RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

kurtquinn

Apr 27, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 22 (8707 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Los Angeles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm moving from Fort Collins, CO to L.A. There must be a big climbing community out there, right?. What gyms suck? Where do all the big dogs train? Best bouldering close by?

no_email_entered

Apr 27, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #2 of 22 (8698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kurtquinn] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kurtquinn wrote:
I'm moving from Fort Collins, CO to L.A. There must be a big climbing community out there, right?. What gyms suck? Where do all the big dogs train? Best bouldering close by?

i'm at rockreation---

---let's man up

styndall

Apr 27, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 22 (8676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm moving out for the summer on May 8th. Rockreation looks a touch spendy if you're not buying it by the year, so I may stick to visiting stony point once or twice a week.

snoopy138

Apr 27, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 22 (8664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
I'm moving out for the summer on May 8th. Rockreation looks a touch spendy if you're not buying it by the year, so I may stick to visiting stony point once or twice a week.

where in LA will you be? there are a few gyms ... rockreation in west LA, BCR down in Manhattan Beach, some place I'm not too famiiliar with in Arcadia, Boulderdash in Thousand Oaks.

Over the summer, you'll want to go to stoney in the evening ... Chatsworth gets really hot.

styndall

Apr 27, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 22 (8658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

where in LA will you be? there are a few gyms ... rockreation in west LA, BCR down in Manhattan Beach, some place I'm not too famiiliar with in Arcadia, Boulderdash in Thousand Oaks.

Over the summer, you'll want to go to stoney in the evening ... Chatsworth gets really hot.

I'll be in Palms, near the intersection of Sepulveda and Venice. I don't know where that puts me relative to climbing areas.

chanceboarder

Apr 27, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #6 of 22 (8657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
kurtquinn wrote:

[image]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk218/no_email_entered/rockman.jpg[/image]

i'm at rockreation---

---let's man up
I saw that guy crushing 5.6 the other day.

I'm also at Rockreation. It's a gym, what more can you say. If you want better then climb outside. Not saying that others in the area are worse, just that it's all pulling plastic. Find the one closest to where you'll be living, I can count like 7 or 8 off of the top of my head between LA and OC.

As for moving from Fort Collins to LA I'd want to question your sanity.Laugh

chanceboarder

Apr 27, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #7 of 22 (8653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

I'll be in Palms, near the intersection of Sepulveda and Venice. I don't know where that puts me relative to climbing areas.
Rockreation LA is closest to you then. 10-15 minute drive.

jt512

Apr 27, 2009, 6:35 PM
Post #8 of 22 (8644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chanceboarder wrote:
styndall wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

That Rockreation sucks, but it'll be close to you.

Jay

jt512

Apr 27, 2009, 6:37 PM
Post #9 of 22 (8639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
kurtquinn wrote:

Do not question my authoritah!

Jay

snoopy138

Apr 27, 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #10 of 22 (8613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

you'll have to head up the 405 to the 118 to get to stoney point, which will be a 45+ minute drive in the evening on weekdays. but a much quicker drive back.

rschap

Apr 28, 2009, 2:38 AM
Post #11 of 22 (8580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m sorry to hear that. I moved from Fullerton CA to Grand Junction CO and you couldn’t get me to move back to LA for anything.

Not anywhere near you but Rock City in Anaheim Hills is pretty good, good community there. I stayed away from that side of LA so I can’t help you there. Outdoor climbing? I do have to say I miss the outdoor climbing in So Cal, you’re not going to do any after work during the week though.

styndall

Apr 28, 2009, 2:55 AM
Post #12 of 22 (8569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chanceboarder wrote:
styndall wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

Jay

I'm in Michigan now. Anything vertical is an improvement.

jt512

Apr 28, 2009, 2:56 AM
Post #13 of 22 (8568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Moving to Los Angeles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
I’m sorry to hear that. I moved from Fullerton CA to Grand Junction CO and you couldn’t get me to move back to LA for anything.

Yeah, well, I moved from Fullerton to L.A., and you couldn't get me to move back to Fullerton for anything.

Jay

jt512

Apr 28, 2009, 2:57 AM
Post #14 of 22 (8567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
jt512 wrote:
chanceboarder wrote:
styndall wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

Jay

I'm in Michigan now. Anything vertical is an improvement.

Well, Rockreation is better than that gym in Pontiac by an order an of magnitude.

PigsOnDrugs

May 4, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #15 of 22 (8472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want socals biggest indoor gym hangar 18 is about 40ish miles from L.A really awsome

styndall

May 14, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #16 of 22 (8339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym in Ann Arbor wasn't so bad.

Anyway, I'm out here now, and I'm writing software on my own schedule. If anyone is interested in climbing, catch me via PM here or at stephen.tyndall@gmail.com (email or gmail chat) - be warned, I'm coming off a year of grad school in Michigan and am therefore weak as all hell.

I'm planning on driving up to Tick Rock to scout it out a little today. I was thinking about Stoney, but I'm driving my girlfriend's soft-top, and I don't want to have to replace the windows or, heaven forbid, the convertible top. I've lost windows and gear at urban-ish crags before, and I'm reading that Stoney has a pretty serious problem. Should I be concerned about break-ins at Tick Rock as well?

snoopy138

May 14, 2009, 7:08 PM
Post #17 of 22 (8327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
Should I be concerned about break-ins at Tick Rock as well?

not really. it's super-close to the road, and in Pacific Palisades, a rather nice area. I've never heard of any problems.

btw, I wouldn't mind doing a morning at tick rock this weekend if you don't have any better climbing plans.

jt512

May 14, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #18 of 22 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

not really. it's super-close to the road, and in Pacific Palisades, a rather nice area. I've never heard of any problems.

btw, I wouldn't mind doing a morning at tick rock this weekend if you don't have any better climbing plans.

Isn't Tick Rock too hot in the morning this time of year? I've always gone there after 2 pm, when it goes into the shade.

Jay

snoopy138

May 14, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #19 of 22 (8300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
styndall wrote:

Isn't Tick Rock too hot in the morning this time of year? I've always gone there after 2 pm, when it goes into the shade.

Jay

nah, it's so close to the ocean that it's never really too hot. temps have been fairly nice in brentwood this week. and going in the afternoon would ruin my plan of spending a couple hours there in the morning, eating lunch, and working all day.

chanceboarder

May 14, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #20 of 22 (8292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
I'm planning on driving up to Tick Rock to scout it out a little today. I was thinking about Stoney, but I'm driving my girlfriend's soft-top, and I don't want to have to replace the windows or, heaven forbid, the convertible top. I've lost windows and gear at urban-ish crags before, and I'm reading that Stoney has a pretty serious problem. Should I be concerned about break-ins at Tick Rock as well?
Just take everything of value out of the car when you go to Stoney and just put the top down so they don't have to bother breaking in. Laugh

cloudbreak

May 14, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #21 of 22 (8285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kurtquinn wrote:
I'm moving from Fort Collins, CO to L.A.

...I'm sorry.

Bryan2102

May 20, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #22 of 22 (8158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm at rockreation, nice gym, not too crowded during the day, nights are awful. Very friendly people. I'm a beginner though, so...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook