 views)
Shortcut

Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's been a few years since anyone posted a fair review of Go Vertical, so I thought I'd take up the charge. From what I can tell, things have changed quite a bit since 2003.

PROS:
  • Very large, very tall (up to 60 ft vertical)
  • TR and bouldering routes updated regularly
  • Good variety of technical and physical climbs including stemming and roof routes
  • Few spinners, those that exist are fixed upon notification
  • Reasonably spacious layout
  • Knowledgeable, helpful, friendly staff
  • Route-setters almost always willing to give advice
  • Locker rooms
  • Water fountain
  • "Lounge" area
  • Good location

CONS:
  • Practically an oven on warm days (>75 degrees)
  • Route taping can be confusing: Similar colours too close together
  • Lead routes change infrequently: Some over 6 months old
  • No pro shop
  • Expensive membership ($65/month), no student rates

I'm sure people can add a few items to each list, but these are the ones that come to mind. Overall, I'm rather pleased with Go Vertical, although I question whether I'll be able to climb there over the summer due to the heat. Regardless, it's vastly superior to Doylestown Rock Gym, which is basically a closet with an awesome pro shop.

• bredto

May 25, 2007, 6:33 PM
    Post #2 of 15 (12577 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [straylight] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

It's true that Go Vertical is a huge and impressive. It was great getting tired on easy climbs because they are so tall! Sport climbs take up nearly half the gym which I think is awesome. My gripe is the few times I went I got vibed pretty hard. I tried to talk to other climbers, and they wouldn't even break a smile. Maybe if you climbed there alot you can break into the scene. At Doylestown Rock Gym there's more bouldering, routes and problems change often and the people are super friendly. I'd prefer to climb there most of the time with occasional trips to Go Vertical. That's my 2 cents.

straylight

May 25, 2007, 7:07 PM
    Post #3 of 15 (12566 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [bredto] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Depending on when you go and who you encounter, other climbers at Go Vertical can be somewhat unfriendly. That said, most of the people I've met are pretty cool and usually willing to offer advice if and when you get stuck on a bouldering problem.

If all else fails, ask Kathleen (the manager) to introduce you to someone; she knows pretty much everyone who climbs regularly by name. In a worst case scenario, she'll probably partner up with you assuming the place isn't too busy.

bs1134

May 25, 2007, 7:29 PM
    Post #4 of 15 (12553 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

Great place for a rainy day road trip. I drive down from N. Jersey in the winter to get practice in on long routes. Just a reminder if you are making a random trip to Go Vertical you need to bring your own belay device along with 2 extra lockers for the climber.

I personally hate the no tie in, use 2 lockers for the climber on TRs but what are you going to do?

brandoschmando

Jan 18, 2008, 9:38 PM
    Post #5 of 15 (12346 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [bredto] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

i boulder at GV 3-4 times a week and i love it there. i try to be friendly to all the new people i see, especially if someone asks me a question about something. i think the reason why GV regulars may come off as unfriendly sometimes is because we go there to do our routine, and oftentimes the gym is overcrowded with newbies hogging up all the space. it can be a little annoying. plus, we see a lot of people come and go. so why waste valuable climbing time being friendly with people you might never see again?

that said, newbies have a right to climb too. basically, if you're devoted to the sport and keep at it, the regulars will see that, and they'll all warm up to you in no time.

jacobs2011

Aug 2, 2008, 1:00 AM
    Post #6 of 15 (12043 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

I was in Go Vertical the other day and I found some of the staff to be very hostile. I am used to the gym back home, where the staff is excited to see you every time you walk through the door including the very first time. If the staff could be more friendly there is the potential for a very good atmosphere. I am only in Philly for two weeks and I had planned to spend a lot of time at this gym, but I don't think I will be going back any time in the near future.

Valarc

Aug 2, 2008, 1:50 AM
    Post #7 of 15 (12031 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [jacobs2011] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

If you get over the bridge to New Jersey, take a visit to Vertical Reality. They just changed ownership in the last few weeks - the new owner is super motivated, setting quality problems, and an overall cool guy.

VR isn't as big or fancy as Go Vertical, the walls are plywood and not all that tall, but the bouldering is excellent and the guys who climb there are awesome. The management kicks ass and will make you feel right at home.

http://www.vrrockgym.com/

I make it a point to visit VR every time I'm visiting the northeast.

jacobs2011

Aug 3, 2008, 9:01 PM
    Post #8 of 15 (11981 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Thanks for the tip. I will have to find a way to get over there.

lillyflower261

Aug 3, 2008, 9:26 PM
    Post #9 of 15 (11975 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

hey i climb at doylestown rock gym and i also try to get out as often as possiable... are you interested in getting the outdoor taste of philly? trust me its nothing like the gunks but its something... and if havent checked out the doylestown rock gym you really should. and garden state rocks is another super friendly laid back place but its a little of hike from philly

dylan1

Aug 4, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Post #10 of 15 (11945 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [lillyflower261] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

There is also a yahoo climbing group in the Phila. area. Many members of the group climb at go vertical, plus there are people from the group who climb outdoors frequently. The group can be found at: govertical@yahoogroups.com

The group is not run or owned by the gym, just share the name..It is a good way to meet people.

Valarc

Aug 8, 2008, 2:03 AM
    Post #11 of 15 (11755 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

In addition to the new ownership, Vertical Reality is changing names - they will now be known as Elite Climbing.

http://www.eliteclimbing.com/

MrDailaOjeda

Aug 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Post #12 of 15 (11586 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

i had the same exact experience when i first started there. we moved to philly and this kind of became our defacto gym to climb at. we were so worried that the employees were going to be assholes all the time and that we wouldn't like it there -- but, we've been members there now for three months, know a couple people by name, and have started to really grow rather fond...err, somewhat fond of the employees.

howard can be quite neurotic when you're signing up and trying to get started there -- we were baffled by how flustered, annoyed and nervous he seemed when we were basically just walking in to hand him $1200 for two memberships....definately left a weird taste in our mouths...but now, even he is nice and cool to us. guess you just have to get to know them...

mheyman

Aug 23, 2008, 12:50 AM
    Post #13 of 15 (11572 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

jacobs2011 wrote:
    I was in Go Vertical the other day and I found some of the staff to be very hostile...I am only in Philly for two weeks

This is to late to help you jacobs2011 but I have never found the staff to be as unfreindly as you describe.

Whatever the staff is like on a given day IMHO the gym is by far the best gym in the area and we are lucky it survived it's early days before before so many people figured that out!

Although I'd be just as happy if it were a bit less crowded on busy nights, having so many people has meant that no-one should lack a partner. I mean that. You rarely need to have a partner in advance. Just be outgoing and friendly.

If you see me say hello!

To the OP: Not that it matters but I don't think any climbs are even over 50ft high though many are longer.

blanchard.ce

Jun 11, 2013, 5:31 PM
    Post #14 of 15 (7988 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Is anyone still watching this post? I have a few questions ...

funk

Jun 14, 2013, 1:44 PM
    Post #15 of 15 (7891 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [blanchard.ce] Gym Review: Go Vertical! Philadelphia [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

three words:

PRG East Falls

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
    Password: Remember me:

Go Register
    Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook