Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

cush

Jan 22, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6950 views)
Shortcut

smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

you always hear about amazing sport climbing areas like rumney, the new river gorge, the red river gorge, and places like that but are there any sport crags in the north east that aren't quite as well known? places that might be good for a day trip or possibly a long weekend. i know of places like the ramapo transit cliffs and birdsborough and am looking for other places like that. just someplace i can go if i want to get a weekend of climbing in without having to make the journey all the way to west virgina or kentucky or new hampshire.

dudemanbu

Jan 22, 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cush wrote:
you always hear about amazing sport climbing areas like rumney, the new river gorge, the red river gorge, and places like that but are there any sport crags in the north east that aren't quite as well known? places that might be good for a day trip or possibly a long weekend. i know of places like the ramapo transit cliffs and birdsborough and am looking for other places like that. just someplace i can go if i want to get a weekend of climbing in without having to make the journey all the way to west virgina or kentucky or new hampshire.

Farley in western mass is very nice, and despite what the main page for it on this website says, there is legal access and parking.

Partner devkrev

Jan 24, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
cush wrote:

Farley in western mass is very nice, and despite what the main page for it on this website says, there is legal access and parking.

What about the up and coming development of sport climbing destinations in Connecticut?

dev

dudemanbu

Jan 25, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 13 (6823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ROFL. Still haven't been do them, and don't really plan on it. I spend all my time at metro rock anyway, outdoor climbing sucks.

devkrev wrote:
dudemanbu wrote:
cush wrote:

What about the up and coming development of sport climbing destinations in Connecticut?

dev

altelis

Jan 25, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 13 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just for the record, of the three areas listed only one is in the NORTH east.

rumney- north east

new- "mid-atlantic" bordering on south east

red- south east

charley

Jan 26, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Breakneck and lost crag near dunbar, pa. Which is near pittsburgh, pa. That would be 6 - 7 hours from jersey.

iron106

Jan 26, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to Pittsburgh this summer to visit family, how close is it to Pittsburgh? Also I might have two First climbers with me. Any suggestions?

taydude

Jan 26, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear there's an old bridge south of Rochester NY with bolts equipped. It goes at 5.9 :P totally worth it Pirate

apeman_e

Jan 27, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to CT to be with my family after three years in Tahoe City, and I was very surprised at how good the climbing in CT is. Quick approaches, clever sequences. Great hidden bouldering that is usually never crowded.

The bolts are coming- there is much more development since I was last here in highschool.

charley

Jan 27, 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
I am going to Pittsburgh this summer to visit family, how close is it to Pittsburgh? Also I might have two First climbers with me. Any suggestions?

The best link is no longer there. If you want and I remember I can look up directions etc. Pburgh is spread out so depending on just where it would take around an hour. It is just outside dunbar.

umeroz7

Jan 27, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone have a map ? half the places listed are not even close to NE!!

beesknees

Jan 27, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shagg crag in maine is the best climbing on the face of the planet. beautiful, overhanging granite at the top of a mountain. swimming in a little lake when it's not frozen, too.

jrathfon

Jan 27, 2009, 6:19 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] smaller/lesser known northeast sport crags? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
cush wrote:

shhhhhhh, this place doesn't exist... Tongue

but seriously, there are some "sport" routes at the gunks. sente' and neverneverland come to mind. same goes for cathedral, e.g. saigons.

(hey, at least i'm actually talking about the NE, not NE, but the NE...)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook