RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

angeleyes

Mar 28, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Favorite way to carry gear tidy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I may be retentive but i can't stand gear that isn't perfectly tidy when I'm carrying it to the crag or just on me. Talking about things like carrying an extra sling or cordelette on a carabiner on my harness to carrying all my slings / carabiners / cordelette / protection on a pack.

Any clever tricks for keeping say an extra 60cm sling tidy when on a harness? I usually end up doing something like double it, tie random not.. shoot still more slack okay another knot...okay maybe one more. So I have this funky thing hanging off me that still swings around. Haven't found the perfect way to tie one up yet. Ditto for carrying a pre tied 20ft cordelette to say setup a top anchor, never been able to wrap it up in a way that seems neat.

Also what's your favorite way to carry all your stuff to the crag that has any kind of approach? Toss it in the bottom of the pack and sort it out when you get there? It seems like most packs don't have near enough clips on the outside to hang everything, let alone neatly and not bouncing for the approach.

I'm still trying to find the perfect approach pack.

thanks

andrewG

Mar 28, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any clever tricks for keeping say an extra 60cm sling tidy when on a harness?

Triple it up. Do a search. For longer, say 120cm, I triple it then put a finger through each biner twist a few times and then clip one biner to the other. Keeps it tidy.

In reply to:
Ditto for carrying a pre tied 20ft cordelette to say setup a top anchor

Quadruple it up (don't know how to explain except double twice) then tie an overhand in the middle and clip a biner through all 8 strands.

In reply to:
Also what's your favorite way to carry all your stuff to the crag that has any kind of approach? Toss it in the bottom of the pack and sort it out when you get there? It seems like most packs don't have near enough clips on the outside to hang everything, let alone neatly and not bouncing for the approach.

I have all my pro on my metolius double d gear sling so I just throw that in the bottom of the pack. Draws are all tripled and on a sling that gets thrown in the pack. Rope is butterfly coiled and thrown in pack, along with harness, helmet, chalk bag... This was my gear is organized, just put the draws where you want them and flake the rope. I've only put gear on my pack's gear loops once to walk from one side of the crag to another and the bouncing bugged the hell out of me, I'd never do that for a significant approach. My pack is around 70 liters.

Partner angry

Mar 28, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll climb better once you learn to deal with a certain amount of chaos. Keeping everything in order only leaves you unable to adapt. Learn where to use your OCD and when to drop it.

jsj7051

Mar 28, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You'll climb better once you learn to deal with a certain amount of chaos. Keeping everything in order only leaves you unable to adapt. Learn where to use your OCD and when to drop it.
Had to learn this myself , but damn good advise.
OP- I use a sm. stuff sack for slings/draws
I bought a lg. toilettry (sp.?) bag to carry 20 cams, nuts, tricams in. helps keep the cam cabels from hooking on everything.
If Angeleyes were my climbing partner I'd carry all the gear as long as she walked in front!Wink

swoopee

Mar 28, 2009, 7:34 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could drop the OCD, as I never find it useful. Heck some mornings it takes 3-4 trips back to the house just to make sure that the doors are locked properly. Unsure

altelis

Mar 28, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewG wrote:
In reply to:
Any clever tricks for keeping say an extra 60cm sling tidy when on a harness?

Triple it up. Do a search. For longer, say 120cm, I triple it then put a finger through each biner twist a few times and then clip one biner to the other. Keeps it tidy.

In reply to:
Ditto for carrying a pre tied 20ft cordelette to say setup a top anchor

Quadruple it up (don't know how to explain except double twice) then tie an overhand in the middle and clip a biner through all 8 strands.

In reply to:

I have all my pro on my metolius double d gear sling so I just throw that in the bottom of the pack. Draws are all tripled and on a sling that gets thrown in the pack. Rope is butterfly coiled and thrown in pack, along with harness, helmet, chalk bag... This was my gear is organized, just put the draws where you want them and flake the rope. I've only put gear on my pack's gear loops once to walk from one side of the crag to another and the bouncing bugged the hell out of me, I'd never do that for a significant approach. My pack is around 70 liters.

This is how big of a pack I use when I'm leading a bunch of noob highschool backbackers on expeditions (think NOLS)!!!!!!!!! Mother of god thats a huge pack! I comfortably get all my gear for a mountaineering trip in 70 L and HAVE to have have some spare room for when my kids can't cope and I get the privilege of carrying more stuff.

I'm not knocking you man, I'm just saying. I find too much room unweildy sometimes. Too each their own, I suppose

mtnkid85

Mar 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I clip everything to a single shoulder length sling. All the gear is in order from biggest to smallest, then passive then draws. I can quickly look at the entire thing and see if Im missing any gear then I tie a quick overhand knot in the main sling and toss the entire rig in the bottom of my pack. Get to where Im going reach in pull it out, untie the knot give it a shake and everything is ready to be racked again. Simple enough.

As for carring slings I carry 60cmers over my shoulder with one biner clipped through both ends- unclip one end and pull it off. If Im carring them on my harness I double it, twist it tight, then clip both ends into the biner. All the twists hold it nice and compact then you just unclip one side, shake out the twists and your set.

currupt4130

Mar 28, 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnkid85] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have all my trad gear on a Metolious gear sling with loops. The non fraction cams go on one loop, fraction cams on the next, micro cams, tricams, and passive on the next loop, and all my trad draws on the next loop. They're all in numerical order.

All my sport draws are on one piece of webbing tied into a loop and all my extra biners and belay devices on another. They all get stuffed into the bottom of my pack.

Webbing either gets daisy chained or knotted into a small enough package to rack, with a biner clipped to it.

For trippling slings, take a sling with two biners on it. Hold one biner and pass the other through it. Now clip the biner you passed through the other to the two strands that are hanging below. Shortens em up nice and neat.

On my harness, most of the gear gets racked in numerical order. Usually biggest cams at the front. If the route allows I put the whole numbers on one side and fractions on another. Passive gear and draws go on the rear gear loops, about half passive and half draws per side. Nut tool gets racked b/w the draws and passive gear and the ATC get's a ride under my chalk bag on my haul loop usually.

It sounds like a pain but it makes sense to me. If I'm in a funny spot I can just reach my hand down to my gear loop and finger my biners to find something without ever looking to check the size. It works for me.

(This post was edited by currupt4130 on Mar 28, 2009, 10:40 PM)

andrewG

Mar 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't currently afford a bunch of different sized packs. I don't extend the top and cinch it down quite a bit. I haven't found the extra room to be bothersome, and even if I could afford one its not high on my priority list of gear. The pack does everything I want it to, so for now the versatility is nice. One of these days though...

altelis

Mar 28, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] Favorite way to carry gear tidy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fair nuff

time2clmb

Mar 29, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
It seems like most packs don't have near enough clips on the outside to hang everything

Hanging gear on the outside of your pack is weaksauce.

Sin

Mar 29, 2009, 5:36 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually keep all of my cams and nuts on a sling, and draws, lockers, slings, and cord all racked on another sling that is then just tossed into a 40L pack. To put away slings, I tie them into chain sinnets (Daisy chains), and when im ready to use them, I just pull and they are ready. Cord, just quadrupel, then add a twist and a half and clip both loops with a biner. I have a bag for my rope and thats it.

Sinnet with cord,but works the same with webbing loops.

moose_droppings

Mar 29, 2009, 6:14 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For years I've tied up my cordelette like this

Pic from Chockstone.org

The rest of it gets racked my way, or if using partners rack, his way.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook