RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

360mongoose

Nov 3, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #1 of 21 (4359 views)
Shortcut

8.5 mm as single?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so I was at an EMS looking for my first batch of rock climbing equip and i ended up getting a mammut 8.5 mm rope ( http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Detailed/1821.html ) and i used it as a single for a rappel. I haven't used it since (haven't had the chance) but it's the only one i have and when I go out again I'm using it. I just started looking through forums here and it seems the smallest ropes generally used for singles are like 9.6 or maybe a little smaller.
SO tell me if I was stupid getting that rope. And knowing this place I'm sure more than a few of you will be happy to. Wink

rock_fencer

Nov 3, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #2 of 21 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [360mongoose] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chances are its part of a double rope system.

jaablink

Nov 3, 2008, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 21 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(MAMMUT Genesis 8.5 x 60 Dry
With a diameter of just 8.5 mm, this 60-meter "half" (or double) rope must always be used in pairs. The ropes are clipped into protection alternately, which greatly reduces rope drag over rock obstructions.)

This line was designed to be used in tandem. Half means it’s designed to be a double line , you need one more. That is why it is so cheep…. Its not a single line. 1 marked on the line says it is a single line , ½ marked on the line says it is designed for double, and 1 // ½ marked says it is acceptable for both, like the 9.2 sterling lines.

did you READ the part that said (MUST ALWAYS BE USED IN PAIRS) ????

Your going to DIE!!! n00b

rockvaulter

Nov 3, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #4 of 21 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow...looks like my old employer effed up again. For their sakes I hope you just grabbed the rope and bought it. But then again, everytime someone buys anything climbing at my store, I make sure they know how to use it. Most likely its the Mummut Genesis, which is used for a double rope system.

But you'll be fine...you know, unless you fall.

vegastradguy

Nov 3, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #5 of 21 (4331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockvaulter] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for climbing, a single 8.5mm is part of a double rope system and should not be used by itself.

for rappelling, a single 8.5mm is more than adequate. if you're rappelling on a single strand, though, keep in mind that most devices arent really rated for it, and you'll want to use some sort of back up system.

chossmonkey

Nov 3, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #6 of 21 (4288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

360mongoose wrote:
And knowing this place I'm sure more than a few of you will be happy to. Wink

And knowing that you know that and this is your first post I'm sure you are a troll.Tongue

slatermcs

Nov 3, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 21 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's actually sad that this poor fellow climber can't get a decent response. Some "climbers" need to make him feel stupid to make themselves feel better. My advice is to NEVER seek advice from this site again. Find a climbing group in your community as I have done and ask your questions there. Jagoffs like on this site find it harder to call you stupid in person as they do over the internet. Most of the people writing negative responses on this site are posers anyway. To answer your question, no 8.5 mm will not be adequate as a single rope system. It was most likely intended as a double rope system. i recommend at least a 9.8 mm for a single rope. Good luck on your future climbing endeavors.

spikeddem

Nov 3, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #8 of 21 (4255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slatermcs] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slatermcs wrote:
It's actually sad that this poor fellow climber can't get a decent response. Some "climbers" need to make him feel stupid to make themselves feel better. My advice is to NEVER seek advice from this site again. Find a climbing group in your community as I have done and ask your questions there. Jagoffs like on this site find it harder to call you stupid in person as they do over the internet. Most of the people writing negative responses on this site are posers anyway. To answer your question, no 8.5 mm will not be adequate as a single rope system. It was most likely intended as a double rope system. i recommend at least a 9.8 mm for a single rope. Good luck on your future climbing endeavors.

Five out of six replies answered his question. If we count mine, then six out of seven.

(Like the others said, buy another line to go with it. Different color though.)

jaablink

Nov 3, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #9 of 21 (4237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slatermcs] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This can be a dangerous sport if not done correctly. I can recall someone buying, by-pattern lines that were not equally marked and no knot at the ends. They went to what they thought was the center and rapped right off the line….

This n00b said

“I haven't used it since (haven't had the chance) but it's the only one i have and when I go out again I'm using it”

He disserves what he gets, his balls will be busted. It will make him think about it next time. He may live long enough to be a great climber someday.

Partner wormly81

Nov 3, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #10 of 21 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who has used double ropes knows that there are alot of times where a single double rope protects against groundfall. To quote Fight Club, "You choose your own level of involvement." That being said, you definitely have the wrong piece of equipment for leading single pitch climbs. That rope will wear out very fast, develop flat spots, and isn't as well suited to the size of belay devices (all else held constant, your belayer would be more likely to lose control of the rope during a fall or lowering). Go get yourself a cheapo single rope that you can destroy when learning about how to set up your rope systems to protect your rope and then buy a second double to complete your set of doubles when you are ready for that.

360mongoose

Nov 3, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #11 of 21 (4175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

um nooo your the troll here, leaving your obnoxious comments all over this site that you sit back and snicker at. I've use this site for info for a while now. the way you go check post counts to see that this was my first so you could bash me makes you a jack who obviously doesn't care much about the people you pretend to help

360mongoose

Nov 3, 2008, 8:27 PM
Post #12 of 21 (4174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks

360mongoose

Nov 3, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #13 of 21 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay so it sounds like a bad idea to use an 8.5 mil as a single, but will the rope actually snap on me? I can understand that it probably wont last as long, but I can still use it for climbing without major risk... right? heck people used to use hemp ropes!

oh btw I'm using it with an ATC and it was pretty smooth.

jaablink

Nov 3, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”

There was an incident around here of a half line braking last year on an ice climb. The cause- rope cut rubbing on a sharp flake -top roped - (it was a very poor setup most climbers would not made) but it still happened….
Another incident was reported in last years or 06’s book “Accident Report” I don’t remember which year but you can get the book and learn not to make the mistakes other people have made.

I would really recommend you buy a new line , either its twin in another color, or a heavier line.
That line was designed for use with another of the same line. Another line thinner , thicker, or by a different manufacturer will have different elongations.. The use of safety equipment is that… safety equipment… for it to be most effective it should be used as directed by its manufacturer . Otherwise why use it at all. If it wont be effective, it is just extra weight to pack in.

Partner j_ung

Nov 3, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

360mongoose wrote:
okay so it sounds like a bad idea to use an 8.5 mil as a single, but will the rope actually snap on me? I can understand that it probably wont last as long, but I can still use it for climbing without major risk... right? heck people used to use hemp ropes!

oh btw I'm using it with an ATC and it was pretty smooth.

To be honest, the biggest risk is probably being dropped by your belayer. Thin ropes are hard to hold in hard falls, and you have a thinner rope than any of the rest of us are using, plus a belay device that isn't designed for thin ropes in the first place. Controlling the brake while rappelling is one thing. Catching lead falls is another entirely.

GeneralZon

Nov 3, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you put the cart in front of the horse. You need to do your research before you make uninformed choices. Now you have a few options. 1.) Spend more money getting a more appropriate rope while shelving the 8.5 until your skillz allow you to use it appropriately, 2.) Sell your minimally used 8.5 and get a more appropriate rope, 3.) Use the 8.5 in a manner that is not consistent with taking a safety conscience approach to climbing.

(This post was edited by GeneralZon on Nov 3, 2008, 9:49 PM)

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 3, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #17 of 21 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do yourself and anyone else you climb with a huge favor and buy/read the book "Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills" by Craig Luebben. Read this book a couple of times and find some people to climb with that know what they are doing. Make sure to have fun also, and don't climb with that rope as a single,..... please.

edited to add: you may also want to check out "Training For Climbing" by Eric J. Hörst, so you don't injure yourself.

(This post was edited by HappinessIsWinning on Nov 3, 2008, 10:15 PM)

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #18 of 21 (4098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeneralZon] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeneralZon wrote:
I guess you put the cart in front of the horse. You need to do your research before you make uninformed choices. Now you have a few options. 1.) Spend more money getting a more appropriate rope while shelving the 8.5 until your skillz allow you to use it appropriately, 2.) Sell your minimally used 8.5 and get a more appropriate rope, 3.) Use the 8.5 in a manner that is not consistent with taking a safety conscience approach to climbing.

I would go with #2 personally.

jaablink

Nov 3, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #19 of 21 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HappinessIsWinning] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.google.com/...;printsec=frontcover

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 3, 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #20 of 21 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Smile

360mongoose

Nov 4, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HappinessIsWinning] 8.5 mm as single? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HappinessIsWinning wrote:
GeneralZon wrote:

I would go with #2 personally.

yeah me too...

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook