RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

stickininmyeye

Nov 23, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Where Can I boulder or climb (on actual rock) in the Cities
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in the SW suburbs of Minneapolis and there's like no where to climb in a non-gym situation near me! If you guys know anywhere to boulder within the cities that would be awesome!

brianthew

Nov 23, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Where Can I boulder or climb (on actual rock) in the Cities [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello fellow Minneapolis resident. I was faced with the same problem when I came up here. Unfortunately, there are no areas I have been able to find with half decent rock in the cities. I've explored some of the areas along the banks of the Mississippi and have found several rock outcroppings, about 10 feet high, but they are all pure choss. Much of it crumbles on the slightest touch, and other places are little more than stacks of loose brick-sizes rocks. So the best climbing in the cities is probably at the gym.

Of course, there is Taylor's Falls and Redwing within a one-two hour drive, if that's within your reach. There's some bouldering at Taylors, but Red Wing is primarily a sport and trad area.

Oh well.

Edit: One of my climbing buddies who's lived up here most of his life knows a good bouldering place not that far out from the cities...I'll ask him and post when I find out where it is.

[ This Message was edited by: brianthew on 2002-11-23 13:10 ]

lightboi

Nov 25, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the front page of the metro section, of the st paul paper on friday there was photo of a cliff band 15' high and anout 100' long. There was a poluted stream running at its base. This is in a new park that they are going to open close to DT st paul. The Rock was staned green. The rock was all green, this hints that the rock quality maybe a little bit beter than most around here. Anyone ever see this?

local bouldering spots...I use some old railroad trestles in stpaul that are made of the same dolimite as in Red wing. The Bridges below minnihaha falls are also good for a afternoon. I have a vertical jones issue that gives vauge directions for some glacial erratics around savage? High bridge Climbing. Last and most least is the woodie that i have been building for 2 years and now just have a pile of wood and holds in the garage that my wife keeps threating to toss out.

esimhs99

Nov 25, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just try the sides of some of the brick buildings in the city!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook