Forums: International: Euro Freaks:
England... best place to live for climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Sep 15, 2008, 5:48 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3696 views)
Shortcut

England... best place to live for climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so I probably won't be able to live in the BEST place, but here's the story. My girlfriend is a British Citizen and is living in London, working and saving for school. I'll be living with her off and on until we get married and we both like to climb.

She is working, saving up money for school. I don't know where all the nursing schools are but what are some cities that I should tell her to look for schools in? Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool...
I don't care for cities at all but she needs to be in one for school.

Thanks

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Sep 15, 2008, 5:51 AM)

sungam

Sep 15, 2008, 8:45 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] England... best place to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Ok, so I probably won't be able to live in the BEST place, but here's the story. My girlfriend is a British Citizen and is living in London, working and saving for school. I'll be living with her off and on until we get married and we both like to climb.

She is working, saving up money for school. I don't know where all the nursing schools are but what are some cities that I should tell her to look for schools in? Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool...

Thanks
Sheffield, nescliffe, scotland (anywhere :P), northumbria, and noth or south whales.

serpico

Sep 15, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a big nursing school in Nottingham which is very convenient for the Peak District (Grit and Lime). Other than that Leeds is a good option for the many crags in Yorkshire, and Manchester, while not having much climbing on it's doorstep, has Yorkshire, The Peak, South Lakes, and North Wales all within an hour or so drive.
Avoid Liverpool and London.

gritstoner

Sep 16, 2008, 1:29 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [serpico] England... best place to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sheffield or leeds (of course being a yorkshireman i am going to shout for them though) have grit and lime easily at hand.
another option is lancaster. the lake district is very close by and it has some of the best multipitch stuff in britain.
manchester is close to the peak and makes north wales easy to get to.

having lived in sheffield for about 10 years now, i can recomend it. its a great city with good pubs and stanage is 15 minutes awaySmile

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gritstoner] England... best place to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "gritstoner" the lake district is very close by and it has some of the best multipitch stuff in britain.*COUGH COUGH* *COUGH*

gritstoner

Sep 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] England... best place to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scotland is too cold and wet, although i will grant you the etive slabs are fantastic. just a bit too far from the pub though for me.

sungam

Sep 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gritstoner wrote:
scotland is too cold and wet, although i will grant you the etive slabs are fantastic. just a bit too far from the pub though for me.
Scotland is indeed cold and wet Frown
There is plenty of good rock about, though.
I'm thinkin' the Gorms, Lochaber, Torridon, Skye, Mull, Hebrides (some say the best cragging in the world), Caithiness- fuck, everywhere!
Wooo!

limeydave

Sep 18, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gritstoner wrote:
sheffield or leeds (of course being a yorkshireman i am going to shout for them though) have grit and lime easily at hand.
another option is lancaster. the lake district is very close by and it has some of the best multipitch stuff in britain.

having lived in sheffield for about 10 years now, i can recomend it. its a great city with good pubs and stanage is 15 minutes awaySmile

A vote for Leeds here - there's plenty of opportunity for a student nurse there, and you are 30minutes from Yorkshire Grit and still <1hr from Peak areas near Sheffield like Stanage.

I spent 3 glorious years in Leeds climbing, hanging out in t'pub, chasing girls and even attending the occasion class.....ahhhh.....good times.

*sheds a tear*

sungam

Sep 18, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] England... best place to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

limeydave wrote:
gritstoner wrote:

A vote for Leeds here - there's plenty of opportunity for a student nurse there, and you are 30minutes from Yorkshire Grit and still <1hr from Peak areas near Sheffield like Stanage.

I spent 3 glorious years in Leeds climbing, hanging out in t'pub, chasing girls and even attending the occasion class.....ahhhh.....good times.

*sheds a tear*
It's okay, dude, it's okay.

ukclimber007

Oct 26, 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

Thanks

I live in a town called Huddersfield, it's right between Manchester and Leeds and is probably best placed for both yorkshire and the peak.

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook