Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

qwert

Apr 12, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #1 of 42 (6518 views)
Shortcut

Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking to get me a new helmet.
I know all the "get the one that fits stuff" (and i also plan on doing so), but what i am most concerned about functionally is the protection the helmet will offer when i smash my head ON stuff (nasty fall, grounder ...) and not just against stuff from above.
For long and or alpine stuff i will keep my edelrid ultralight, thats rated for multiple UIAA impacts, but i guess for sport/ short stuff this is not that much of a concern, but i would rahter like to have protection in case of a groundfall. Especially in an uncontroled fall you tend to hit the sides of your head, and thats where a classic bucket helmet doesnt seem to offer much protection.
Foam helmets on the other hand seem to be as padded on the sides as they are at the top.
So i guess about any foam helmet would work. But many of them are not very solid, and for a gear abuser like me that might not be an optimal choice. replacing 60€ helmet after it safed my head - no problem. replacing a 60€ helmet after it roled down a slope because i didnt pay attention when unpacking my pack - no thanks.
so what about foam - hardshell combinations?
It seems like some of them only have foam at the top part and not the sides.
There seem to be a few new helmets that specifically are made for added sideways protection.
The Edelrid Madillo and Targa and the Wildcountry Alpine Shield and 360, so i am specifically interested in them (tests, links?).
I would guess i cant do to much wrong with a petzl meteor, but i would like to hear about some other options first, especially on harder shells.

qwert

patmay81

Apr 12, 2009, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 42 (6466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grivel salimander seems like a good choice for what you are describing, although I believe its a soft shell, but its foamed to the max. I have a petzl and a camp hardshell/foam combo helmets, and your right, neither have foam on the sides. It seems like they should work for small impacts of head to rock, but I usually try to avoid ground falls so I've never planned on a helmet saving my life in the event of a crater.

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #3 of 42 (6418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The alpine shield looks like the Alien.

pmyche

Apr 12, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #4 of 42 (6399 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

gunkiemike

Apr 13, 2009, 1:24 AM
Post #5 of 42 (6331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What exactly was the problem with the original Meteor? I've had a couple... no problems noted.

basilisk

Apr 13, 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #6 of 42 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I whipped 30 feet to a ledge and landed on my head while wearing an Elios. Neither the foam nor the shell broke, just a plastic piece that holds the inner headstrap in place

Can't get any better than that as far as I'm concerned

majid_sabet

Apr 13, 2009, 3:20 AM
Post #7 of 42 (6283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
I am looking to get me a new helmet.
I know all the "get the one that fits stuff" (and i also plan on doing so), but what i am most concerned about functionally is the protection the helmet will offer when i smash my head ON stuff (nasty fall, grounder ...) and not just against stuff from above.
For long and or alpine stuff i will keep my edelrid ultralight, thats rated for multiple UIAA impacts, but i guess for sport/ short stuff this is not that much of a concern, but i would rahter like to have protection in case of a groundfall. Especially in an uncontroled fall you tend to hit the sides of your head, and thats where a classic bucket helmet doesnt seem to offer much protection.
Foam helmets on the other hand seem to be as padded on the sides as they are at the top.
So i guess about any foam helmet would work. But many of them are not very solid, and for a gear abuser like me that might not be an optimal choice. replacing 60€ helmet after it safed my head - no problem. replacing a 60€ helmet after it roled down a slope because i didnt pay attention when unpacking my pack - no thanks.
so what about foam - hardshell combinations?
It seems like some of them only have foam at the top part and not the sides.
There seem to be a few new helmets that specifically are made for added sideways protection.
The Edelrid Madillo and Targa and the Wildcountry Alpine Shield and 360, so i am specifically interested in them (tests, links?).
I would guess i cant do to much wrong with a petzl meteor, but i would like to hear about some other options first, especially on harder shells.

qwert

thats what he said before his brain started to leak out

Petzl Meteor III Climbing Helmet

Ultralight and ventilated climbing helmet. With the METEOR III, one can focus on the activity. Mountains, caves and canyons are hostile places. One is exposed to rock or ice fall or branches carried by the current in canyons. Your head could hit a rock wall when progressing or falling (while caving or climbing). So is there any reason not to wear a helmet? Petzl helmets are so comfortable, stable and lightweight that it is easy to forget they are on while climbing, crawling, swimming, etc.

Easy to forget it is being worn:

* lightweight,
* excellent ventilation, twice the ventilation surface area of the previous model.
* Comfortable internal foam.

Easy to completely adjust:

* height of headband nape strap,
* headband circumference,
* chinstrap buckle lateral position.
* 4 headlamp clips.
* Integrated inserts for attaching the VIZION ice climbing face shield.Headband retracts for transport
* Carrying bag included
* One size: 53-61 cm

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Apr 13, 2009, 3:22 AM)

james481

Apr 13, 2009, 3:34 AM
Post #8 of 42 (6266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Didn't that guy survive? Also, didn't at least one person credit the helmet with probably saving his life? I'm just sayin'...

majid_sabet

Apr 13, 2009, 4:53 AM
Post #9 of 42 (6235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Didn't that guy survive? Also, didn't at least one person credit the helmet with probably saving his life? I'm just sayin'...

yes he did,so helmet does help but not all helmets are the same.

james481

Apr 13, 2009, 5:00 AM
Post #10 of 42 (6227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

So not only did his brain not leak out, but the helmet seems to have performed as advertised. What was your point again?

majid_sabet

Apr 13, 2009, 5:16 AM
Post #11 of 42 (6216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

So not only did his brain not leak out, but the helmet seems to have performed as advertised. What was your point again?

my point is that model helmet is a piece of shit and the subject did fuc* up his head with stuff coming out of his brain but he survived.

pmyche

Apr 13, 2009, 5:22 AM
Post #12 of 42 (6212 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

qwert

Apr 13, 2009, 7:26 AM
Post #13 of 42 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mjid, you are an asshole!
If you have something to say, please do so, but do it in a way that is understanable. Posting a random thing (that also seems to be wrong, or at least misleading) without backing it up and then just the makers specs for a helmet isnt helping at all. I dont have any problems with your struggle with the engrish language, but that shit gets on my nerves.
So

STFU!!

Basilisk, good to hear that you made it through your 30 foot fall! PArt of the reason why i am looking for a new helmet is that a friend of mine landed right next to me on the ground, also after roughly 30 feet of air. Not very pleasant Unsure He was wearing a meteor III, and it seems like his head also stayed ininjured, but seems like his arm took the most of the impact anyways.

As i understand it the hard shells are meant to take impacts at a single concentrated spot (ie. a falling rock) whereas the soft ones are better at bigger "impacts" (ie. hiiting the wall or the ground).
so i would really like a combination of both. Think i have to have a look at the grivel one (i heard you can get it in pink Crazy). I guess the elios is still one my list (as is the meteor), but i would really hear about the others.
Anyone with a new Wild Country or Edelrid helmet here?

qwert

apeman_e

Apr 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #14 of 42 (6135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quick note on the salamander-

I've been looking for a salamander for a while now and it turns out I couldn't find any grivel helmets for sale in the states. Add in the fact that transatlantic shipping is expensive (and expensive to return if you don't like the fit) and I was forced to pursue another brand.

Does anyone know if grivels are sold in the US somewhere?

tigerlilly

Apr 13, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #15 of 42 (6128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apeman_e wrote:
Quick note on the salamander-

I've been looking for a salamander for a while now and it turns out I couldn't find any grivel helmets for sale in the states. Add in the fact that transatlantic shipping is expensive (and expensive to return if you don't like the fit) and I was forced to pursue another brand.

Does anyone know if grivels are sold in the US somewhere?

Grivel North America, the US distributor closed up shop due to economic factors. There are still some retailers in the US importing Grivel. You might be able to order one from them. Here is one retailer I know of who still carries Grivel goodies:
http://www.mountaineer.com/

If you Google the Grivel website, they may list more.

Kathy

(This post was edited by tigerlilly on Apr 13, 2009, 1:07 PM)

Urban_Cowboy

Apr 13, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #16 of 42 (6128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Petzl Ecrin Roc, or Ecrin Best...sure foam/plastic combo helmets seam nice and are light but they are not the best thing out there...

Skidemon27

Apr 13, 2009, 1:56 PM
Post #17 of 42 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I OWN A METEOR 3 HELMET AND ITS SAVE MY NOGGIN A FEW TIMES!!!!, loved it so much went out and baught my girl one!!.........screw all haters the petzel meteor is the SHIT!!!!

james481

Apr 13, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #18 of 42 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
james481 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

my point is that model helmet is a piece of shit and the subject did fuc* up his head with stuff coming out of his brain but he survived.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (you're the YOSAR guy after all, so you would know better than I), but didn't that guy take something like a 100 or 150 foot fall straight onto a ledge? Is it your opinion that, if he were wearing a different model or type of helmet (an Ecrin Roc perhaps, which I choose only because that's what I wear), that his injuries would have been less severe? Why or why not?

desertwanderer81

Apr 16, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #19 of 42 (5906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ultimate in helmets! And my baby! Saved me from concussions a-plenty and probably my life. I am a huge fan.

hafilax

Apr 16, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #20 of 42 (5901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
[image]http://www.advexp.com/custom/photos/Petzl_Erin_RocHelment.jpg[/image]

The ultimate in helmets! And my baby! Saved me from concussions a-plenty and probably my life. I am a huge fan.
Did you read the OP?

desertwanderer81

Apr 16, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #21 of 42 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, and IMO it would fit his purposes very well.

desertwanderer81

Apr 16, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #22 of 42 (5891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As you look carefully at the helmet, it protects all of the important bits. Back of your head. The top. And the side. It's a fantastic helmet for all!

shimanilami

Apr 16, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #23 of 42 (5887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

basilisk wrote:
I whipped 30 feet to a ledge and landed on my head ...

That is unfortunate, but I understand a whole lot more about you now ...

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 16, 2009, 8:13 PM
Post #24 of 42 (5868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
As you look carefully at the helmet, it protects all of the important bits. Back of your head. The top. And the side. It's a fantastic helmet for all!

The Ecrin Roc is pretty outdated by today's standards and it certainly doesn't offer the side protection of others. For rock, I have a Camp Starlight and a Petzl Meteor III; the former is more comfortable and has better protection but the latter has better venting for hot days. For ice and alpine, the Camp Pulse is the most sophisticated (it's rated as a ski helmet too) but I have my old Ecrin Roc as a loaner.

desertwanderer81

Apr 16, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #25 of 42 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Helmet that protects the head not just against stuff from above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've bopped the side of my head against rock and been perfectly fine. It most certainly protects you in the places that count.

The helmet is very durable, does its job as far as protection goes, and has great ventilation. If in the winter, just toss on a beanie and you're nice and warm.

Actually, I always cary a nit-cap and neck gator even when climbing in the middle of the summer because you never know if its going to start raining or get dark or you're going to get stuck somewhere for a time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook