RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

bairnns

Oct 10, 2008, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 5 (566 views)
Shortcut

Teenage partner in Thousand Oaks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a belay partner for my teenage daughter. She climbs at Boulderdash in Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village about once a week, but mostly she just boulders because the people there are already in groups. She's a beginner, I guess, but she has been through their belaying class already.

Looks like most of the people here are adults but maybe there's an adult climbing enthusiast who has kids?

My daughter is 15 but she's kinda shy so a younger teen would be fine, but so would an older teen or a young adult who is a beginner.

No weird stuff please- all contact goes through me and believe me, I'll be there to meet you and supervise. I don't mean to insult anyone but I'm a little nervous about doing this...

lobstertronic

Oct 10, 2008, 1:06 PM
Post #2 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bairnns] Teenage partner in Thousand Oaks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Errrrmmmm.

I'm heading off to make some popcorn.

Bairnns, you truly have a lot of faith in humanity. I think the list of potential belayers I wouldn't trust from this site would outweigh the ones I would trust with my teenage daughter by about 10:1!

What you need is someone with SAR rescue training, who is incredibly knowledgeable, experienced, respected by the climbing community, patient, a great communicator, and quite possible asexual.

Good luck.

julianw

Oct 10, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 5 (533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lobstertronic] Teenage partner in Thousand Oaks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow... so negative. i've met cool people and safe belayers on here so take that ^ guy's post with a grain of salt.

if you and your child start showing up regularly at the gym you'll eventually meet people you get along with and can climb with. don't worry too much.

bairnns

Oct 10, 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 5 (530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julianw] Teenage partner in Thousand Oaks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BlushThanks Julian...the reply before yours did make me feel bad!

I know most people are decent, but when you post 'teenage girl' online, you risk attracting the one reader who is not. As a parent, I've been warned over and over to be careful on the web, and so that's what I do. I simply wanted it clear that this is not an unsupervised teenage girl!

She went to boulderdash one evening a week all last school year. but she's very shy. She'd make an effort to ask someone to belay her but wouldn't be asked to do so in return- everyone seemed to have their own group to belay for each other already. Possibly because she says so little, they weren't sure whether she wanted to continue interacting.

I've posted to several groups of her friends, but none seem interested in rock climbing on a regular basis. Plus it's not the cheapest hobby, and money is tight everywhere, people aren't starting anything new. Boulderdash employees suggested I try here.

julianw

Oct 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 5 (525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bairnns] Teenage partner in Thousand Oaks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sent you a PM

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook