Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Some of your favourite route experiances.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

sungam

Jul 9, 2009, 5:43 AM
Post #1 of 15 (765 views)
Shortcut

Some of your favourite route experiances.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awrity, fowkz.
Just wondering what some people's favorite route experiences are. By that I mean not only the route, but also what went down during the time you did that route.
For instance - the route to set up the rope swing at looking glass rock kinda sucks. It's a pitch of easy slab climbing, then a pitch of easy slab walking.
But make it a midnight climb at full moon with great friends and it becomes great - add a 50m rope you thought was 60, almost resulting in a ridiculous leader fall on 5.4 slab, followed by cyote howling blocking communications, and it becomes a fucking awesome experiance. Oh, did I mention we had one belay plate between 2, the other dude was a noob and could barely belay, and then the other dude dropped the atc at the belay so I had to give him a lesson on how to munter belay in the dark, by dying headlamp, way off the deck?
Fucking first class night.
The swing was the shiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttt.

flippy04

Jul 9, 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #2 of 15 (711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took two girls to Potrero Chico a few years back. I was seeing one and the other was her best friend and room mate. Anyway, both had climbed with me before a few times at Rimers Ranch in Austin. Our first night down in Potrero was a disaster. The girls were pissed at me for getting wasted. So the next morning, we eat and don't talk very much and get on the rock about noon. I take them up their first multi pitch, Snott Girlz (I lead all pitches), and they're a mess. They drop gear as they clean, get freaked out by the exposure 3/4 of the way up, and generally a going fucking nuts in a real bad way. So I'm like let's bail...but they're dead set on seeing it through. So I carry them the rest of the way up. It takes us all fucking day. and now we're rapping in the dark...again it's a fucking train wreck. when we get back to the deck, neither one of the girls says shit. We get back to camp, shower, and start eating and getting twisted on booze and the like. To my surprise], they're totally stoked. They're like holy shit that was the best thing they ever done. And they're going on about how they've never felt so alive, they're so thankful for me dragging them up the rock, etc., etc. So I'm extremely happy that they're happy and that I've locked in a love for the sport by these two chicks...mission accomplished, right. No, the kicker is that night changed our relationship. They brought me in on their little love secret and for the next 8 or so months it was nothing but climbing and menasha twa time. Now that is just about my favorite route experience...FUCKIN' A.

coolcat83

Jul 9, 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #3 of 15 (696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flippy04] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flippy04 wrote:
I took two girls to Potrero Chico a few years back. I was seeing one and the other was her best friend and room mate. Anyway, both had climbed with me before a few times at Rimers Ranch in Austin. Our first night down in Potrero was a disaster. The girls were pissed at me for getting wasted. So the next morning, we eat and don't talk very much and get on the rock about noon. I take them up their first multi pitch, Snott Girlz (I lead all pitches), and they're a mess. They drop gear as they clean, get freaked out by the exposure 3/4 of the way up, and generally a going fucking nuts in a real bad way. So I'm like let's bail...but they're dead set on seeing it through. So I carry them the rest of the way up. It takes us all fucking day. and now we're rapping in the dark...again it's a fucking train wreck. when we get back to the deck, neither one of the girls says shit. We get back to camp, shower, and start eating and getting twisted on booze and the like. To my surprise], they're totally stoked. They're like holy shit that was the best thing they ever done. And they're going on about how they've never felt so alive, they're so thankful for me dragging them up the rock, etc., etc. So I'm extremely happy that they're happy and that I've locked in a love for the sport by these two chicks...mission accomplished, right. No, the kicker is that night changed our relationship. They brought me in on their little love secret and for the next 8 or so months it was nothing but climbing and menasha twa time. Now that is just about my favorite route experience...FUCKIN' A.

That's the closest thing to erotic climbing literature I've ever read.

flippy04

Jul 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #4 of 15 (693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coolcat83 wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

That's the closest thing to erotic climbing literature I've ever read.

The best stories are the ones that are true...you can't make this shit up, brotha. Word!

brownie710

Jul 9, 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #5 of 15 (693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we should sing songs about this man around the campfire

mounter

Jul 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #6 of 15 (684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very nice. I've never had much luck combining the women I've seen and climbing. So cudos to you.

One of my favorite route experiences also happened in the potrero area. Half moon buttresswas the route. Had a hard time finding the place, it was hot balls in the middles of summer in the Mexican desert, we cut a cord on the sharp choss on the route (did have a second rope), and I had a good size piece of choss fall on my head. We did lower into the half moon and do the tyrolean. We also came out with our lives still intact...all and all a real good day.

knieveltech

Jul 9, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #7 of 15 (659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got a chance to climb seal rock in the flatirons with Petsfed last spring. After spending days mouldering in my tent or on his couch (weather wasn't cooperating) getting outside was awesome. We where the only party anywhere on seal rock that day. Probably for the best, we'd gotten on this PowerThirst kick and the two of us sounded like some macho gay infomercial at the belays. Did the route, watched the sun set from the top, did the seriously attention-grabbing rappel at the end, and hiked out as the moon was coming up. Fun climbing in a great setting with one of the best (and most laid back) climbing partners I've had.

Had an opportunity to climb the daddy in Linville Gorge with rsmillbern. I'll never forget the day or the route. My first "real" multi-pitch. I was sketching pretty hard in places but Scott and Christina where totally cool and patient with that. I remember being totally blown away by the quality of the views, the exposure, and totally humbled and grateful that they had been willing to let me tag along.

Carnage

Jul 9, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #8 of 15 (653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flippy04 wrote:

this is the best story. no one else's will be better. dont even try

fxgranite

Jul 9, 2009, 3:24 PM
Post #9 of 15 (634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

Seriously. wtf flippy. you could have waited a little bit before trumping everyone. Now even my miget clown experience is lame so I won't bother telling it.

flippy04

Jul 9, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #10 of 15 (624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
Carnage wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

Seriously. wtf flippy. you could have waited a little bit before trumping everyone. Now even my miget clown experience is lame so I won't bother telling it.

Hate the game, not the player.

Actually, (althogh I still climb alot) now I'm 30, married, and have a "real job". With that in mind, your midget clown story has the trump...shit!

knieveltech

Jul 9, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 15 (606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

flippy04 wrote:

Actually, (althogh I still climb alot) now I'm 30, married, and have a "real job". With that in mind, your midget clown story has the trump...shit!

I call bullshit on the threesome. Your claims are useless without pictures.

flippy04

Jul 9, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #12 of 15 (599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

HA! My personal rules are: never takes pictures as they WILL be used against you in a court of law and always change the names to protect the guilty.

(This post was edited by flippy04 on Jul 9, 2009, 4:20 PM)

Carnage

Jul 9, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #13 of 15 (600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

i second this

climbingnoise

Jul 9, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #14 of 15 (592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
flippy04 wrote:

I second this.

sungam

Jul 9, 2009, 5:05 PM
Post #15 of 15 (577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] Some of your favourite route experiances. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
we should sing songs about this man around the campfire
Ὅμηρος PM'd!!!!!!!

For those of you who are non-greek speakers, that would be Homer, author of other tales (slightly less awesome then this one) such as the Odyssey and the Iliad.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook