Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

the_climber

Jan 13, 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #26 of 38 (1836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Spidermonkey.Rosi] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:
Alphaboth, you pretty much said it right but I say the four basic things in rock climbing go more like:Finger strength, flexibility, upper body strength, and balance. But your right, footwork is a big thing to.

I could argue against all of those.

To the OP: Don't worry about the weight. Seriously, if you get into it and it becomes a passion that weight will drop,become muscle, or you're body will adapt.
I've always been on the stalky end of things, hell I'll even admit to being fat at times. The thing is overall climbing/hiking fitness is more important. Running/swimming/... all helps, but the fact still remains climbing is the best training for climbing. In addition to that climbing as an excersize promotes muscle tone.
224lbs isn't anything to worry about, especially at 6'2". If you want to compair, I'm 5'10" or 5'11" (not really sure, don't really care) and tip the scales at about 205lbs. I've been heavier, been lighter... all while climbing. In fact I'm climbing more commiting difficult routes than ever before (not to be confused with most difficult I've ever climbed, but that has more to do with injuries and time than weight). What I'm trying to get at is don't worry about the weight, that will sort itself out if you deside to make climbing a/your lifestyle.
My one piece of advice for heavy climbers:
It's not the number of pull-up's you can do, it's not how many miles you can run or laps you swim. It's not even you're diet, eating habbits, or how many beers you drink 5 times a week. And although those things may factor in at some point they are not what is important. Technique goes worlds beyond strenght to aiding a climber, any climber, but especially heavier climbers.

phase

Jan 13, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #27 of 38 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:
Alphaboth, you pretty much said it right but I say the four basic things in rock climbing go more like:Finger strength, flexibility, upper body strength, and balance. But your right, footwork is a big thing to.

To the OP: Don't worry about the weight. Seriously, if you get into it and it becomes a passion that weight will drop,become muscle, or you're body will adapt.
I've always been on the stalky end of things, hell I'll even admit to being fat at times. The thing is overall climbing/hiking fitness is more important. Running/swimming/... all helps, but the fact still remains climbing is the best training for climbing. In addition to that climbing as an excersize promotes muscle tone.
224lbs isn't anything to worry about, especially at 6'2". If you want to compair, I'm 5'10" or 5'11" (not really sure, don't really care) and tip the scales at about 205lbs. I've been heavier, been lighter... all while climbing. In fact I'm climbing more commiting difficult routes than ever before (not to be confused with most difficult I've ever climbed, but that has more to do with injuries and time than weight). What I'm trying to get at is don't worry about the weight, that will sort itself out if you deside to make climbing a/your lifestyle.
My one piece of advice for heavy climbers:
It's not the number of pull-up's you can do, it's not how many miles you can run or laps you swim. It's not even you're diet, eating habbits, or how many beers you drink 5 times a week. And although those things may factor in at some point they are not what is important. Technique goes worlds beyond strenght to aiding a climber, any climber, but especially heavier climbers.

Thanks for the input mate Smile The guy that was Belaying me said that i had a good starting basis (using my legs more than my upper body) I think the one thing i was most suppriesd about was my posture, i had realized how bad it was utill yeasterday. Unsure

strongmadsends

Jan 13, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #28 of 38 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phase] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6'2 225 is not bad at all. I'm 6'2 and am about 220 right now but have was at 240 this time last year.

At 240, you may huff and puff your way up but man, you can enjoy climbing no matter what your weight.

I was thinking 224 and 5'8. at your size, you're fine and probably in better shape than most people. At least most people in the States. And I guess that doesn't say very much. but, yeah, you're good!

Oh, and dropping the weight has definitely helped me with everything, sleeping better, living better and climbing better. My goal is to lose another 30-40 this year.

phase

Jan 13, 2009, 5:15 PM
Post #29 of 38 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [strongmadsends] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

strongmadsends wrote:
6'2 225 is not bad at all. I'm 6'2 and am about 220 right now but have was at 240 this time last year.

At 240, you may huff and puff your way up but man, you can enjoy climbing no matter what your weight.

I was thinking 224 and 5'8. at your size, you're fine and probably in better shape than most people. At least most people in the States. And I guess that doesn't say very much. but, yeah, you're good!

Oh, and dropping the weight has definitely helped me with everything, sleeping better, living better and climbing better. My goal is to lose another 30-40 this year.

Thanks for that, im defo gona get rid of this gutWink less beer will help. Good luck with your goals Smile

Phase

jeepnphreak

Jan 13, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #30 of 38 (1784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well as said above the heaveyer you are the more difficult it may be,
My best friend climbs some times, useally in the 5.7 range and he is
6 foot 7 and 350 lbs.
I have to tie my self to the ground to belay but he give it every thing he can.

the_climber

Jan 13, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #31 of 38 (1779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a big difference between 6 foot 7 and 350 lbs, and 5 foot 10 to 6 foot 2 and 225-250lbs.

I've seen beer gut toting 250+lbs monsters walk up 5.11 like nothing. I've also seen skinny as a rage climbers with a number of years of climbing undre their belts flair on 5.9

Like I said earlier, techniques goes a long way. Yes, the heavier you are the more work, as defined by the physics of it, you will have to do. The term Difficult/Difficulty in this sence may be missleading.

kyleshea

Jan 13, 2009, 6:59 PM
Post #32 of 38 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
Spidermonkey.Rosi wrote:

most people should agree with this. this being the_climber's statement.

robbovius

Jan 13, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #33 of 38 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

phase wrote:
Anyway had a taster session at my local indoor wall and feckin loved it Cool. Now booked on a 4 week course to learn the basics, then were going on a crag somewhere to learn more stuff. Supper excited.

Phase Smile

dude, when I started climbing seriously in nov '02, I was weightlifting all the time and weighed 195-198 at 5'9". I had no technique, zero footwork ability, and thugged it up everything, getting shut down on lots of stuff.

now, I still weigh about the same but haven't weightlifted seriously in 5 years, so I've lost some upper body strength. inreturn tho i've developed technique and can get up things that I would not have even tried back then.

onething being this heavy, watch out on the overhanging plastic...I've got serious tendon and ligament issue in my fingers now from thrashing on bouldering walls.

on the other hand my footwork is strong, and as long as its a thin feet kinda steep slab, I can get up those .10s now.

I've just started going back to the weight gym regularly but more for general stengthening and uphill hiking endurance, than any kind of heavy weightlifting.

therat

Jan 14, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #34 of 38 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
[image]http://opcug.ca/public/reviews/Graphics/monty_python_spam.jpg[/image]

Spam Egg Sausage & Spam, Spam Spam Bacon & Spam, Spam Bacon Egg Sausage & Spam, or just plain Spam?

phase

Jan 14, 2009, 4:10 PM
Post #35 of 38 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
phase wrote:
Anyway had a taster session at my local indoor wall and feckin loved it Cool. Now booked on a 4 week course to learn the basics, then were going on a crag somewhere to learn more stuff. Supper excited.

Phase Smile

dude, when I started climbing seriously in nov '02, I was weightlifting all the time and weighed 195-198 at 5'9". I had no technique, zero footwork ability, and thugged it up everything, getting shut down on lots of stuff.

now, I still weigh about the same but haven't weightlifted seriously in 5 years, so I've lost some upper body strength. inreturn tho i've developed technique and can get up things that I would not have even tried back then.

onething being this heavy, watch out on the overhanging plastic...I've got serious tendon and ligament issue in my fingers now from thrashing on bouldering walls.

on the other hand my footwork is strong, and as long as its a thin feet kinda steep slab, I can get up those .10s now.

I've just started going back to the weight gym regularly but more for general stengthening and uphill hiking endurance, than any kind of heavy weightlifting.

Thats a good point about the overhanging stuff and tendon damage. never thought about that. Think im a long way off getting on any overhanging stuff.

What do you me by getting 'shut down' on stuff??

Thanks

PhaseSmile

robbovius

Jan 14, 2009, 7:08 PM
Post #36 of 38 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

phase wrote:

Thanks

PhaseSmile

meaning, not being able to make it to the top, pumping out my hands/forearms early (typical n00b event) and subsequently falling off...and then seeing somebody else cruise the same route to the biners easily, and then thinking "WTF am I doing wrong?"

anytime you get on a route, or problem and can't make it past a certain move, or sequence of moves, adn therein fall off, you're shut down.

;-)

novices tend to climb hand-centric, wanting to find solid handholds and pull, and pretty much ignore the feet. this is a key recipe for pumping out and falling off.

on the majority of climbs the feet are as important as hands, and if you're on slab, even steep slab, they are more important than hands.

(This post was edited by robbovius on Jan 14, 2009, 7:14 PM)

phase

Jan 14, 2009, 7:48 PM
Post #37 of 38 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] weight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
phase wrote:

Thanks

PhaseSmile

meaning, not being able to make it to the top, pumping out my hands/forearms early (typical n00b event) and subsequently falling off...and then seeing somebody else cruise the same route to the biners easily, and then thinking "WTF am I doing wrong?"

anytime you get on a route, or problem and can't make it past a certain move, or sequence of moves, adn therein fall off, you're shut down.

;-)

novices tend to climb hand-centric, wanting to find solid handholds and pull, and pretty much ignore the feet. this is a key recipe for pumping out and falling off.

on the majority of climbs the feet are as important as hands, and if you're on slab, even steep slab, they are more important than hands.

Makes sense now, thanks Smile

jayboulder12

Jan 21, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #38 of 38 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm only 170 so I think I need to put on some more muscle.
JayB

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook