Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Adk

Aug 4, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you've been to Moss Island and are dissatisfied with the current condition of the grass/field there please let me know.
If you were climbing with a number of climbers there please let me know the numbers climbing with you as well.
The fee that we are supposed to pay should at least keep the place mowed and put a port-a-pot there as well. Agree?

If you have any other ideas that you would like me to share with the City please let me know here. The climbing fee is not going away so please spare everyone with your feelings about it.
We want to make this place better and with your help it might actually get there.
I want to print this post as proof of the interest in the place.

Ideas for starters;

1. Port-a-Potty
2. Lawn mowed

Thanks

Dave

(This post was edited by Adk on Aug 6, 2008, 12:15 AM)

gunkiemike

Aug 5, 2008, 2:22 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is about DRUGS! (grass and pot) Shocked

Adk

Aug 7, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As of today there have been 45 looky-lou's and no meaningful comments.
Hmmmm. Must be there could be nothing better done to accommodate the climbers here at the island??

coolcatpet4e

Aug 8, 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a port o potty would be amazing.

-pete

c4c

Aug 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcatpet4e] Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There used to be a porta there. Seems like they should be able to mow too. What are the fees used for?

Adk

Sep 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TTT

More ideas Moss Island goers!!!!

And yes...the grass now needs a brush hog!!!Pirate

As for the fees to climb; Rumor has it the city tosses the $$ up to the City Golf Course. I'll find out here pretty soon.

How about a water spigot?
An area set aside for pass holders only to camp at?
If you folks don't ask you will NEVER get a thing and the City will think you are ok with the 18" high field at the base of the cliff. Going number 2 way back on the island behind every tree, etc

freedan

Sep 19, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As of last week, the grass has been cut at Moss. Never really bothered me though. Keep it a little user unfriendly to keep the huge groups away that like to move in and take over on the weekend. Strange though that two weekends ago the iffy weather kept us close to home and my wife and I climbed there Saturday and Sunday and were the only climbers thereSmile

My wife and I are there frequently weeknights living only 30 minutes away. I've often wondered about the "official" policy of developing other climbs on the islands. Some good stuff down by the river near the bouldering.

My suggestions would be: Make getting the permits easier (ie online) or just eliminate them all together. It is public property. (More than a few times we have gone to the clerks office and police station to find nobody (off hours) and any time we have talked to an officer in the parking lot he says just go climb and have fun.) No dogs and limiting the size of the college groups (or other guided groups) that flock to Moss. How about some floodlighting on the walls for night climbing? Most signs say the island closes at 9, one sign says 10. We are there often after dark especially this time of year. I would hang out there all night climbing on say a Friday night if the island didn't "close". Not that anyone really checks. About the time we are packing up is when the local kids show up with 12packs headed for the backside of the island.

Adk

Nov 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #8 of 10 (977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freedan] Reporting back to the City of Little Falls (Moss Island) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Freedan,
Amazing, I post here about the grass not being mowed and it gets mowed the next day.....simply amazing! The grass was mowed because the state was taking a tour. That is the only reason it was mowed.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Great points especially the evening floodlights!! ..the only night climbing in the state!!!! The cliffs should not close very similar to the Gunks evening bouldering.

Great suggesting and they will be passed on.

(This post was edited by Adk on Nov 25, 2008, 1:07 AM)

Adk

Nov 25, 2008, 1:12 AM
Post #9 of 10 (964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://mossislandproject.com/forum/index.php

Here is a bit of reading that might entertain a few of you.
Please feel free to join and contribute for this site will not be up for long. The site owner feels as if 2 months is long enough for get handle on thingsUnsure
maybe the minds of people are already made up?
Well, maybe it's all for show!!!Shocked
If any of you climbers want to be heard now is the time to step forward.

Thanks

Adk

Dec 10, 2008, 3:38 AM
Post #10 of 10 (906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a presentation going on at 4pm tomorrow.
At I believe its called the "black box theater" an old stone building (next to the parking lot) in canal place.

This was the most recent email that I have received from the group at ESF
Short notice...sweet!!!!

Dave

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook