Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

babicka07

Sep 24, 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #1 of 67 (4129 views)
Shortcut

Maximum Altitude
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
i was wondering what the altitude generally is before the climb can become dangerous.
In other words,
which altitude does one generally begin to get sick at etc.

this is my first post xD

krosbakken

Sep 24, 2008, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 67 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [babicka07] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it all depends on the person, for someone getting sick. Because some people can climb Everest with no Os and some people can't. And at any altitude a climb can become dangerous but yes Id say that the higher you go after a certain point it becomes more dangerous.

babicka07

Sep 24, 2008, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 67 (4090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there anything one might have had in the past that could determine whether they will be effected by high altitude more so then someone else?

thanks for quick reply btw xD

Partner epoch

Sep 24, 2008, 2:27 AM
Post #4 of 67 (4072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Altitude related illnesses are subjective to the person. Altitude related illnesses have been documented with people as low as 6500 feet. Any elevation above 8000 feet though is where the majority of problems start.

Altitude affects people differently from situation to situation. I have experienced AMS as low as 9500 feet and have climbed to peaks above 14,000 feet with no problems.

The best advice that you can follow is to create and maintain an acclimatization schedule.

thatguyat99

Sep 24, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #5 of 67 (4065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a pre existing condition like copd(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) would most likely be agitated at altitude...but i haven't read or heard of any cardiac conditions that are...of course it would be best to consult a doctor for all of that.

krosbakken

Sep 24, 2008, 3:47 AM
Post #6 of 67 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

babicka07 wrote:
Is there anything one might have had in the past that could determine whether they will be effected by high altitude more so then someone else?

thanks for quick reply btw xD

Oh I don't know, sorry Im no expert. Maybe someone else will answer this that knows what they are talking about.

skiclimb

Sep 24, 2008, 4:13 AM
Post #7 of 67 (4010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

-1367ft if you fall on your head in the dead sea basin

greenketch

Sep 24, 2008, 4:18 AM
Post #8 of 67 (4007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AS previously mentioned the altitude that individuals are affected varies. Also for the same person the altitude can vary. In general anyone that is in good health will do fine (COPD or other hypoxic drive persons will strugle).
The only condition that is otherwise indicitive is your general cardio fitness. Your bodies adaptation is largley a cardio event. Also the the initial change is a quicker heart rate. If you don't have a reasonable cardio capacity the acclimitization will be harder.

As previously stated typically 6500 feet is the low end. Most pepes are fine to 8000ish. Some make it to 12 - 14000 no problem. Also your activity level affects stuff. Airplanes only pressurize to a bit over 5000 feet and you never even notice since your just sittin there anyway.

babicka07

Sep 24, 2008, 5:06 AM
Post #9 of 67 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ahh ok,
thank you for such a detailed answer everyone.
Was also wondering if females have different reactions to height to males? or is this basically the same?

As you can see i have no climbing experience, but am curious because my girlfriend (17) is climbing MT. Kinabalu in Borneo (4,095m) and was wondering what the chances of someone her age getting sick at such a height would be.
Is there generally a rule which says women get sicker at a different altitude then males?

Thanks for the previous answers xD

greenketch

Sep 24, 2008, 6:00 AM
Post #10 of 67 (3968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now your asking the tricky stuffWink My
Experience is that generally woman do not try stuff like this unless they are more physically capable. (lower incedence rate) Guys usually go for it wether they are ready or not. On the other side an important issue with all of this is the level of hydration. Woman have a lower water content and tend to drink less as they do not feel like dropping trow in the wild thus tending towards minor dehydration(higher incedence).

The best answer is "it all depends" But make sure she gets over the issues and stays well hydrated and all should be good. On that note the air is drier up there and so what normally works for hydration at lower altitudes is not sufficient up higher especially if she tends to sweat it out.

majid_sabet

Sep 24, 2008, 6:00 AM
Post #11 of 67 (3967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

m&f adopt to alt differently. also I read somewhere that younger climber and very old have more problem and mid age.

if your GF never been that high then she needs to rest at 2800 meter then rest in 3500 and push to 4100 the next day. most people can climb to 4200 meter in a day. it is also good to take red aspirin to make the blood thinner.

I spend 20 days above 17000 feet and climbed over 20,000+ feet (6300 meter) and seen plenty of AMS problem so my suggestion to your GF is to hike slow and rest. Drink lots of water and more rest.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Sep 24, 2008, 6:01 AM)

babicka07

Sep 24, 2008, 6:08 AM
Post #12 of 67 (3959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok thankyou for the advice.
Since it is in Borneo, and the temperatures at the moment there are 33 during day and 29 at night.
Just how much water should one consume?

Wouldnt too much water slow you down, and therefore make the ascend much harder?

How do you guys know when you have had enough?
Are you meant to drink as much as you can at once, or every now and then??

Thank you =)

skiclimb

Sep 24, 2008, 6:21 AM
Post #13 of 67 (3954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Statistically women acclimatize slightly more poorly than men...middle aged person aclimatize better than young or olders...

None of this matters individually or even from trip to trip.

many climbers who have never suffered serious altitude illness get their first taste unexpectedly at altitudes they have never had trouble at before.

now for the really good news... serious altitude sickness such as pulmonary or cerebral edema (life threatening) are quite rare for anyone under 14'000 ft

AMS (headaches and nasea almost never life threatening) are not unusual in anyone rapidly climbing above 10K" and even lower sometimes. occasionally as low a 5k feet.

Water is important for several reason acclimatization included..basic rule is drink enough to keep your pee a light yellow color.. (not clear not dark yellow)

babicka07

Sep 24, 2008, 6:37 AM
Post #14 of 67 (3950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the drinking supposed to be done in periods, or all at once?? does drinking fluid amount increase or decrease the higher you get??

And is there special drinks which can be drunk at higher altitudes??

thank you

skiclimb

Sep 24, 2008, 7:21 AM
Post #15 of 67 (3938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

periods just stay generally hydrated. usually a couple quarts during the day as you are climbing is enough. then drinking at camp in mornings and evening too.

Nope nothing special is neccesary however a lot of people like power drinks for the electrolytes and sugar and flavor. beyond that there isn't any drink that specially helps acclimatization.

Partner epoch

Sep 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #16 of 67 (3878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
it is also good to take red aspirin to make the blood thinner.

In Soviet Russia you don't take the Red Asprin, the Red Asprin takes you.

dondada

Sep 24, 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #17 of 67 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

people dont get HACE and HAPE at yosemite altitude(5000/6000) but can definately be effected by AMS. From what i read a schedule of accent is the best way to get acclimitized(actual numbers will vary)......this should be easy to find info. Part of the reason women may take longer that men is due to there difference in normal hemoglobin/hematocrit. normal for a woman is slightly lower than normal in a man(im a nurse) but its all relitive. when i slept at 10,000ft every day in breck goin to 14,000 or so was no big deal. now i would die. Dexamethasone is a comman steroid used to treat HACE/HAPE, (along with hyperbaric therapy and quick decent) and is often brought on expiditions(just in case) but dont let your old lady get to that point. And yes drinking h20 is extreamly important(and needs to be encouraged by partners) air that high is very drying and lots of h20 is lost by convection/breathing.(anyone who has skied in a high alpine area can attest to the scratchy throat) Water also slows the onset of hypothermia ...climbing with a full belly is easier than trying to climb when hypothermic. Also pre-exsisting conditions can be exacerbated by altitude case in point my first day in chamonix a guy with us had a heart attack and needed to be airlifted out..climbing at altitude with COPD is stupid....with asthma is tricky but some dude climbed everest with out 02 that had asthma....your old lady needs to understand the potential dangers and read a book or 2 for real.

evanwish

Sep 24, 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #18 of 67 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like said above, it usually just depends on how well you are aclimated. I could go up to say 14,000' today and feel crappy, or first aclimate at say 9,000 and feel GREAT!

BUT i do know a woman who is in great shape, runs marathons, but everytime she reaches 13,000 feet she gets sick.

majid_sabet

Sep 24, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #19 of 67 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

babicka07 wrote:
ok thankyou for the advice.
Since it is in Borneo, and the temperatures at the moment there are 33 during day and 29 at night.
Just how much water should one consume?

Wouldnt too much water slow you down, and therefore make the ascend much harder?

How do you guys know when you have had enough?
Are you meant to drink as much as you can at once, or every now and then??

Thank you =)

Blood is basically pure water plus some other additives so more water means it can carry more O2. There are tons of research document on water and O2 and I am sure RC has plenty of medical experts but all I know in altitude, fat and water is your best friend. Fat burns slow and in higher alt, it works as slow burning stove to keep you warm at night.

Having a nice fat GF in your tent is plus and you are guaranteed a successful summit.

Can't wait till I return to Himalayas and do an 8000 meter peak.

reno

Sep 24, 2008, 3:45 PM
Post #20 of 67 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Blood is basically pure water plus some other additives so more water means it can carry more O2.

Not exactly. The water component of blood does not carry oxygen.

sungam

Sep 24, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #21 of 67 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Blood is basically pure water plus some other additives so more water means it can carry more O2.

I'm not going to put you through what my uni teacher put me through, but I'll just say the words "viscosity" and "flow rates" and leave it at that.
Smile

reno

Sep 24, 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #22 of 67 (3836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
reno wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I'm not going to put you through what my uni teacher put me through, but I'll just say the words "viscosity" and "flow rates" and leave it at that.
Smile

Fair enough. I tend to call it hematocrit rather than viscosity, but same thing.

sungam

Sep 24, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #23 of 67 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
sungam wrote:
reno wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Smile

Fair enough. I tend to call it hematocrit rather than viscosity, but same thing.
I typed some semi-witty chem eng comment about the heart, but really it didn't come out all that well.
Feel free to laugh anyways, at my poor subject choice if nothing else.

carbonrx8

Sep 24, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #24 of 67 (3805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Dear Magik Sorbutt,

That quote right there my friend, just proved, beyond doubt, that you are a complete, bullshit spraying, no-edjukation having, talk-out-your-ass fucktard.

My GOD I hope people dont acutally listen you when you talk.

bizarrodrinker

Sep 24, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #25 of 67 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carbonrx8] Maximum Altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it is good for a laugh tho

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook