RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

blondgecko

Dec 14, 2008, 1:34 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4276 views)
Shortcut

Decisions, decisions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, thanks to my recent win Cool I've now got a set of new Sony/Zeiss gear. Thing is, my current set-up is Canon. I'm really not keen on splitting myself between two systems, and there is no way my wife will let me sell the Canon (it was a gift to me from her parents). So... I'm going to have to part with it.

I was originally thinking of trading it in on a 5DmII - it'd make a big dent in the price - but then I came up with what I think might be a better idea. I've been thinking of trying to make my photography pay for itself for a while - perhaps now's my chance. I sell the Sony set-up, and use the money to get a bunch of my best shots printed and framed, and find somewhere to hang them.

Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions for hanging locations?

pico23

Dec 14, 2008, 1:55 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Decisions, decisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
So, thanks to my recent win Cool I've now got a set of new Sony/Zeiss gear. Thing is, my current set-up is Canon. I'm really not keen on splitting myself between two systems, and there is no way my wife will let me sell the Canon (it was a gift to me from her parents). So... I'm going to have to part with it.

I was originally thinking of trading it in on a 5DmII - it'd make a big dent in the price - but then I came up with what I think might be a better idea. I've been thinking of trying to make my photography pay for itself for a while - perhaps now's my chance. I sell the Sony set-up, and use the money to get a bunch of my best shots printed and framed, and find somewhere to hang them.

Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions for hanging locations?

Selling the Sony system is a no brainer. I don't see an advantage to the Sony over Canon. Nice glass yes, nothing special though.

Since the 5DII is priced below the Sony A900 (i think) there isn't much to gain.

Sounds like using the cash to market yourself is a good idea to me!

USnavy

Dec 14, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Decisions, decisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sell it and get an EOS 40D. I love my 40D, its teh shit. :)

blondgecko

Dec 14, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Decisions, decisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Sell it and get an EOS 40D. I love my 40D, its teh shit. :)

I'm sure it is, but I'm not really one to go for all the intermediate upgrades. I already have a 350D, and after 11,000 shots it's still going strong. The 40D just isn't quite big enough an upgrade for me to go for it - I'd rather wait until I can afford a full-frame model (ie. the 5DII).

USnavy

Dec 15, 2008, 8:29 AM
Post #5 of 10 (4170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If the 40D does not cut it how about the 50D? I love that it can shoot 12,800 ISO. If I knew that two months ago I would have waited and got one of those. The only thing that I dont like is the stock lens on the 50D blows. The 28 - 135 that comes with the 40D is MUCH better.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 15, 2008, 8:40 AM)

wes_allen

Dec 16, 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much $$$ are you talking? Prints to sell might be nice, if that is the direction you want to head. Or, a used 5d (they are selling pretty cheap right now) or even a 1dMarkII if sports are your thing. Then there is always glass. Or lighting gear.

blondgecko

Dec 16, 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Decisions, decisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The prize lens retails at around AUD$2700. I should be able to get $1800-$2000 for it reasonably easily, I think.

To be brutally honest with myself, I'm not going to be getting out as much as I used to for a while yet - partly due to my job, mostly due to the little guy. Any new gear is likely to spend quite a lot of time on the shelf.

On the other hand, I've got quite a collection now of shots that I really like, and I'm proud of. I've also learned a fair bit about Photoshop over the past year or two - I'm planning to spend some time going back and re-working my favourites. So, trying to do something more with them seems like a reasonably logical thing to be doing at the moment.

pico23

Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see any advantage to the 40D or 50Dover the rebel for the type of shooting you do. Well, except for losing the toy build!

That said, the EOS 5D is still among the very best RAW sensors, still among the best FF cameras, and the price is dropping.

I'm with Wes though, if your not getting out, then why not invest in a lighting system. You can work on your strobing, and portraits.

Or since you are so into panos, why not a decent panoramic head?

Well, it's fun spending your money!!! No matter what you do, you are in a good position, and right now it's a major buyers market.

I just picked up a Voigtlander 90mm Lanthar lens, which is absolutely a stellar lens that is equally sharp at all focus distances, and apertures but is no longer made, and will never be made again, because of a prenupt with Zeiss. Build is old school and it's made in the same factory on the same assembly line as those Zeiss ZK and ZF lenses that sell for a pretty penny! Anyway, point is last year this lens would have sold for the $600 the guy originally wanted, and not the $400 I paid.

Enjoy having cash in a buyers market!

blondgecko

Dec 17, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Decisions, decisions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lighting is most definitely a good idea, and one that I've been thinking about for a while. You just made me realise: hey, I'm going to have a spare bedroom in a month or two...

wes_allen

Dec 17, 2008, 1:30 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though I have the white lightning, http://www.alienbees.com/ is hard to beat for value. A couple b800's would be more the enough for most needs. Add a couple radio slaves, couple softboxes/umbrellas and you are set. And, if you want portable power, I am digging my new vagabond II. And, all that should still be under $1000 US, so you would have money left over to get some nice prints, or buy a nice large format printer.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook