Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ChainingDrawsFTW

Aug 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #1 of 26 (2706 views)
Shortcut

Ugh...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, it's me again. So I bought a rope as I mentioned in my other thread about draws and went out with some mates yesterday. I was super excited about it, since it was my first time leading on a new rope but I have an issue now. I was climbing no problem, getting some routes done...took a few falls, no problem...but THEN!!! I took a bigger lead fall than I had prior in the day and it really screwed up my body. My back mainly is what's hurting. I had to stop climbing the rest of the day and it still hurts even today. The fall was maybe only 5 or 6 feet?

Anyways, is it normal for a leader fall to jar your body like this? After all I was reading in the other thread about not falling on my chained draws or whatever, I thought a rope would be much nicer feeling in a fall, at least that's what u guys were sayign???

I hate to say I'm feeling a little mislead here...but maybe I should have saved my (limited) money and stuck with the chained draw idea? Crazy

Lazlo

Aug 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #2 of 26 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChainingDrawsFTW] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unimpressed

rockforlife

Aug 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 26 (2688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChainingDrawsFTW wrote:
Hey guys, it's me again. So I bought a rope as I mentioned in my other thread about draws and went out with some mates yesterday. I was super excited about it, since it was my first time leading on a new rope but I have an issue now. I was climbing no problem, getting some routes done...took a few falls, no problem...but THEN!!! I took a bigger lead fall than I had prior in the day and it really screwed up my body. My back mainly is what's hurting. I had to stop climbing the rest of the day and it still hurts even today. The fall was maybe only 5 or 6 feet?

Anyways, is it normal for a leader fall to jar your body like this? After all I was reading in the other thread about not falling on my chained draws or whatever, I thought a rope would be much nicer feeling in a fall, at least that's what u guys were sayign???

I hate to say I'm feeling a little mislead here...but maybe I should have saved my (limited) money and stuck with the chained draw idea? Crazy

Was it static or dynamic rope that will make a HUGE diff

Lazlo

Aug 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you buy your rope at Walmart or Home Depot? I always buy my rope at Lowe's. Prices are great and they seem really strong!!!

ChainingDrawsFTW

Aug 16, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #5 of 26 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
Was it static or dynamic rope that will make a HUGE diff
Ummm, I don't know what that means exactly but I bought the rope from a guy I foudn on Craigslist for $30. It was the cheapest 50m rope I could find. It's an Edelweis. It's red if that helps?

pandora208

Aug 16, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #6 of 26 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a dynamic rope stretches at least a little, while a static rope is just that, static it doesnt stretch at all, theres no give to the rope when you fall on it

stymingersfink

Aug 16, 2008, 3:45 AM
Post #7 of 26 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuggingDickFTW] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ChainingDrawsFTW wrote:

Such is the way of the static rope lead fall.

stymingersfink

Aug 16, 2008, 3:48 AM
Post #8 of 26 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuggingDickFTW] YUM!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and keep up the good work. I'm actually beginning to look forward to your next post!

Tongue

tradrenn

Aug 16, 2008, 3:48 AM
Post #9 of 26 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pandora208] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pandora208 wrote:
a dynamic rope stretches at least a little, while a static rope is just that, static it doesnt stretch at all, theres no give to the rope when you fall on it

Please read up more about ropes, for your own good.

and just so you know OP is a Troll.
(just look up his other thread and his user name)

Pandora: Dynamic ropes stretch up to 30% in a leader fall, it is referred to as dynamic elongation, there is also a static one, please do a search.

crimpandgo

Aug 16, 2008, 4:09 AM
Post #10 of 26 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChainingDrawsFTW wrote:

I call TROLL.
You must be bored???Blush

taydude

Aug 16, 2008, 5:21 AM
Post #11 of 26 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA sorta funny that people are biting on this...

Who buys a rope used? Are there really people like that out there?

Lazlo

Aug 16, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #12 of 26 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
HAHA sorta funny that people are biting on this...

Who buys a rope used? Are there really people like that out there?

I took a fixed line from an alpine route. It's still pretty strong. Only a little bit of the core is showing in only a few places. I was planning on selling it later this week on Craigslist...should I reconsider?

ChainingDrawsFTW

Aug 16, 2008, 6:09 AM
Post #13 of 26 (2519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guys why are you not taking me seriously? I'm looking for some help here. I'm in constant pain. CONSTAINT!

irregularpanda

Aug 16, 2008, 6:33 AM
Post #14 of 26 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would our constaint attention make your back hurt less?

No.

Shut up and ride that pony. Your pony being the death trap of a rope you just bought.

jmvc

Aug 16, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #15 of 26 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should take an even bigger lead fall. That generally sorts it out.

Aceto

Aug 16, 2008, 3:39 PM
Post #16 of 26 (2457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo sup dude sometimes i just take some vicodin if im in bad back pain. if your rope soloing uc an get just use the method u used before with the draws. why bother with a rope and grigri

Valarc

Aug 16, 2008, 3:44 PM
Post #17 of 26 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This idiotic troll has no business being in the beginner forums - I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to follow anything they read in this thread, but if there's one thing I've learned while teaching it is to NEVER underestimate peoples' stupidity.

Mods, how about a move to scummunity so people can entertain themselves with the poor troll, and the beginners can be spared this bullshit?

carbonrx8

Aug 16, 2008, 5:50 PM
Post #18 of 26 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChainingDrawsFTW wrote:
Guys why are you not taking me seriously? I'm looking for some help here. I'm in constant pain. CONSTAINT!

This is such a painfully obvious troll. I would have conceded that your baiting someone into asking whether you bought a static or dynamic rope was quite good except a thread on this topic graced these pages not three days ago. While your manipulation skills are quite high, you lose mucho points for the lack of innovation. I am sure that while you were writing your posts you were grinning inwardly at your false perception of your cleverness. Unfortunately, no one else has such a high opinion. That just makes you a sad, pitiful failure that cant even do what they set out to do on the intrawebs, a place unusually receptive due to the high number of naive and gullible readers.

And if you actually did what you describe, I have no more sympathy. That is what natural selection is all about. Some times, a persons destiny is simply to set an example as to how big a fuckup some one can be. You have reached your destiny. Now die.

(This post was edited by carbonrx8 on Aug 16, 2008, 5:51 PM)

sungam

Aug 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #19 of 26 (2370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carbonrx8] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carbonrx8 wrote:
ChainingDrawsFTW wrote:

This is such a painfully obvious troll. I would have conceded that your baiting someone into asking whether you bought a static or dynamic rope was quite good except a thread on this topic graced these pages not three days ago. While your manipulation skills are quite high, you lose mucho points for the lack of innovation. I am sure that while you were writing your posts you were grinning inwardly at your false perception of your cleverness. Unfortunately, no one else has such a high opinion. That just makes you a sad, pitiful failure that cant even do what they set out to do on the intrawebs, a place unusually receptive due to the high number of naive and gullible readers.

And if you actually did what you describe, I have no more sympathy. That is what natural selection is all about. Some times, a persons destiny is simply to set an example as to how big a fuckup some one can be. You have reached your destiny. Now stop bugging us.
[no banzings wanted!]
Also- a good troll never returns to the thread.
You lose more marks.

axelvanettinger

Aug 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #20 of 26 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez dude why dont u just jump from a building if u are this bored... Such a bad troll

pandora208

Aug 17, 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #21 of 26 (2299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn,
thanks for the advice as you can tell im kinda new to RC.com and still naive enough to want to be helpful to others...but i will learn. for instance i know to avoid majid at all costs haha thanks again

Aceto

Aug 19, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #22 of 26 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pandora208] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is ridiculous majid sabet is more insightful than lets say, Jay, or JT49499592832 aka Spell Nazi.

keep your ears perked up, PM with any question

stymingersfink

Aug 19, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #23 of 26 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Aceto] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aceto wrote:
this is ridiculous majid sabet is more insightful than lets say, Jay, or JT49499592832 aka Spell Nazi.

for those of you too new to the site to tell...

Aceto=MajorSorbet

*plonk*

sungam

Aug 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #24 of 26 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Ugh... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
Aceto wrote:

for those of you too new to the site to tell...

Aceto=MajorSorbet

*plonk*
Almost rite, but still rong.

patmay81

Aug 19, 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #25 of 26 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ummm, I don't know what that means exactly but I bought the rope from a guy I foudn on Craigslist for $30. It was the cheapest 50m rope I could find. It's an Edelweis. It's red if that helps?
there in lies your problem. everyone knows that red ropes are lower quality. they are typically not as durable, and unless i am mistaken they are design for anchor construction only. I only lead on green, white or blue ropes; or any combination of those colors.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook