Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Mar 13, 2009, 8:11 AM
Post #1 of 19 (16613 views)
Shortcut

Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

So here are some random pictures I have taken with my Canon 40D. I used the stock 28 – 135 mm lens with a UV filter and in some cases a ND4 and/ or Polarizer filer. In some cases I also maximized the contrast in the camera’s menu and in other cases I added a color shift. So what do you all think? The first 20 or so pictures were a bit more serious in nature and I specifically tried to make those look as good as possible. The remaining pictures were just pictures I found to be interesting. I threw in a few climbing pics at the end for fun.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 13, 2009, 8:14 AM)

altelis

Mar 13, 2009, 1:34 PM
Post #2 of 19 (16570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

^^^^^I'm not reading thatShocked

USnavy

Mar 13, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #3 of 19 (16533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
^^^^^I'm not reading thatShocked
There is nothing to read...

camplicated

Mar 13, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 19 (16526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not bad! The kids-in-wave shots are pretty neat. It would be cool to see the people closer up. Two suggestions: don't center the subject you're shooting every time and work on your exposure settings. Good start though.

patmay81

Mar 13, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 19 (16524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so, are there a lot of bolted cracks in Hawaii?

altelis

Mar 13, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #6 of 19 (16515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is officially the largest waste of bandwith and my time.

I'm not opening this thread again. That isn't a comment on the photos, one way or another. Its just the SILLIEST way you could have chosen to display them. Posting them onto Flickr and giving us a link where we could view them one at a time as a slideshow would have made infinitely (and I'm pretty sure I mean that quite literallyCrazy) more sense than having them all displayed in this thread, one at a time. I have quite a fast connection and its still a royal pain in the arse.

I'm quite serious about not opening this thread again- if you (and thats for ANYBODY reading this thread) have any desire for me to see any response you may have, either PM me or start a new thread.

Over. And out.

P.S.- USN, there really isn't anything to read?!?!?! I swear I saw a novel's worth of text in there somewhereUnsure

P.P.S- what IS the deal with hawaii and bolted cracks. i thought all the people who make a huge stank ass deal about bolted cracks on this site were just imagining a theoretical thing that they could rant and piss and moan about. guess i was wrong Pirate

P.P.P.S-YEA emoticonsCoolCrazyAngelicTongueSmileFrownBlushMadLaughSlyShockedLaughSlyUnimpressedPirateUnsureLaugh

USnavy

Mar 13, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 19 (16495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
P.S.- USN, there really isn't anything to read?!?!?! I swear I saw a novel's worth of text in there somewhereUnsure

]
ummm... That would be the heroin kicking in? There is a small paragraph at the beginning of the topic, nothing more. Do please try to pay attention...

truello

Mar 14, 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #8 of 19 (16460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like you like to play with the saturation slider in Photoshop, no? Some of them just seem TOO colorful. Also, the climbing shots are great but I would enjoy them more if the subject wasn't looking at the camera in most of them. Looks a bit staged.

climb4life1222

Mar 14, 2009, 5:19 AM
Post #9 of 19 (16428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome photography dude Cool

GeneralBenson

Mar 25, 2009, 3:18 AM
Post #10 of 19 (16171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing pictures all look ridiculously posed.

pico23

Mar 26, 2009, 4:40 AM
Post #11 of 19 (16107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a general rule, when posting a "look at me" thread, make it good.

not only was this a waste of bandwidth, but so many shots were just the out takes of what I assume was a core shot somewhere in there. pick the best, if your not sure, pick a random shot.

It's one thing to toss 25 slightly different variations on flickr or something, I mean my friends like to pick out the photo they look least defective in, but to pust them to a website for everyone to see is just dumb. In a side note, a lot of people consider posting 25 variations of any photo even in your flickr just stupid, so take that for what it's worth to you.

Don't take it personally, anytime you post 50 less than mouth watering photos (and that goes for anyone on this site or any site no matter how good they are) you are going to not get a great response.

Finally, while I haven't climbed much since tearing my ACL followed by ACL surg over the last 2 years, but that crack looks pretty nice. Unless the rock is horrible, which it doesn't look like to my highly untrained eye, why in gods name would you place bolts. Looks like it would take some decent size stoppers.

knudenoggin

Mar 27, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #12 of 19 (16037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The clouds are great (and I'd spare so much of the water to buy more of the clouds--a case where one wants MUCH more
width in the photo than one frame (unless panoramic) gives!).
That wave near top (w/one person distractingly in it) is a nice
shape in opposed breaking tops (too bad we don't see more of the
right side).
And the hillside residence with great night sky is great;
here, I think a wider view to get more sky would be good
(and cropping the result maybe to squareness, to keep it
the width of the town).

----------
And, with an LX3 handy, I macro-photo'd your falling climber's
tie-Fig.8, which betrays a few things ... .

---------
As for "waste of bandwidth", I'll give my piles of *poo* to all those
who like to QUOTE entire long passages gratuitously--like adding
a "yes" after the gazillion quoted parts. Oh boy, so glad to re-read THAT... !

But surely you've got a bigger set of pics than should be lumped into a post.

Frown

kennoyce

Mar 27, 2009, 9:15 PM
Post #13 of 19 (16028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry USN, I wasn't a big fan of the pics. This is really nothing personal, but I thought that most of them were uninteresting, A few had potential to be very good (the second pic particularly) but the subject was always centered (use the rule of thirds). I also have to say that the climbing pics should go in the worst pics of RC.com thread, they are horribly posed, the subject is half way out of the pic in several cases, and they are shot from bad positions.

This isn't to put you down, I just think that you could do a lot better with some more practice.

jrathfon

Mar 27, 2009, 9:24 PM
Post #14 of 19 (16025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is all meant to be constructive, so sorry if it sounds harsh:

A number of your horizons are crooked, that's just plain distracting.

I'm on a T1 at a university, so didn't have a problem loading.

2nd to the too much saturation. Try just hitting "Auto Levels" in photoshop, that would avoid a lot of your overexposures, such as: the half sunny side of the storm over the beach picture, the blue shirt of your climber, the highway lights, a number of your skies and clouds, and the sun reflecting off the water/sand around the rocks. Overexposures suck and pretty much ruin the shot, no matter how good the composition.

In pretty much every photo you are either centering the subject or using the rule of thirds, which is just kind of bland, it screams I just read an internet forum on photo composition.

A few of the shots are uniquely captured though maybe cliche', i.e. water flowing over ledges (but they are lava ledges, so that makes them cool to me, since I've never been to HI), the sign on the boulder being pounded by the waves, etc. A few of these shots actually break away from your mold of composition, so they became more appealing.

Your climber looks "special". Ask him not to make dumb faces.

And yes, please pick the 1 best picture of a particular situation, 4 shots of the same rock with different water levels around it are boring.

chanceboarder

Mar 27, 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #15 of 19 (16017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is he sport climbing in a Metolious Waldo bigwall harness?

Granted I don't sport climb much these days but I don't remember there being a lot of need for one of the biggest most padded harness one can buy, or does he just spend a lot of time hang doggin? Laugh

....kidding

jrathfon

Mar 27, 2009, 9:27 PM
Post #16 of 19 (16013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

those bolts are corroded too!

fxgranite

Mar 27, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #17 of 19 (16002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm I liked a couple of them.

The second shot I thought was pretty cool, as well as the third pic in the series of water draining into a small basin.

and for some reason I kinda liked the freeway shots. I think the second one is better but I can't be sure.

Oh and I know absolutly nothing about photography so these are just personal opinions based on a quick scroll through.

I do agree that the climbing shots are just god aweful thoughWink

one more thing. I kinda like having all these pics in one thread rather than someplace like flickr cause then its really easy to scroll through them once they are loaded (which for me took like 1 sec cause I'm at work on a crazy super fast mega connection)

braaaaaaaadley

Mar 31, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #18 of 19 (15896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the thing. Some of your pictures are good, but a lot of them lack a reason for being. For instance, why did you take and post the close-up image of the black rock? What were you trying to accomplish and convey with it? Were you trying to show that the rock was black or porous? Another example is one of the first images with the clouds and the ocean. I think you were trying to show the ocean at sunset and that there were some pretty cool clouds on the horizon. To make the photo better in this case would be to add something to the foreground and make the clouds more obvious and the ocean less obtrusive. Once you start thinking along these lines your photos will improve.

(This post was edited by braaaaaaaadley on Mar 31, 2009, 2:11 AM)

USnavy

Apr 11, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #19 of 19 (15636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] Some of my work. Non-climbing photos. C&C welcome. Under 1.5 mbps = extreme death!!! 50+ pics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chanceboarder wrote:
does he just spend a lot of time hang doggin? Laugh

....kidding
I spend a lot of time belaying hang dogers... So yes when I am belaying someone for 45 min who climbs from bolt to bolt on a 5.9 I do rather enjoy my big wall harness. :P :) I have a sport harness as well but even on 5.12's I find it gives me absolutely no noticeable advantage over the larger harness and thus see no reason to use it.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 11, 2009, 2:13 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook