Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Mount Yonah Is Great.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

subantz

Mar 6, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6298 views)
Shortcut

Mount Yonah Is Great.  (North_America: United_States: Georgia: Georgia_North: Mount_Yonah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I went to mount Yonah today and yesterday. I found some boulders near the parking lot, Thanks to a nice person in the parking lot. We spent the whole day there. Climbing, Taking photos, and relaxing. Today I went on an expedition looking and searching, Lewis and Clark style. I had every intention of going to the top[the uppers] but driving up we saw ice and water still running down the face from the previous storm. so we walked to the lowers and ate a late lunch. The lowers has a lot of paint from the military. Also a couple of Aid climbs. and maybe a couple of fun routes. All in all not worth the stop. After lunch we headed for the White Wall. There was a faint trial so we headed on. What I found was a Secluded area. with the best 5.10b I have climbed on the mountain. There are also trails that branch off from here, Where do they go. I will have to see next week as it was getting dark. On our way down the mountain I noticed boulders every where strung out through the gullys and in little concentrations, but had no time to stop to see if there was any climbing on them. All in all we had a good time sitting around, climbing a little, and enjoying the mountain. This place has a real deep peaceful feeling that will keep me going back for more. Did I mention the rock is granite. Its a nice change from the sandstone. Which seams to be every where in the Southeast.

sthcrag510

Mar 6, 2009, 4:46 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Mount Yonah Is Great. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yonah is alright but its not the best place i have ever been. But you are right that the bouldering potential is tremendous. There much be tons of problems waiting to be found. Might be fun to start exploring that option. Didn't mean to rain on your parade. Yonah is a great place it just depends on what you like. Cheers

jbar

Mar 23, 2009, 8:00 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to balance out the prior threads Yonah is indeed great but not for the limited reasons stated above. I'm an old guy. Yep, that means I'm not one of the pad people. The reason I like Yonah is for it's proximity to us on the East side and for it's diversity. It's a nice hike on any day. It has a good mixture of easy sport and top ropeable routes, some difficult sport, lots of good slab, some trad and a little aid and even a via ferratta. You can find ice in the winter and shaded climbing in the summer or you can tan on the main face. I've taught a few people how to follow multipitch there. It's a great place to spend a day even for a gumbie. If you don't like to hike, sweat, or climb actual rock you won't like Yonah. Yonah is a wonderful natural setting. Please leave the buckets of chalk at home.

johnwesely

Mar 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there yesterday and could not find the white wall. How do you get there?

subantz

Mar 23, 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Mount Yonah Is Great. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John its a little hard to find. It is not visited to much and the trail is hard to spot. Anyhow do you have a Dixie craggers? If so look at the topo pages one of them is a areial shot of the mountain. It shows a trail from the lower heli pad. One goes up the hill and one goes right. Go right and look in front of you not the ground. If you look about 30 yards up the trail it is much easier to see suttle hints of it being there. It is a nice wall real secluded feeling. If you foolow the trail past the White Wall and up hill a little you will come to the Middle Kingdom.

subantz

Mar 23, 2009, 1:04 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbar] Mount Yonah Is Great. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yes Yonah has it all. but why leave the chalk buckets home? As most of the boulders are no where near the other climbing. You may see a person walking with a crash pad on the trail. Chances are thats the last you will see of them. The boulders are spread out a little ways. As for the mountain I like the Solitude in the middle of the week.

johnwesely

Mar 23, 2009, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. For some reason I thought it was uphill from the lowers. Is supercrack on the white wall?

jbar

Mar 23, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup. supercrack is the first vertical crack on the left of the white wall. Eons ago there was a trail the rangers used going up from the new parking lot trail to the white wall but I couldn't find it again last time. The middle kingdom has more cracks if you're a crack addict.

johnwesely

Mar 23, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbar] Mount Yonah Is Great. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a topo anywhere for the middle kingdom?

jbar

Mar 23, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No topo that I have ever seen. Years ago there were many places people climbed that I never hear of anymore. The X wall is a good example. I saw sombody doing some cleaning on Hanging Gardens just up from the Lowers Last fall. I haven't been to yonah in a long time I tend to run up there when I don't have a partner and rope solo a little on the main face. The only recent topos I've seen are for bolder'ers. Now every time I hike through the woods I find fire pits, sleeping areas and trash all along and under the boulders.

subantz

Mar 23, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a little something at Micheal Crowders Site. http://www.coolclimbing.com/topos1.htm its a few bits and pieces here and there. Do you have the Dixie Craggers Book? There is a hanging garden, Chickens roost, and I have a pic of a wall or something but I don't know the name of it.
I agree with the OP the trail is very hard to spot but if you look its there. As for the funky campsite to the right of the trail, after you pass the bridge. I call it the Bum Boulder. I pick a piece of that shit up every now and then. It is slowly disappearing. The only other fire ring I have seen is at the Parking area. I don't look around to much walking the trail and probably miss a lot. I am always looking at the ground trying not to think about the burning in my calfs.

Becknology

Mar 25, 2009, 1:41 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds cool. I've never been there, but I'll definitely check it out this year.

jbar

Apr 9, 2009, 4:12 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5936 views)
Shortcut

Mount Yonah Is Great. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone else climb out that roof just above what would normally be the ice route slab? It's an awesome little overhang probably 10' off the ground. It's pretty sweet. There's also a really burly looking arete at the left end of the roof. I didn't give it a try but I know I can't do it. I'd like to know if what I climbed is a named route and what grade it is if anyone has ever done it. Did some exploring, no ice today unless you have a set of 3mm screws.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook