Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

brownie710

Sep 16, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #26 of 54 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iridesantacruz] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my thoughts
The most important is reading the needed length of the slings, you want to do everything to keep your rope as straight as possible. on some routes that will mean 2-3 double length slings

cams and nuts are fairly easy to figure out

seatbeltpants

Sep 16, 2008, 9:01 PM
Post #27 of 54 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
A few select pieces have small surface scratches from practicing gear placement... between the fridge and the kitchen counter.

hey, i was doing this just last night. my wife was far less amused than i was, particularly when she noticed the dings i was putting in the side of the fridge...

steve

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #28 of 54 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wormly81 wrote:
I'd make the recommendation that when you call someone you dont know a moron that you should respond to what they wrote instead of sharing the meaningless drivel that immediately comes to mind.
I took your recommendation, before you even said it. Does that mean I'm psychic?
I read your post, it was not meaningless drivel- it was just moronic.
Seriously, learn to clean gear- unless you want to be another donater to blueeyedclimber's gear fund.
Learn to clean gear by placing the gear while chilling at the bottom of the crag, maybe while you're friends are climbing, maybe while the leader is faffinf, maybe when your buddy is taking a shit in the woods.
Practice placing gear, and cleaning it. Learn to look for the slot/ramp/imperfections that nuts slide into to reach their seated place. learn how to track them back along that path so they come out easily.
The last thing you want to do is deface the route by leaving gear behind or having to break rock by wildly hitting the nut with your key to get it out.
And, once your buddy lead a route (that you cleaned- hey, wow! amazing! learn by doing!) you lead a route.

If at this point anyone is thinking "You lost a lead, your buddy got one" then you're a jackass.

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 9:57 PM
Post #29 of 54 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
OH SNAP!
Mad you're just mad cuz I showed everyone the ghey movie you got yer name from!!!!11one

sungam

Sep 16, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #30 of 54 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
dingus wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
This is a good thing as it's hard to bust moves when you're half drunk and towing a 12 pack of PBR up the route.

No I assure you - its quite easy!

DMT

Damn. I need to get your beer beta then.

(psst! here's the secret, bro...)

2nd CARRIES THE BEER! (this ain't no Eiger Sanction)

DMT

Best. Movie. Ever.
Hellz yeah!
You limping, john...

evanwish

Sep 17, 2008, 2:07 AM
Post #31 of 54 (1925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
wormly81 wrote:
sungam wrote:
wormly81 wrote:
evanwish wrote:
krosbakken wrote:
Factor2 wrote:
evanwish wrote:
jeremy11 wrote:
DON'T LEARN HOW TO CLEAN GEAR

why's that?

ye, why's that?

Ya ya, why's that? cuz most people do learn. like myself who seconded before I started leading.

cleaning gives you the chance to evaluate gear placements and how long they slung them...

Cleaning a bunch of gear is nice but it also means your passing up leads. I might be a touch dramatic but its a definite fact. I cleaned alot of gear and spent alot of time passing up leads that could have been mine.
You, sir, are also a moron.
"the leads could have been yours". Lame.
Ever heard of alt leads? yeah, you know, the most efficient way to climb hard multipitch routes? you second half the pitches, and if you can't clean gear well then maybe the top pitches are going to feel a little more runout then usual...

I hope your little excercise in internet posturing has made you feel better; you are a role model to internet punters around the world. The entire community can thank you for your amazing lesson on swapping leads... BRAVO!

I'd make the recommendation that when you call someone you dont know a moron that you should respond to what they wrote instead of sharing the meaningless drivel that immediately comes to mind.

OH SNAP!

when i started i was trained on primary gear placements, and then set off to lead a thirty foot .9 vertical crack...

I probably didn't even follow/second a route untill around my tenth lead. BUT this wasn't without doing dozens of "mock leads" on TR.

I think that's the best way to learn

Partner wormly81

Sep 17, 2008, 2:24 PM
Post #32 of 54 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
wormly81 wrote:
I took your recommendation, before you even said it. Does that mean I'm psychic?
Seriously, learn to clean gear- unless you want to be another donater to blueeyedclimber's gear fund.
Learn to clean gear by placing the gear while chilling at the bottom of the crag, maybe while you're friends are climbing, maybe while the leader is faffinf, maybe when your buddy is taking a shit in the woods.
Practice placing gear, and cleaning it. Learn to look for the slot/ramp/imperfections that nuts slide into to reach their seated place. learn how to track them back along that path so they come out easily.
The last thing you want to do is deface the route by leaving gear behind or having to break rock by wildly hitting the nut with your key to get it out.
And, once your buddy lead a route (that you cleaned- hey, wow! amazing! learn by doing!) you lead a route.

If at this point anyone is thinking "You lost a lead, your buddy got one" then you're a jackass.

Your continued misunderstanding of my original post is unfortunate at best.

Thank you for yet another fantastic lesson from the Sungam school of lead climbing for internet fucktards. Lets see if I can summarize. Your saying that you dont need to leave your rack on a route after you climb it? FUCKING PROFOUND!!! Holy shit, imagine all the clueless bastards you have helped with this gem!

But thats not all, you have also touched on another "oh so important" lesson. The situation whereby a climber must "break rock by wildly hitting the nut with your key to get it out" is affecting our community more than ever these days. What surprises me is that they didn't think it was important enough to devote a whole chapter of Freedom of the Hills to this serious topic.

Anything else you wanted to add to this conversation? I think you need one more tangential reply to cement your status as a hero to 14 year old gym climbers everywhere...

sungam

Sep 17, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #33 of 54 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wormly81 wrote:
sungam wrote:
wormly81 wrote:

Your continued misunderstanding of my original post is unfortunate at best.

Thank you for yet another fantastic lesson from the Sungam school of lead climbing for internet fucktards. Lets see if I can summarize. Your saying that you dont need to leave your rack on a route after you climb it? FUCKING PROFOUND!!! Holy shit, imagine all the clueless bastards you have helped with this gem!

But thats not all, you have also touched on another "oh so important" lesson. The situation whereby a climber must "break rock by wildly hitting the nut with your key to get it out" is affecting our community more than ever these days. What surprises me is that they didn't think it was important enough to devote a whole chapter of Freedom of the Hills to this serious topic.

Anything else you wanted to add to this conversation? I think you need one more tangential reply to cement your status as a hero to 14 year old gym climbers everywhere...
You're just being mean, seriously. I'll refrain from saying what I really think cuz I already had one banz this month.
I have removed plenty of gear that others left for dead or fixed, sometimes the same day the left it, and often with just a few wiggles.
The reason that Freedom of the Hills didn't make a whole chapter on the subject is probably because they didn't think anyone was moronic enough to climb a long multipitch route without learning or to efficiently clean gear.
I'm guessing they also assumed no one was moronic to tell anyone else to go climb long multipitch routes without knowing how to efficiently clean gear, either.
I guess you proved them wrong on one point, don't help someone else prove the prior.

hafilax

Sep 17, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #34 of 54 (1856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh look. Another potentially useful thread taken over by an argument over semantics complete with quote war. Crazy

knieveltech

Sep 17, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #35 of 54 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Oh look. Another potentially useful thread taken over by an argument over semantics complete with quote war. Crazy

Yeah, and nary a mention of gear whoring in all of it. Unsure

carbonrx8

Sep 17, 2008, 8:11 PM
Post #36 of 54 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I could interject between accusations of "you are a moron!" …

Our trad leading (wifey and I) started completely without mentoring (except the obligatory classes and guiding that we received). The NUMBER ONE concept that I think helped was an understanding of just how much pain a thirty foot header into the talus would inflict. This really helped to ensure that we did not fuck up terminally. Even if this meant backing off. (This is not to say that I did not make mistakes, just not irreversible ones.)

Now, combine that understanding with an awareness that your ego is going to take a beating with all the hoots and laughter that your n00b mistakes and slowness will elicit from the peanut gallery below, not to mention the derogatory remarks that will accompany you as you back off a climb you think is too dangerous for you. Then mix that with a heavy dose of persistence to ensure that you get back on the rock after your most recent failure, add in many more years than what I have been climbing, and you have a recipe for a very alive, albeit mediocre, trad climber.

iridesantacruz

Sep 17, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #37 of 54 (1810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously, i posted it on a thread for a difference of opinion... quit your bickering.

petsfed

Sep 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #38 of 54 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Hey, I would've responded sooner, but my hands rack was on the computer chair, and I didn't want to move it until I'd finished making my sandwich.

sungam

Sep 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #39 of 54 (1779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Hey, I would've responded sooner, but my hands rack was on the computer chair, and I didn't want to move it until I'd finished making my sandwich.
I have no idea what that means but it sounds BAD-ASS.

hafilax

Sep 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #40 of 54 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kneiveltech touched on it on the first page.

knieveltech wrote:
[snip]
===Gear Whoring===

Simply stated this is the art and science of amassing as much climbing gear as possible, regardless of usefulness or condition. This simply cannot be overstated: gear whoring is the heart and soul of trad climbing. Phases of gear whoredom are as follows:

[snip]

zeke_sf

Sep 17, 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #41 of 54 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
hafilax wrote:

I assume he meant he has a rack of just hand sized pieces, thus implying the rest of his rack must be simply ginormous.

sungam

Sep 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #42 of 54 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
hafilax wrote:

I assume he meant he has a rack of just hand sized pieces, thus implying the rest of his rack must be simply ginormous.
Yep, I was right.
BAD-ASS.

petsfed

Sep 18, 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #43 of 54 (1753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically, its a wide-hands rack, and its a son-of-a-bitch. I hate that size, but I've got seven #3 camalots! Seven!

flipnfall

Sep 18, 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #44 of 54 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanwish] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

evanwish wrote:
jeremy11 wrote:
DON'T LEARN HOW TO CLEAN GEAR

why's that?

I keep my "gear" clean, but it's not what you're thinking.

GT

knieveltech

Sep 18, 2008, 3:00 AM
Post #45 of 54 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Technically, its a wide-hands rack, and its a son-of-a-bitch. I hate that size, but I've got seven #3 camalots! Seven!

Add just one of your choice of either a Cassin Blitz OR that really fucked up CCH wide pro modular widget thing from back in the day and you'll probably graduate to Master. I'd ask if I could have your rack when you die but I can't afford renting a small cargo flight to get it home. Maybe shipping by rail....

Edited to add:

BTW, other than obvious gear whore street cred, what possible motivation could you have for amassing seven cams to protect a size that as far as I know nobody actually likes climbing? Planning on going to Indian Creek and performing some kind of multi-pitch sick wide hands penance-fest?

(This post was edited by knieveltech on Sep 18, 2008, 3:02 AM)

petsfed

Sep 18, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #46 of 54 (1705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
BTW, other than obvious gear whore street cred, what possible motivation could you have for amassing seven cams to protect a size that as far as I know nobody actually likes climbing? Planning on going to Indian Creek and performing some kind of multi-pitch sick wide hands penance-fest?

Its almost enough to protect Supercrack or Think Pink?

I knew I needed more cams, and nobody had any 2.5 or 3 friends.

hafilax

Sep 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #47 of 54 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Protect or aid? Wink

tradrenn

Sep 20, 2008, 2:58 AM
Post #48 of 54 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

First of all.

Gear Whore.(Fuck I only have 4)

Second of all.

How small (girly) are your hands ?

tradrenn

Sep 20, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #49 of 54 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iridesantacruz wrote:
Which do you consider to be the most important concepts a climber needs to know before trad leading? In addition what do you think are the most commonly overlooked conepts of trad leading, whether they be small or big.

Remembering when I started playing with gear I think you should look the most into belaying skills, rope characteristics and antizipper.

The above would be 3 things that I didn't know enough about when I started.

Do your mileage on easier routes and learn your ropes, read all the books related to trad climbing.

I also think this should be useful:
(IMHO Rgold's post you should print and hang it above your computer and read it every time before you go climb)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...?post=593112;#593112

rgold wrote:
The most important principle for using trad protection, especiallly but not exclusively if you are just learning, is redundancy. The idea is to develop a system you trust while maintaining a healthy scepticism about the reliability of any one piece. Try not to put yourself in the position of having a single piece, no matter how "bombproof," between you and disaster.

Placing more than gear than seems to be essential requires discipline and endurance, marks of a good trad climber. Failing safely is a better longevity option than betting the farm on a single piece.

Nonetheless, all climbing to some extent, but trad climbing intrinsically, involves risk. A lot of climbs have places you better not fall from, and this is part of the essence of trad climbing---performing in a cool and controlled manner when confronting a risky situation. Neutralizing danger, not just by protection skills, but also by climbing skills, is part of the game. (Unaulterated difficulty unencumbered by concerns of mortality is the province of sport climbing.)

Arguments about whether or not falling is a good idea always have these provisions: "if the gear is bomber, go for it," which is fair enough, but such pronouncements avoid the real problem by defining it out of existence. Many accidents happen when the bomber gear turns out not to be bomber. The climber (1) misjudged the pro (something that is quite possible for experts, let alone beginners), (2) failed to build sufficient redundancy into the system, and then (3) misjudged their ability and went for it in a situation when they were not well protected.

As for judging pro, I concur with the posters who recommend aid climbing. Redundancy is a state of mind combined with the will to carry it out. The most difficult issue is how to climb without falling when falling is a bad idea. (For example, if there is one piece between you and the ground and you can't back it up, then falling is a bad idea.) Here I think modern trends can inculcate bad habits. Gym climbing, sport climbing, and bouldering all emphasize moving up in the most marginal of situations. There is a risk of developing a tunnel-vision mentality that, first of all, accepts marginal moves even though the consequences of failure are catastrophic, perhaps not even noticing that the climber has gone from control to high risk status, and secondly, that blinds the climber to both the need and the opportunity to climb down to rest, regroup, and yes, in some cases, to retreat. Mental discipline is the primary tool for avoiding these situations, but this discipline is not something acquired in the gym or on sport climbs.

Here are some exercises that may be of some use:

(1) When climbing in the gym or on sport routes, try to be conscious of how marginal you are. (This does not mean reducing the difficulty level, just striving for heightened awareness.) From a trad perspective, falling may be ok, but an unexpected fall is not good. Know when you are on the edge.

(2) A lot of falls on steep ground happen when the leader runs out of gas. Try to develop a sense of your "half-way point," because this is one of the moments when you have to decide whether to move up or down. For example, a gym exercise is to select a challenging route and then see how high on it you can get and still climb all the way back down without falling.

(3) Develop the mental habit of filing away "retreat data." This can make the difference between stepping down and falling. (For example, when you step over a small roof, the holds underneath disappear. Did you make a mental note of features above the roof that will help you locate the holds underneath?)

(4) Don't neglect the building of a base of climbing below your limit, climbing in which you are relatively comfortable but are also frequently in the "must not fall" zone. A steady diet of well-protected hard climbing at or near your limit, while essential for raising your climbing level, may shortchange you on control and calmness when things get dicey, as they will, sooner or later...

Take it to your heart, you will live longer.
(Rgold I hope you don't mind me re-quoting you again)

HTH & SWHA.

petsfed

Sep 20, 2008, 4:35 AM
Post #50 of 54 (1596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Concepts for starting trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
petsfed wrote:

First of all.

Gear Whore.(Fuck I only have 4)

Second of all.

How small (girly) are your hands ?

Like most of the male population, yellow camalots are primo thumbs up jams for me. If I'm placing a #3 camalot, I have to either use exclusively thumbs down jams or have really insecure thumbs up jams. When I say wide hands, I mean "large enough that thumbs up jams are insecure".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook