Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

andrewd

Mar 9, 2009, 2:55 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to portland for may or june. Thought about climbing some mountains while we are there. We have limited mountaineering experience but wanted to know if there was anything that we can climb that wouldn't require vertical ice or belaying. I have found from a quick internet search that Mt. Hood and Mt. Shasta may be an option. Any help on this quest would be nice.

andrewd

Mar 9, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewd] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its actually looking more like the first week of july now.

kachoong

Mar 9, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewd] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt Jefferson is a great peak... near the summit is technical, but it's OK up to there. Remember too that it's in a limited access wilderness area, so follow all local rules for camping etc.

andrewd

Mar 9, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind a little bit of low angle front pointing but I really don't want to have to set up belay and get into all that. I am reading that Hood's main season is may to late july. What clothing do you need in july? I would assume It can still get fairly chilly up there. Wink

kachoong

Mar 9, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've heard, Hood can be a serious undertaking for anyone not familiar with the area. I would seriously suggest you climb something less difficult to begin with. Plan for all extremes and don't always count on the tips given by people on the Interweb. Wink

Summitpost has some good info on these peaks. eg. Hood, Jefferson.

andrewd

Mar 9, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't Jefferson in montana? I'm going to portland because we are wanting to do other activities in that area. Although jefferson would be cool, i'd rather stick to something closer.
Tongue

kachoong

Mar 9, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jefferson is about 50-60 miles as the crow flies south of Mt Hood.

andrewd

Mar 9, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh gotcha. That does look fun. Is it doable in one day?? I may try to hire a guide to do shasta. Looks like its a three day climb for noobs. Cool

Durin

Mar 10, 2009, 7:08 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt Shasta is wonderful -- but I've only been up the easy/standard class 3 route, Avalance Gulch.

If you know how to self arrest then I doubt you need a guide on Avalanche Gulch. There's only one bergschrund you need to be wary of, and you can completely avoid it.

Just remember a helmet for the falling rocks in the gulch.

EDIT: if you wanted to be guided up something in that area, I'd run over to Mt. Rainier.

(This post was edited by Durin on Mar 10, 2009, 7:11 AM)

erclimb

Mar 10, 2009, 1:21 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"We have limited mountaineering experience"

dude, don't become a statistic...several people died on hood a couple years ago, and they all had experience...a chopper also crashed trying to rescue them

hire a guide

atg200

Mar 17, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erclimb] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go do Mt Adams in southern Washington. It is an easy but long snow hike on the South Slopes, and will be a good gauge for Hood and Shasta. It is pretty low angle and has no crevasses.

In July, you will most likely be climbing in a light jacket at most, but be prepared for cold and snow just in case.

graniteboy

Mar 17, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the list I'd recommend: They're all basically just walks with crampons and an axe. Hire a guide if you feel any misgivings. People get whacked on the easiest of climbs, so know yourself.

1) walk up lassen. It's a 1 to 3 hour hike from the road pass. This will help you acclimate for the others on the list
2) Take a walk up the avalanche gulch on Shasta. Remember a helmet...lots of little rocks zip down that thing every day when the sun warms it up. Don't forget to get yer permit.
3) McLaughlin. Easy.
4) Go on and do hood. But pay attn to the previous accidents on it and only do it if weather is scheduled to be good.

dingus

Mar 17, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt Shasta is wonderful -- but I've only been up the easy/standard class 3 route, Avalance Gulch.

If you know how to self arrest then I doubt you need a guide on Avalanche Gulch. There's only one bergschrund you need to be wary of, and you can completely avoid it.

Just remember a helmet for the falling rocks in the gulch.

EDIT: if you wanted to be guided up something in that area, I'd run over to Mt. Rainier.[/quote]

Rainier is not in the area.

DMT

dingus

Mar 17, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
Here's the list I'd recommend: They're all basically just walks with crampons and an axe. Hire a guide if you feel any misgivings. People get whacked on the easiest of climbs, so know yourself.

1) walk up lassen. It's a 1 to 3 hour hike from the road pass. This will help you acclimate for the others on the list
2) Take a walk up the avalanche gulch on Shasta. Remember a helmet...lots of little rocks zip down that thing every day when the sun warms it up. Don't forget to get yer permit.
3) McLaughlin. Easy.
4) Go on and do hood. But pay attn to the previous accidents on it and only do it if weather is scheduled to be good.

This is a reasonable approach for a novice team. But by July Lassen will be class 1 up the trail (with a few snow banks to skirt) is my guess.

DMT

graniteboy

Mar 17, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My Bad...didn't read his updated July vacation date.
I take it back....bring you rstring bikini and those cute little walking poles everybody uses these days....
Still, lassen's a good one to grab for acclimation reasons B4 you do shasta, and you can easily get it done and be down at the bar at Los Ramos in shasta city for happy hour.

Get the Seafood Molcajete.

Hammertoes

Mar 29, 2009, 8:04 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] Suggestions for non-technical mountaineering in Oregon and Northern Cali for May-june 09 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ignorance won't save you from a bad decision. Hire a guide so you can at least learn some basics. Otherwise, stick to the flat land.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook