First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Supersitstart

Jan 21, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 79 (3355 views)
Shortcut

What V-Level to get sponsored
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm a pretty new climber but I'm progressing quickly. I sent V-1 my first time climbing, V-3 within a month, now 8 months later I'm at V-7. At this rate I will be at V10-11 in the next year, is that good enough to get sponsored, or should I wait until I get to V12 or so? I'm close to graduating, so I need some sponsors if I'm going to put off college to become a pro. Thanks!

marebear

Jan 21, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 79 (3339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Supersitstart] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait for it...

suilenroc

Jan 21, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 79 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear Madrock will sponsor anyone...Cool

Supersitstart

Jan 21, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #4 of 79 (3313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok but if I wait what will I do in the meantime? I climb 4 or 5 days right now, if I go to 6 maybe I'll improve faster? The other thing is my gym is lame and don't have hard enough problems. How do I set like a V-10?

I'll give madrock a call, can you hook me up with anyone there?

taydude

Jan 21, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #5 of 79 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh haven't you heard? V- anything is easier than anything on the V scale. Dude... you can't even do a V0? You must be really out of shape. Even the oldest and fattest guys on RC.com can climb that. Wow... I'd just off myself at that point.

clausti

Jan 21, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #6 of 79 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in all seriousness, what you need to get sponsored is enter lots of competitions (preferably winning or placing), meet the vendors, volunteer at trail days, meet the sponsors/vendors, climb a lot outside, meet the reps, make friends at your outdoor store, meet the reps, Talk to the guys demoing gear anywhere you see them, ect.

Be known, be good, be nice, be friendly, be someone they want to have represent them.

There are LOTS and LOTS of people who climb extraordinarily well who have never been and will never be sponsored. And there are some people who don't climb as hard as you'd think you need, who are still sponsored.

And that being said most sponsored climbers still work for a living. Lots guide, Lots do construction. One I know refinishes wood floors. Some run climbing gyms.

Your first year sponsored is not going to get you any $$$ unless you are sharma, which you aren't.

Your best bet to convince your parents to let you go on a road trip instead of college is be really really responsible, save up as much money as you can (no eating out no movies no lattes no dates) before you graduate, and, best case scenerio, get deferred admission to college.

Enjoy your road trip, they're really fun.

cporter

Jan 21, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #7 of 79 (3262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im guessing this is a troll but ill bite.

If you want a "real" sponsorship beyond free shoes you must compete and win in competitions. There is nothing special about your climbing abilities, there are many young guns these days that climb as hard as you are. A V-7 is a far cry from V10-V11 and don't expect this transition to be easy. Competitions are your best chance to get noticed. Also, climbers don't really make a lot money, you need to love what you do and not care about the money. Good luck.

curt

Jan 21, 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 79 (3251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
in all seriousness, what you need to get sponsored is enter lots of competitions (preferably winning or placing), meet the vendors, volunteer at trail days, meet the sponsors/vendors, climb a lot outside, meet the reps, make friends at your outdoor store, meet the reps, Talk to the guys demoing gear anywhere you see them, ect.

Be known, be good, be nice, be friendly, be someone they want to have represent them.

There are LOTS and LOTS of people who climb extraordinarily well who have never been and will never be sponsored. And there are some people who don't climb as hard as you'd think you need, who are still sponsored.

And that being said most sponsored climbers still work for a living. Lots guide, Lots do construction. One I know refinishes wood floors. Some run climbing gyms.

Your first year sponsored is not going to get you any $$$ unless you are sharma, which you aren't.

Your best bet to convince your parents to let you go on a road trip instead of college is be really really responsible, save up as much money as you can (no eating out no movies no lattes no dates) before you graduate, and, best case scenerio, get deferred admission to college.

Enjoy your road trip, they're really fun.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

wonderwoman

Jan 21, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #9 of 79 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cporter] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cporter wrote:
Im guessing this is a troll but ill bite.

Or a young idealist! Smile Good advice!

suilenroc

Jan 21, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #10 of 79 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supersitstart wrote:
Ok but if I wait what will I do in the meantime? I climb 4 or 5 days right now, if I go to 6 maybe I'll improve faster? The other thing is my gym is lame and don't have hard enough problems. How do I set like a V-10?

I'll give madrock a call, can you hook me up with anyone there?

Mark is extremely helpful. I wish i remembered his last name, shouldn't be that hard to find him though. He deals a lot with the dealer services.

clausti

Jan 21, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #11 of 79 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

meh. maybe, maybe not. if i can save the good people at the shoe companies this guy's call, then there has been good done today, yes?

jcrew

Jan 21, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #12 of 79 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

V10 might get some shoes.....v14 might get you a free trip to Rocklands, V15 and you could make as much as $20,000 a year. being pro seems so easy

curt

Jan 21, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #13 of 79 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

meh. maybe, maybe not. if i can save the good people at the shoe companies this guy's call, then there has been good done today, yes?

Well, I've started to ride my bike a bit more often and I am now at the point where I'm not really sore after going 5 miles. How much better do you think I need to get before a team will pick me up to ride in the Tour de France?

Curt

Johnny_Fang

Jan 21, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #14 of 79 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if jt512 is going to leave the site because people keep asking the same questions, i'm going to leave this site because the trolls don't even try very hard anymore.

clausti

Jan 21, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #15 of 79 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Well, I've started to ride my bike a bit more often and I am now at the point where I'm not really sore after going 5 miles. How much better do you think I need to get before a team will pick me up to ride in the Tour de France?

Curt

you should be placing in 100 mile races before you call gear companies.

see how easy that was?

uhoh

Jan 21, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #16 of 79 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Curt

see how easy that was?

I bet Curt could easily place last without even breaking a sweat! He'll be in the TDF in no time!

suilenroc

Jan 21, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #17 of 79 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Curt

see how easy that was?

I bet Curt could easily place last without even breaking a sweat! He'll be in the TDF in no time!

Derka Allah, Muhammad Jihad. Derka Sherpa-sherpa-sherpa. Hijacked!

nthusiastj

Jan 21, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #18 of 79 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Curt

Can you pass a piss test? I hear that's the new threshold.

clausti

Jan 21, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #19 of 79 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthusiastj wrote:
curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Curt

Can you pass a piss test? I hear that's the new threshold.

hehehe.

implant

Jan 21, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #20 of 79 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a lot of getting sponsored depends on how good looking you are. post some pics, i might know some people who know some people. if you look good, we can make videos look great, a little editting here and there, some fancy music.

do you mind working out on your climbing days off? a lot of the typical climbers just dont have the bodies were looking for right now. some of the companies i work with are thinking about bringing their clothing more mainstream, and trying to get their posters to sell more to teenage girls.

anyway, if youre serious about becoming sponsored, post some pics, preferably with your shirt off so i can see if anyone can use you.

(This post was edited by implant on Jan 21, 2009, 7:19 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 21, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #21 of 79 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM Gabe Walker. Like you he had amazing progress and is probably the most sponsored person on this site.

Gabe is the hero to all here who aspire to greatness

yokese

Jan 21, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #22 of 79 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
clausti wrote:
curt wrote:

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Curt

Curt

Five miles already? Kudos!, Time to remove the training wheels from your bike! Cool

acorneau

Jan 21, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #23 of 79 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
Derka Allah, Muhammad Jihad. Derka Sherpa-sherpa-sherpa. Hijacked!

limeydave

Jan 21, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #24 of 79 (3000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] What V-Level to get sponsored [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
PM Gabe Walker. Like you he had amazing progress and is probably the most sponsored person on this site.

Gabe is the hero to all here who aspire to greatness

This is correct.

I heard El Cap is being renamed Gabe Walker

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Jan 21, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #25 of 79 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Were these said V-7 routes outside? Or are you talking about gym grades?

Gym grades do not correlate with outdoor grades in any form.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook