RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Durin

Apr 10, 2009, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 7 (839 views)
Shortcut

Devils Tower Conditions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This weekend should be pretty sunny -- does anyone know if Devils Tower is too cold/full of snow, or if I should go for it? I'll only have one day, so I wanted to do Durrance.

I'm comfortable on 5.9 trad and solid on multipitch. I figure it's feasible.

mtnkid85

Apr 10, 2009, 6:41 AM
Post #2 of 7 (827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] Devils Tower Conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe Durrance is closed right now for the falcons, all the way over to ~Bon Homme I believe. Go check out there website as they have the exact closure on it.

I was planning on going this weekend and have decided to save the gas for another trip. Earlier this week I was told there was ~ 2 ft of snow, and last I checked there was a 50% chance of precip over the weekend...
You could give the ranger station down there a call and Im sure they could look out the window and tell ya whats going on.

If you do end up going post up here as I would like to hear the current climbing conditions.

Durin

Apr 10, 2009, 7:20 AM
Post #3 of 7 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnkid85] Devils Tower Conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To protect prairie falcon (Falco mexicanus) nesting sites, the National Park Service (NPS) will temporarily close climbing routes along the south face of Devils Tower beginning March 15, 2009. This closure is an annual event established under the monument's 1995 Climbing Management Plan, with authority from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. The areas to be closed include climbing routes on the south face between and including the “P.O.T.C.” and “Waterfall” (routes #206-208, #1-21 in the Devils Tower climbing handbook). The “Durrance,” “Bailey Direct,” “Bowling Alley,” and “Meadows” rappel routes are also closed. The south edge of the Tower summit is closed to climbers with the exception of the “Summit South” rappel. Alternate south-face rappel routes from the meadows are “Bon Homme” and “El Cracko,” which remain open. Climbing and rappel route closures may change based on the location and behavior of the nesting falcons.

Well, F my life.

Our trip is to the Needles, I figured a Devils Tower detour might be fun.

I'll probably call them tomorrow and see if I can push them into letting me go. I'll definitely post here again if I'm going.

chossmonkey

Apr 10, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Durance route isn't very good anyway. Do El Cracko. It gets plenty of morning sun.

The weather can be hit or miss. If you are already climbing in the Needles you won't be any worse off than at the Tower. You might even be better off. I forget what the elevations are.

You could try PMing Bigwally for up to date conditions.

therat

Apr 14, 2009, 1:18 AM
Post #5 of 7 (685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
In reply to:
To protect prairie falcon (Falco mexicanus) nesting sites, the National Park Service (NPS) will temporarily close climbing routes along the south face of Devils Tower beginning March 15, 2009. This closure is an annual event established under the monument's 1995 Climbing Management Plan, with authority from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. The areas to be closed include climbing routes on the south face between and including the “P.O.T.C.” and “Waterfall” (routes #206-208, #1-21 in the Devils Tower climbing handbook). The “Durrance,” “Bailey Direct,” “Bowling Alley,” and “Meadows” rappel routes are also closed. The south edge of the Tower summit is closed to climbers with the exception of the “Summit South” rappel. Alternate south-face rappel routes from the meadows are “Bon Homme” and “El Cracko,” which remain open. Climbing and rappel route closures may change based on the location and behavior of the nesting falcons.

Well, F my life.

Our trip is to the Needles, I figured a Devils Tower detour might be fun.

I'll probably call them tomorrow and see if I can push them into letting me go. I'll definitely post here again if I'm going.

Spent Saturday climbing in the Needles... weather was GREAT!

Durin

Apr 14, 2009, 5:01 AM
Post #6 of 7 (657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [therat] Devils Tower Conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? So did we! We didn't see anyone, and it looked like we were making fresh tracks through a bunch of it...

Was yours the car with the school of mines sticker? I had the california plates...

Went to devil's tower on sunday, it was great.

mtnkid85

Apr 14, 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
Went to devil's tower on sunday, it was great.

Everything was dry eh? Grr I should have gone...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook