Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

builttospill

May 19, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2791 views)
Shortcut

How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

During a typical climbing day (whether that is a full day or after work for you), how much climbing do you get in? I'm mostly interested in gear leading, expressed in meters or feet. (i.e. 3 pitches at Vedauwoo might equal 1 pitch elsewhere).

So.....post up how much climbing you get in during a typical day at the crag (not some atypical alpine climb, wall, or birthday challenge where you climbed your age in pitches). Then, post up how long you might spend climbing on a "typical day" (3 hours after work, 10 hours on a Saturday)?

Approach time counts, but drive time does not.

Finally, do you lead all the pitches you climb, about half, or none at all?

I'll start. I lead a little over half the pitches I climb. A typical "climbing day" is 3 hours, and I climb an average of 4 pitches each time.

TJGoSurf

May 19, 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on the route. I'm not gonna lead something thats way out of my skill level. But I will lead everything I can. I don't really like messing around waiting to climb.

esoteric1

May 19, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TJGoSurf] How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

almost none.

kennoyce

May 19, 2009, 9:58 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

3 hours, I lead everything, between 2 and 4 pitches depending on difficulty.

AltitudeJunkie

May 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It typically varies depending on my partner. I aim for 12 pitches in a 9 hour day. 6 hours of climbing and 3 hours for drive time/approaches.(My most frequented area is the red where you have to drive from crag to crag which can be a 15-20 minute drive, plus another 10-15 for the approach.) People have said thats a lot, but its only 2 pitches an hour, 6 pitches every three hours. which only amounts to a 6 hour climbing day. I like to be at the crag at 8am, and not come back till 5 or 6. have somethin' to eat, and relax for the rest of the evening. if i only get 8 pitches in but learn a lot, or meet my goals then im just as satisfied.

rockandlice

May 19, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

builttospill wrote:
During a typical climbing day (whether that is a full day or after work for you), how much climbing do you get in? I'm mostly interested in gear leading, expressed in meters or feet. (i.e. 3 pitches at Vedauwoo might equal 1 pitch elsewhere)..................

I'll start. I lead a little over half the pitches I climb. A typical "climbing day" is 3 hours, and I climb an average of 4 pitches each time.

Could you please express this value in meters or feet sir? Angelic

grampacharlie

May 19, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope soloing I'll put down 1,000 to 1,200 feet of climbing in about 6 hours, lead, and followed all by me.

Cragging with folks, it depends on how motivated they are. I'll swap leads and usually get in between 5 and 8 hundred feet in a day.
Sometimes, I'll get three climbs in three hours.

Best day cragging was 17 pitches, 50-100 feet long,

builttospill

May 20, 2009, 4:12 AM
Post #8 of 15 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice wrote:
builttospill wrote:
During a typical climbing day (whether that is a full day or after work for you), how much climbing do you get in? I'm mostly interested in gear leading, expressed in meters or feet. (i.e. 3 pitches at Vedauwoo might equal 1 pitch elsewhere)..................

Could you please express this value in meters or feet sir? Angelic

Yeah, I realized I did that as I was driving to the crag. Apparently I'm too stupid to follow my own arbitrary rules.

I climb mostly long pitches, sometimes running them together. Not always though. I'd call 4 pitches ~180m typically.

(This post was edited by builttospill on May 20, 2009, 4:13 AM)

jmeizis

May 20, 2009, 4:39 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Average is probably about 8-10 pitches on a regular full day, about 1000 ft.

An after work day might get 4-6 pitches, so around 500 ft.

My best was in The Black, two grade III's in a day. Both were 8-10 pitches. So somewhere around 2000 ft. That wasn't including seperate 1000 ft. descents and some scrambling to get all the way out. We were cruising pretty casually where we pitched it out. Simul-climbing saves you a lot of time on three or four hundred feet of easy ground.

coolcat83

May 20, 2009, 4:47 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about typical. most recently I was at the Gunks (I frequent the gunks for multipitch, otherwise it's single pitch around new jersey for the most part) yesterday in a party of 3, we did around 400feet i believe, 5 pitches, split them up 2/2/1, I lead two. I'd say that's about typical (there are exceptions all the time, a typical day is hard to land on), and that'll take maybe 3-4 hours usually at a leisurely pace. it was a little cold so we took our time bs'd a lot and made it an all day thing.

evanwish

May 20, 2009, 5:09 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my typical day is be on the rock no later than an hour after sunrise and finish climbing when it starts getting dark.

a few years ago my partner had to lead all 7 pitches (i couldn't lead, at the time still recovering from a broken ankle), we started super late at about noon and he was climbing super slow (he was hung over) so we ended up topping out at 9pm that was not very typical

therat

May 20, 2009, 5:02 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

builttospill wrote:
During a typical climbing day (whether that is a full day or after work for you), how much climbing do you get in?

One nite last week, I left town at 4PM with an EXCELLENT rope mate and drove to Devils Tower (1 hour), spend 10 minutes visiting with "Big Wally" in the parking lot, did the West Face Approach, did a 6, 7, 9-, 9+ and a 10d, went down to "Big Wally's" place and played the piano for a half hour... and made it back home just before 10PM.

THAT'S the POWER OF THE TOWER!

fresh

May 20, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depending on the crag, but I guess I aim for 6-7 pitches (100-120 feet/30-35m each) in an 8 hour day. lately I've been climbing with my gf and doing all the leading.

cchas

May 20, 2009, 8:40 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] How much climbing do you get in during a day at the crag? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on if its an endurance day or a day to climb hard.

In the summer I usually climb from 7:30am to around 2 or 3pm. If its an endurance day I'll get 15-25 pitches in (all on lead) (70-90ft a pitch) .

If its a day to work (or onsite) projects maybe as few as 8 pitches, and if they are really hard projects (for me since its all relative) as few as 3 pitches.

mar_leclerc

May 26, 2009, 5:34 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually get in 12-15 pitches in a fairly chill Saturday of climbing. I have done twice that in the alpine though...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook