RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

rainman0915

Jan 26, 2009, 2:46 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2064 views)
Shortcut

pointers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im really new to slacklining and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

uni_jim

Jan 26, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainman0915] pointers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slacklining is something you learn by putting in the hours. I unicycled for several years before i tried slacklining, so i was able to balance on the spot within the first half hour. Start by doing this, with two feet on the web, and just get a feel for standing on the line. Once you can do this, try to take a few steps or gently surf, and come back to a balanced position. Keep doing this until you can walk the length of your line, surf, or do whatver trickery you want. All it takes is time.

Buurin

Jan 27, 2009, 9:08 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainman0915] pointers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think trying to just balance (not walk) on 1 foot is easiest because you can use the 2nd foot/leg for balance. Also I remember focusing on extending my arms out nice and wide (not to the point you're tense) to get the most out of them for balance.

As you get comfortable on 1 foot you can start trying to put the 2nd foot down and lifting it back up.

One thing that I think is useful in the long run is to not get in the habit of looking down (either at your feet, the line, or the anchors ahead of you), keeping your head up (looking at the other tree) is generally accepted as a good idea -- though I know guys who are pretty decent and they look down towards the anchors.

As the other poster said though, you just have to put in the time -- theres no magic tips.

Goodluck

NJSlacker

Jan 27, 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Buurin] pointers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely start by learning how to stay in one place. Keep your back straight, head up, knees just barely bent, and hands above your head in a "V" shape. Focus your attention on the furthest tree your line is attached to, or further out. When you step up, make sure your bigtoe and heel are both on the line, and that you're already looking at that fixed point. Remember stand up straight, don't look at your feet, cause they're going to move.

Work on balancing on one foot and two, cause when you move on to walking, you'll just be going from balancing on one foot, to two, to one, etc. When you feel like you can balance well enough, and can catch yourself from falling by adjusting your weight, move on to walking. Remember when walking to feel the line with your foot before putting any weight on it. Once again, the line moves, and it's not a good feeling when you take a step and the line isn't there.

Like it was said before though, it's mostly practice and strengthening some fine-twitch muscles that we're not used to using. It won't come to most people the first time.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook