Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Apr 9, 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #51 of 89 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Durin wrote:
In reply to:
3. A need to tie into the middle of the rope instead of the end of it (party of 3 and a single rope on multipitch for instance).

This.

Simulseconding, Alpinism, and Mountaineering often dictate the need to tie into the middle of the rope as opposed to the ends.

I've usually used 2 opposing lockers to mitigate the weakness of carabiners compared to directly tying in.

I've also used, on occasion, a bunny-ears knot, each loop having it's own locker. In alpine situations however I tend to go with the alpine butterfly, since you're more likely to have the rope weighted in both directions (end climbers fall in crevasse).
ok, I'll play the n00b now, I suppose I am relatively n00bish when it comes to alpinism any way. Is it wrong to tie directly in with a bowline on a bite? I understand the advantage of the alpine butterfly, and have used it, but prefer to tie in directly to save biners.

The reason I like to "tie in" with lockers if I'm in the middle-man on glacier travel is mainly due to it being easier to escape the system if I needed to rescue either of my buddies.

zeke_sf

Apr 9, 2009, 1:01 AM
Post #52 of 89 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sjg0002] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because of this thread I tied tying in with a biner but I could for the life of me not figure out how to make it into the figure eight? Can somebudy help me??! Is this why I need two biners?! Thanks for your advices before.

(This post was edited by zeke_sf on Apr 9, 2009, 1:02 AM)

geeyoupee

Apr 9, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #53 of 89 (2421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

alright, i guess you were sort of rough, but i did learn some things.

i dont see any other way that i would have learned these things unless i tried to answer the question myself.

i could have just sat here and read the forums or tried to answer the question and got some feedback on it, otherwise you guys wouldnt have told me my flaws in thinking. im sure there are other poeple who may think in the same way as me but dont know the flaws in thier thinking. im sure people have learned something from reading about my bad advice

yeah i have read about tri axial load and that sort of stuff from books but it has yet to stick in my mind as i dont run across it frequently, mostly gym climbing. anyways i dont really give advice to others because in the gym, theres not much to give.

i just think this site would be a lot better if people were more friendly, ive seen other threads and its nasty.
on other forums ive been too, if you flammed poeple would flame on you for flamming.

good day

zeke_sf

Apr 9, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #54 of 89 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geeyoupee] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

geeyoupee wrote:
alright, i guess you were sort of rough, but i did learn some things.

i dont see any other way that i would have learned these things unless i tried to answer the question myself.

i could have just sat here and read the forums or tried to answer the question and got some feedback on it, otherwise you guys wouldnt have told me my flaws in thinking. im sure there are other poeple who may think in the same way as me but dont know the flaws in thier thinking. im sure people have learned something from reading about my bad advice

yeah i have read about tri axial load and that sort of stuff from books but it has yet to stick in my mind as i dont run across it frequently, mostly gym climbing. anyways i dont really give advice to others because in the gym, theres not much to give.

i just think this site would be a lot better if people were more friendly, ive seen other threads and its nasty.
on other forums ive been too, if you flammed poeple would flame on you for flamming.

good day

I do not like win people flamm me too. You seam nice. Help me with my question? Thanks.

patmay81

Apr 9, 2009, 1:10 AM
Post #55 of 89 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks Kachoong, I could see that as a pretty major advantage on some glaciers/some partners. I may start using that more often.

geeyoupee

Apr 9, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #56 of 89 (2407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im pretty sure there are more qualified people to answer your question but im not really sure what your question.
to tie in with a biner, you tie a figure 8 on a bighthttp://www.chockstone.org/TechTIps/F8Knots.htm

then put locking biner through that and through your belay loop. the use of 2 biners is so that it wont unlock itself and fall out and so that it is more secure with less of a chance of breaking the biner in a fall.

zeke_sf

Apr 9, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #57 of 89 (2401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geeyoupee] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh! The rope! LOL!!! I thought it was with the biner! This thread is teh best! Most helpful people.

geeyoupee wrote:
im pretty sure there are more qualified people to answer your question but im not really sure what your question.
to tie in with a biner, you tie a figure 8 on a bighthttp://www.chockstone.org/TechTIps/F8Knots.htm

then put locking biner through that and through your belay loop. the use of 2 biners is so that it wont unlock itself and fall out and so that it is more secure with less of a chance of breaking the biner in a fall.[/quote]

Alpine07

Apr 9, 2009, 1:28 AM
Post #58 of 89 (2390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Oh! The rope! LOL!!! I thought it was with the biner! This thread is teh best! Most helpful people.

then put locking biner through that and through your belay loop. the use of 2 biners is so that it wont unlock itself and fall out and so that it is more secure with less of a chance of breaking the biner in a fall.[/quote]

hehehe

Edit: the quote thingie is all f'd up.

(This post was edited by Alpine07 on Apr 9, 2009, 1:34 AM)

d0nk3yk0n9

Apr 9, 2009, 2:18 AM
Post #59 of 89 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jfitzpat] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jfitzpat wrote:
Actually, many use a giant locking 'hook'. But yes, steel biners are substantially stronger. They are also a *lot* heavier. But I wouldn't say that it is a foregone conclussion that the biner is strong enough for single failure point in climbing.

I guess this brings up another point I should add. All of the biners and most of the hardware used in the scenarios I mentioned above was steel. This is because we don't have to carry it anywhere, as it's stored in the tower where we were working.

Nevertheless, I would probably trust an aluminium biner in this situation anyway. I mean, ignoring the cross loading issue, which opens a totally different can of worms, an aluminium biner is strong enough for our anchors, or belays, etc., so it stands to reason that it should also be strong enough to hold a climber. However, as has been mentioned, the risk of crossloading the biner when it is clipped through the belay loop is much higher than the risk of cross loading any other biner in the system, so the strength and practicality of this use is much more questionable.

milesenoell

Apr 9, 2009, 2:27 AM
Post #60 of 89 (2363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jfitzpat wrote:
If you are using static line for top roping and the climber ends up with half a body length of slack, the biner is going to be subjected to more impact force than in it's designed application.
jfitzpat wrote:
Take a static line - often used in toproping at gyms, and give yourself a 5' fall. Ever had 4-6' of slack in the line by accident (hooked, distracted belayer, whatever)?

Who climbs on static line? Climbing gyms? You? I call bullshit.

Falling on static line can easily generate dangerous impact forces, which is why anyone who tries it long enough to take a fall quickly realizes their mistake. A gym is particularly sensitive to any act on their part that could be seen as contributing to an injury.

welle

Apr 9, 2009, 2:34 AM
Post #61 of 89 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [extreme_actuary] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

extreme_actuary wrote:
welle wrote:
My gym does the same thing. But this thread made me thinking - maybe I should not use the same biners for trad for an extra precaution - what do you guys think?

Your biners are probably riddled with microfractures.
If you send them to me, I can test them and dispose of them properly.

nice try, actuary. just to save on a postage, why don't I send you my whole brand new spanking n00b rack?Wink

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 4:03 AM
Post #62 of 89 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Who climbs on static line? Climbing gyms? You?

Check for yourself. For top roping most climbing gyms use static lines. Certainly the big ones here, like Rockreation, do.

I use static line for anchors, but not top ropes. But you'll see guides do it at Joshua Tree.

milesenoell wrote:
Falling on static line can easily generate dangerous impact forces, which is why anyone who tries it long enough to take a fall quickly realizes their mistake. A gym is particularly sensitive to any act on their part that could be seen as contributing to an injury.

If you've ever been to an indoor gym and top roped, you have almsot certainly fallen on static line. So why didn't your spleen shoot out your ass? Because if the climber is properly belayed, the fall is very small and the impact force low, with some dynamic effect from braking. Given the relatively small distnaces involved and the inherent swinging (most walls are vertical to overhanging), static line is generally safer.

Don't believe me and don't believe your eyes when you look? Check out an autobelay setup online. You are falling on a metal cable. Just how much elasticity do you expect from cable?

My point was that even in a seemingly benign situation, like indoor climbing, you can generate forces that are precariously close to the breaking point of an improperly rigged (ex. gate ajar) biner.

milesenoell wrote:
I call bullshit.

Well, you can yell out that giant mutant sea monkeys live in your ass and control your brain by jabbing it with pixie sticks and I'll take your word for it. But in this case, verifiable reality is on my side.

(This post was edited by jfitzpat on Apr 9, 2009, 4:04 AM)

Alpine07

Apr 9, 2009, 4:05 AM
Post #63 of 89 (2323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jfitzpat wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
Who climbs on static line? Climbing gyms? You?

Check for yourself. For top roping most climbing gyms use static lines. Certainly the big ones here, like Rockreation, do.

I use static line for anchors, but not top ropes. But you'll see guides do it at Joshua Tree.

milesenoell wrote:

If you've ever been to an indoor gym and top roped, you have almsot certainly fallen on static line. So why didn't your spleen shoot out your ass? Because if the climber is properly belayed, the fall is very small and the impact force low, with some dynamic effect from braking. Given the relatively small distnaces involved and the inherent swinging (most walls are vertical to overhanging), static line is generally safer.

Don't believe me and don't believe your eyes when you look? Check out an autobelay setup online. You are falling on a metal cable. Just how much elasticity do you expect from cable?

My point was that even in a seemingly benign situation, like indoor climbing, you can generate forces that are precariously close to the breaking point of an improperly rigged (ex. gate ajar) biner.

milesenoell wrote:
I call bullshit.

Well, you can yell out that giant mutant sea monkeys live in your ass and control your brain by jabbing it with pixie sticks and I'll take your word for it. But in this case, verifiable reality is on my side.

I'll give that five stars. Especially the last bit, hahaha.

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 4:17 AM
Post #64 of 89 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d0nk3yk0n9] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d0nk3yk0n9 wrote:
Nevertheless, I would probably trust an aluminium biner in this situation anyway. I mean, ignoring the cross loading issue, which opens a totally different can of worms, an aluminium biner is strong enough for our anchors, or belays, etc., so it stands to reason that it should also be strong enough to hold a climber.

Practically speaking, we do put a lot of trust in one big locking biner all the time. So strength doesn't really worry me either. But when I'm belaying you, I am stationary and can easily keep the thing properly aligned and closed. It is also generally protected from the full force of the fall (short of one of us falling off the belay ledge before placing a piece).

When something is critical and the biner is out of reach, the normal practice is to use redundancy. When it is on the sharp end, the climber is too busy to keep an eye on it, takes the peak force, and is much more likely to crossload or, God forbid, have the gate ajar (strength plummets this way with alum.)

In some unusual situation, I can see myself trusting a pair of alum. biners at the sharp end. But I'd always be nervous about one. Even with a locker, why not just back it up with a biner faced opposing?

milesenoell

Apr 9, 2009, 4:45 AM
Post #65 of 89 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gyms I have climbed in (Oregon, Washington, Germany) do use dynamic line, everyone I have ever climbed with climbs on dynamic line, and an auto-belay is a steel cable connected to a big spring. If it wasn't your spleen just might shoot out your ass.

clc

Apr 9, 2009, 5:32 AM
Post #66 of 89 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

from the petzl website.

just for TR with dynamic rope.
Attachments: tie-in.JPG (31.9 KB)

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 6:27 AM
Post #67 of 89 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
The gyms I have climbed in (Oregon, Washington, Germany) do use dynamic line, everyone I have ever climbed with climbs on dynamic line, and an auto-belay is a steel cable connected to a big spring. If it wasn't your spleen just might shoot out your ass.

Interesting, name some of the gyms and I'll call and see. The part your are missing can be found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_roping

The reason we use dynamic ropes in lead climbing is to dampen impact forces from larger factor falls. But, because there is essentially no slack in top roping, the fall factor is very small. So high elongation just creates an opportunity to swing around and hit things.

Think about it, when you lead climb, total elongation goes up as you go up. But in top roping, total elongation is highest (most rope played out) when you are closest to the deck. If the deck is a nice soft surface, like a Rockreation, this probably is no big deal, but if it is concrete, the risk is slightly higher.

But the primary reason that low elongation lines are slightly safer in climbing gyms for top roping is wear and tear. Dynamic line wears out much faster in that type of use.

Wikipedia quotes the University of Oregon Outdoor Pursuits Program and the Tradgirl FAQ, but you'll find the same thing in the AMGA Top Rope Site Management Certification Course:

http://www.ctmtrec.com/pdf_doc/AMGA%20TRSM%20Course.pdf

Notice that they want you to bring static or semi-static (sometimes referred to as "Gym Line") rope.

Under the circumstances, I'm pretty sure that your sea monkeys are getting arm cramps, but I'm happy to spring a few bucks and call your gyms to see if they are, in fact, bucking conventional wisdom and using dynamic line on their top rope setups.

P.S. The reason that there is a spring in an autobelay setup is the efficiency of the 'braking'. But it actually only provides a very modest amount of simulated elongation.

stanhampton

Apr 9, 2009, 7:01 AM
Post #68 of 89 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jfitzpat

First, never trust anything you read on Wikipedia. That information can be written by anybody and in this case the person who wrote the post on top-roping obviously did not know what they were talking about.

Second, you better read your link to the AMGA course again. It says to use a static or "semi static" rope for setting up ANCHORS and FIXED LINES. NOT for top-roping.

LET ME REPEAT. STATIC LINES ARE NOT FOR TOP ROPING.

Please stop repeating this dangerous practice. I've stopped several noob gym climbers from trying to toprope on static lines outdoors. Even a little slack in the belay can cause enormous forces on not only the climber, but on the anchor and every other piece of gear in the system. You should NEVER toprope or lead with a static line.

Dynamic ropes are used for a reason. They absorb impacts so that you and your anchors don't have to.

I don't know of any gym anywhere that uses static lines (it would be extremely stupid and no insurance company would cover them if they did) and nobody I have ever met (except ignorant noobs) has ever used a static line to toprope.

Common sense goes a long way......
In reply to:

kachoong

Apr 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #69 of 89 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jfitzpat wrote:

Static lines are for ascending, rapelling, and raising and lowering in rescue. They never have any more than about 3-5% static elongation, but in most cases it will be lower... more like 1-2%. Dynamic elongation isn't even usually measured in static ropes. There are situations where a top rope fall can generate the same force as a leader fall and without dynamic elongation the impact force will be higher. I have been to some gyms that will use static lines for top roping but the CGA does not universally accept this practise. MOst that I have been to use a more dynamic rope for top roping. I would be inclined to say the main reason gyms use static for top roping is a financial reason rather than safety. More and more you see gyms using "gym ropes", which fall between dynamic and static ropes in terms of their elongation.

Lazlo

Apr 9, 2009, 1:52 PM
Post #70 of 89 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:
opps sorry i have mistaken i just checked and its rated at 2KN higher than my biner. you were right

Sorry, but a rope doesn't ever have a strength rating, it has a maximum inpact rating, but is much stronger than that. I don't have any data to back up this claim, but I would think that the rope is by far the strongest link in the climbing system, and much stronger than a carabiners gate closed strength.

This is correct.

mojomonkey

Apr 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #71 of 89 (2213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On a related note, in her book on getting into traditional lead climbing, Heidi Pesterfield recommends using locking carabiners to connect the rope to the climbers to simplify changeovers at the belay when leading in blocks.

I've personally never followed that advice and just have the second re-flake the rope :) Once or twice when that would have been a pain I have untied to swap ends, with both of us taking extra care to make sure both were secure throughout, and properly tied in after.

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #72 of 89 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stanhampton] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stanhampton wrote:
I don't know of any gym anywhere that uses static lines (it would be extremely stupid and no insurance company would cover them if they did) and nobody I have ever met (except ignorant noobs) has ever used a static line to toprope.

Common sense goes a long way...

Again, we can thump our chest, but most use gym line, which is "semi static", with very little elongation.

Properly belayed, the fall factors in top roping should be very small. Outdoors, with longer runs, real obstructions, and less 'industrial' anchors, I whole heartedly agree that static anchor, dynamic climb makes safety sense (see my post earlier in the thread).

The whole point originally was to show that, even in the seemingly benign situation of a climbing gym, it is quite possible to build up fall factors that reach precariously close to the breaking point of an improperly rigged biner (open gate, side load, etc.)

But seemingly, angry at my position that biner clip in is generally stupid and contrary to safety, we've morphed to arguing that gyms are using different rope than they are, and that I am making a bunch of recommendations that I have just stated that, I, myself, do not do...

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #73 of 89 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
On a related note, in her book on getting into traditional lead climbing, Heidi Pesterfield recommends using locking carabiners to connect the rope to the climbers to simplify changeovers at the belay when leading in blocks.

FWIW, when swinging leads I generally use rope tie in for speed. When doing blocks, or leading all the pitches, I setup a single point anchor (usually cordalette) and just restack the rope. I don't like being disconnected from the rope on the rock, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone just getting started.

In general, I would think that a pair of biners would be strong enough, certainly I've used a locker and a non locker many times at an anchor. I just don't think that the benefits warrant the complexity, or the extra opportunity for serious error.

jfitzpat

Apr 9, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #74 of 89 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
I would be inclined to say the main reason gyms use static for top roping is a financial reason rather than safety.

I'd be inclined to agree. As I mentioned above, the dynamic lines wear out much faster and generally cost more.

kachoong wrote:
More and more you see gyms using "gym ropes", which fall between dynamic and static ropes in terms of their elongation.

Technically, they are "semi-static", with only very modest elongation. But even a tiny amount dampens impact force a lot - and you tend to get more impact force than nec. at gyms because of a lot of loose belays (it isn't nec. bad belaying, the anchor tends to be 'behind' the climber, which makes too much tension annoying).

GunksMonkey

Apr 9, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #75 of 89 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] tying in with a biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
ok, I'll play the n00b now, I suppose I am relatively n00bish when it comes to alpinism any way. Is it wrong to tie directly in with a bowline on a bite? I understand the advantage of the alpine butterfly, and have used it, but prefer to tie in directly to save biners.

Boline isn't a life safety knot that in and of itself should rule it's use out of the climbing world. They no longer teach using bowlines in confined space and high angle rescue in my area. Also the bowline is a unidirectional knot, so it would be inappropriate for this application.

A butterfly is a 3 directional knot, and perfect for this situation. And a whole lot easier to tie in the middle of a rope.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook