Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Washing my rope in a front loading washer?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

karmiclimber

Aug 15, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Washing my rope in a front loading washer?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have one of those HE front load washers...i don't see why i shouldn't be able to wash my rope in there? Anyone with experience doing this? Got any tips or tricks? My ass is going to flamed for this I know it. Thanks.

carbonrx8

Aug 15, 2008, 8:12 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Washing my rope in a front loading washer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
I have one of those HE front load washers...i don't see why i shouldn't be able to wash my rope in there? Anyone with experience doing this? Got any tips or tricks? My ass is going to flamed for this I know it. Thanks.

Wow, I dont think this has ever been asked before!!!! NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF ALL THINGS FORUM HAS ANYONE THOUGHT TO ACKS THIS QUESTION!!!

I am not sure that you are even allowed to get climbing ropes wet.

rock_ranger

Aug 15, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I talked to someone the other week that got a front load washer and washed her ropes in it. She said you dont have to worry about the rope getting wrapped around an agitator like a normal machine.

zxcv

Aug 15, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just washed three ropes in our home front loader. The one rope I failed to daisy chain did get tangled all to hell, so don't skip that step. I ran mine through three rinse cycles before the water stopped soaping (used rope wash).
The ropes are not nearly as visibly clean as using a brush, but it is a decent lazy-person's alternative.

kobaz

Aug 15, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

What's with all these washing the rope threads lately. Are ropes really getting that grimey?

I wash my rope once a season with a PMI rope washer and a rope brush (with NO detergent/soap/etc). Even with the rope wash compounds, it still gives me that good feeling that no weird stuff is getting on the rope. With just just the PMI rope washer alone, the rope comes out squeeky clean.

And don't forget, let your rope dry in a cool and dry place, shaded from the sun, preferably hanging and not too bunched up. It will take about 3 days for it to fully dry.

Partner j_ung

Aug 15, 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Washing my rope in a front loading washer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
What's with all these washing the rope threads lately. Are ropes really getting that grimey?

That's a really good question. I've been climbing for (14 plus 8, carry the...) 22 years, and do you want to know how many ropes I've washed? A whopping one rope. It got covered in mud in a surprise storm and I hosed it down with cold water.

All this concern about washing ropes... It's not a Lamborghini. It's a rope. It's allowed to be a little dirty. I'll concede that some crags dirty a rope more than others, but proportionate to all the RC.com rope-washing threads? Doubtful.

harpo_the_climber

Aug 16, 2008, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a mess laundry bag for about $3 and flaked my rope into that, and then put the bag in the wash. Came out well.

Aceto

Aug 16, 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Washing my rope in a front loading washer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
kobaz wrote:

That's a really good question. I've been climbing for (14 plus 8, carry the...) 22 years, and do you want to know how many ropes I've washed? A whopping one rope. It got covered in mud in a surprise storm and I hosed it down with cold water.

All this concern about washing ropes... It's not a Lamborghini. It's a rope. It's allowed to be a little dirty. I'll concede that some crags dirty a rope more than others, but proportionate to all the RC.com rope-washing threads? Doubtful.

you do not understand when a rope need to be washed. numerous accidents havve been caused from poor rope equipment maintance.

anykineclimb

Aug 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Aceto] Washing my rope in a front loading washer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aceto wrote:
j_ung wrote:
kobaz wrote:

you do not understand when a rope need to be washed. numerous accidents havve been caused from poor rope equipment maintance.

Please cite references

Thank you

suilenroc

Aug 17, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

I do not know the answer to your question. I have a question myself... Can I wash my jeans covered in gasoline in my front load washer?

anykineclimb

Aug 17, 2008, 1:50 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Washing my rope in a front loading washer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

I do not know the answer to your question. I have a question myself... Can I wash my jeans covered in gasoline in my front load washer?

sure. just not with your rope at the same time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook