RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

dumbsocrates

Jul 15, 2009, 9:28 PM
Post #1 of 24 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Mountaineering Info, Please
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So here's my question (which probably should be in the clueless-and-confused section): I want to start doing some of Colorado's 14ers and other mountaineering routes as technical climbs. Mind you, I'm just now beginning my research on this... so I feel in no way mentally or physically prepared. But I've done a few 14ers and can climb about 5.10 sport and 5.8 trad on a good day, so I'm humbly thinking of mountaineering.

For example, to start with the Inwood Arete on Quandary is an easy 5.4, then there is the Ellingwood Arete on Crestone Needle (a solid 5.7 from what I understand) and the Petit Grepon in RMNP.

So onto my question, which is multifold:

1. First and foremost, I need a good mountaineering/ alpine climbing book (Freedom of the Hills doesn't cover enough specifics, such as length and size of rope(s)).

2. Alas, rope: length, size, two or one? Twin ropes or double ropes?

3. Shoes: for winter ice/ couloir climbing, mountaineering boots obviously (and since I'm not doing anything outrageous yet, my Asolo's will do, since they take crampons) but for the summer? Do I hike in in my hiking boots and switch to rock shoes once I start the technical part of the climb? Will approach shoes be enough for both the hike and the climb?

4. Considering we're talking about climbing at relatively high altitudes here, time is of great importance: how much time should I estimate for climbing, say, 500 feet of a 5.4.

Have I mentioned that I need a really good book? :)

Thanks to anybody who's got some experience in this and is willing to share their hard-earned knowledge.

oh, yeah... and one more:

5. Has anyone done it... Inwood Arete on Quandary? Is it a good choice for a first tech route?

(This post was edited by dumbsocrates on Jul 15, 2009, 10:13 PM)

nilcarborundum

Jul 15, 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #2 of 24 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Mountaineering Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dumbsocrates wrote:
So here's my question (which probably should be in the clueless-and-confused section): I want to start doing some of Colorado's 14ers and other mountaineering routes as technical climbs. Mind you, I'm just now beginning my research on this... so I feel in no way mentally or physically prepared. But I've done a few 14ers and can climb about 5.10 sport and 5.8 trad on a good day, so I'm humbly thinking of mountaineering.

For example, to start with the Inwood Arete on Quandary is an easy 5.4, then there is the Ellingwood Arete on Crestone Needle (a solid 5.7 from what I understand) and the Petit Grepon in RMNP.

So onto my question, which is multifold:

1. First and foremost, I need a good mountaineering/ alpine climbing book (mind you, Freedom of the Hills doesn't cover enough specifics, such as length and size of rope(s)).

2. Alas, rope: length, size, two or one? Twin ropes or double ropes?

3. Shoes: for winter ice/ couloir climbing, mountaineering boots obviously (and since I'm not doing anything outrageous yet, my Asolo's will do, since they take crampons) but for the summer? Do I hike in in my hiking boots and switch to rock shoes ones I start the technical part of the climb? Will approach shoes be enough for both the hike and the climb?

4. Considering we're talking about climbing at relatively high altitudes here, time is of great importance: how much time should I estimate for climbing, say, 500 feet of a 5.4.

Have I mentioned that I need a really good book? :)

Thanks to anybody who's got some experience in this and is willing to share their hard-earned knowledge.

If you're specifically interested in the CO 14'ers, I'd recommend the Gerry Roach guide. Also, there's a plethora of websites dedicated to climbing 14'ers.

A lot of what you're asking will come down to personal preference. Shoes: I climb 5.easy in sticky tennies and 5.hard in my climbing shoes. I've been climbing mostly on twins, but sometimes that varies depending on the availability/difficulty of the descent.

And it will take you 1 hour and 37 minutes to climb 500 feet of 5.4.

I'd suggest one of two options: Find someone experienced with alpine climbing and go out with them, or pick a route that is below your level with an easy option to bail and go have fun. I looked for climbs with fixed belay stations for my first alpine climbs so I knew that rapping the route was always an option, just as a safety net.

dumbsocrates

Jul 15, 2009, 9:58 PM
Post #3 of 24 (4550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilcarborundum] Mountaineering Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilcarborundum wrote:
If you're specifically interested in the CO 14'ers, I'd recommend the Gerry Roach guide.

I'm not that big of a newb :)

nilcarborundum wrote:
Also, there's a plethora of websites dedicated to climbing 14'ers.

Yes, and 14ers.com is fantastic, but I want more technical info and, at the same time, more general info.

nilcarborundum wrote:
A lot of what you're asking will come down to personal preference. Shoes: I climb 5.easy in sticky tennies and 5.hard in my climbing shoes. I've been climbing mostly on twins, but sometimes that varies depending on the availability/difficulty of the descent.

Although I do easy climbs in my hiking boots, on a longer route with more exposure, I think I'll take rock shoes... hell, why not... they're light enough and will initially give me more ooumph.

nilcarborundum wrote:
And it will take you 1 hour and 37 minutes to climb 500 feet of 5.4.

Rope length?

nilcarborundum wrote:
I'd suggest one of two options: Find someone experienced with alpine climbing and go out with them, or pick a route that is below your level with an easy option to bail and go have fun. I looked for climbs with fixed belay stations for my first alpine climbs so I knew that rapping the route was always an option, just as a safety net.

Sadly, the people who do 14ers don't want to do tech routes, and the people who are hard-core rock climbers don't care for walking up to the crag for miles. Needless to say, finding experienced partners is a bit difficult. So I chose, option B: this is why I'm looking at Quandary's North Face first :)

Alpine07

Jul 15, 2009, 9:59 PM
Post #4 of 24 (4547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of those questions are about gear choices. Not many books cover specific gear. I would recommend using a book like "Freedom," along with others, for technical skills. And the internet for gear research. Good books: "Alpine Climbing, techniques to take you higher," Extreme Alpinism, and Ice and Mixed climbing. Those have taken me pretty far, along with Freedom. There is a ridiculous amount of info on the web, but you just need to know how to sort through the crap to find the good stuff.

Edit to add: Rope length is no set thing. So much depends on the route. You could be using anything from 30ft of 8mm, to 70m twins. It all depends on what you are doing. Once you learn more, you should be able to figure out what rope for what route...

(This post was edited by Alpine07 on Jul 15, 2009, 10:03 PM)

dumbsocrates

Jul 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #5 of 24 (4538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpine07] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine07 wrote:
Most of those questions are about gear choices. Not many books cover specific gear. I would recommend using a book like "Freedom," along with others, for technical skills. And the internet for gear research. Good books: "Alpine Climbing, techniques to take you higher," Extreme Alpinism, and Ice and Mixed climbing. Those have taken me pretty far, along with Freedom. There is a ridiculous amount of info on the web, but you just need to know how to sort through the crap to find the good stuff.

Thanks, this helps. I'm just surprised that there isn't one good expedition/ alpine/ mixed... whatever term you want to use for this kind of mountaineering endeavor... book out there. 'Cause, believe me, I've looked. Most of the lit on this encompasses personal accounts... and that's entertaining but not instructional enough. But I think I'm too late starting this in order to write one :( I'm sure it will turn out to be the same story as with the cool new belay glasses that Bachar swears by: I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST, DAMN IT!!!! Smile

Alpine07

Jul 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #6 of 24 (4531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dumbsocrates wrote:
Alpine07 wrote:

Thanks, this helps. I'm just surprised that there isn't one good expedition/ alpine/ mixed... whatever term you want to use for this kind of mountaineering endeavor... book out there. 'Cause, believe me, I've looked. Most of the lit on this encompasses personal accounts... and that's entertaining but not instructional enough. But I think I'm too late starting this in order to write one :( I'm sure it will turn out to be the same story as with the cool new belay glasses that Bachar swears by: I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST, DAMN IT!!!! Smile

I would say that Freedom of the Hills comes the closest to that. Though it can be a bit lacking on certain subjects...

If you have not seen this site yet it is definitely worth checking out: http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/index.htm

builttospill

Jul 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #7 of 24 (4497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not climbed any of the routes you mentioned, or any in Colorado, but I've climbed a lot of similar routes in the Tetons and in Utah. My two cents:

On ropes.....use what you have for now. Do you have a relatively lightweight 60m single (i.e. maybe 9.7 or less mm)? Use that for your first route or two. If you like it, invest in a thin single. I have a 9.2mm I like, but there are others out there.

I own several ropes, but rarely use doubles, twins or anything else. Mostly I climb on a single. If I need double length rappels, I take a tag line or a light static rope that is 60m. If the climbing is REALLY easy, I climb on a 30m twin rope that is 8mm. You can even get two of those if you want a set of twins for really easy climbing. But a single will do for now.

You'll want a 60m rope. Anything less is too short. I don't climb on 70's.....they're nice sometimes, but they're a lot of weight. Eventually I might.

In summer, for boots, do whatever is comfortable. Some people love their boots and hike and climb in them. I hate my boots, so if I have to have them for a couloir, I'll consider hiking in running shoes and carrying light boots. Your call. You'll learn this as you go.....

Some climbs you can do in approach shoes. IT's very personal. I don't climb technical rock in approach shoes, but I will climb 4th class and low 5th class scrambly routes in them. Take them to the crag and lead in them a bit (if you've got em) and see how they feel. If you don't own any yet, I'd hold off til you see what kind of climbing you want to do. They're fairly specialized and somewhat expensive, I think, for beginners.

500 feet of 5.4? Depends on your fitness level. I would say anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. But faster is better......

The best thing to do is go do an easy climb. Then do another. Then do another that's a little harder if those felt easy. Soon you'll be dispensing advice on the internet. Wink

dumbsocrates

Jul 15, 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #8 of 24 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I have a 60 meter 10+ mm and a 70 meter 9+ so that should do... Rock shoes freshly resoled :) and a brand new pair of hiking boots that are still sitting on the shelf in the shop ('cause I don't have the money to buy them until I get paid at the end of this month). And yes, I was going to lead some easy multi-pitch trad climbs in Boulder Canyon first, like Castle Rock and the Dome, before I venture into the high Rockies, just so I can get confident.

Here's a related question though: on what basis do you decide on doing a climb with a single, twin or double rope? Do you base your decision on what others use on a particular climb? If not, what's your method of assessment?

herbertpowell

Jul 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #9 of 24 (4475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) FOTH, Extreme Alpinism, Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take you Higher (probably the best in your case), Ice & Mixed Climbing: Modern Technique, Medicine for Mountaineering

Add in a couple books about anchors, some guides, maybe a book on land nav, and you should be set.

2) No easy answer. For simplicity sake I prefer a dry single at 60m. But, routes dictate rope selection quite a bit. Keep in mind rappels.

3) It depends. Try climbing some route near you in plastic boots. See how it limits you to wear footwear like that. Try it in rock shoes, try it in approach shoes, try it in some of the light weight leather mountaineering boots. You'll get a feel for what you can do in various types of footwear, then you can choose based on the routes.

4) I once saw a SAR chart that listed trail and off-trail speeds for various "types" of lost people. . .beginners, intermediates, and expert hikers. . . experts were claimed to do up to 4 mph on trails. Some of the "expert" hikers I know are quite old and move incredibly slowly. Of course, they are expert enough to not get lost. . .

In short, I doubt anyone can give you a good answer on speeds. Depends on your fitness, are you roped or not, are you belaying or not, how is the weather, how is the altitude affecting you, etc.

Best advice I have is just to spend as much time in the mountains as possible, and you'll start to get a feel for it. Keeping a notebook is a good idea too.

Partner epoch

Jul 15, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #10 of 24 (4464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dumbsocrates wrote:
Here's a related question though: on what basis do you decide on doing a climb with a single, twin or double rope? Do you base your decision on what others use on a particular climb? If not, what's your method of assessment?

You'll want to take into consideration the objective, subjective, and environmental hazards. What is the hardest pitch of the route? Having lived at sea-level for some years, now, this is an important thing that I consider when it comes to which rope I decide to use.

For a person who is living at altitude and is acclimated to somewhere around 6,000 feet, it would be different than me.

Questions that I ask in climb preparation are (for example):
    How long is the approach?
    How much elevation gain and loss is involved with the approach/descent?
    Are you walking off or reversing the route abseiling?
    Remember that unnecessary weight = added time and compounds exhaustion.
    Car-to-car, or planned multi-day enroute or on route?
    Time of year - which coincides with average ambient temperature.
    Recent weather patterns.
    Forecasted weather patterns - to include multi-day forecasts and weather monitoring en-route to the route.
Sometimes the rope decision is made at the trail head for me.
    Route hazards - prone to rockfall?
    What aspect of the mountain is the climb on?
    How does the weather affect the area; do storms come in from the N, S, E, or W?
    How does inclement weather affect me? My partner?
    What grade can I comfortably onsight at home at the time of the climb?
    ------Add a perceived grade at elevations above 12,000 feet (i.e. 5.8 at 13,000 feet feels like a 5.9/5.9+ at 4,000 feet).
    What does my partner climb?

Somewhat of a comprehensive list, but as you do research on the route you want to do, you will be able to make the decision about what rope to use. If anything, you'll learn from your mistakes. If the weather may be questionable, doing 60m raps and leaving less gear is a better option IMHO. Though, most (98%) of the alpine routes I've encountered do not have fixed belay stations. I've never climbed in CO either, so my experience and opinion doesn't reflect a knowledge of the area.

gimmeslack

Jul 15, 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #11 of 24 (4462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently picked up "The Mountaineering Handbook" by Craig Connally. It seems to go beyond Freedom of the Hills and in some cases contradicts "traditional" methods. Also more specific to alpine than FOTH.

Partner epoch

Jul 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #12 of 24 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gimmeslack] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember that FOTH is not only a highly informative handbook, it is also the TEXTBOOK for The Mountaineers and their ventures in the NW and their schools. It has tons of information, but at the same time there's plenty of information that is missed as it is taught in conjunction with the book. Things that you only get from being shown from an experienced person.

dumbsocrates

Jul 16, 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #13 of 24 (4393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Remember that FOTH is not only a highly informative handbook, it is also the TEXTBOOK for The Mountaineers and their ventures in the NW and their schools. It has tons of information, but at the same time there's plenty of information that is missed as it is taught in conjunction with the book. Things that you only get from being shown from an experienced person.

Indeed, no amount of theoretical knowledge can equal practical experience; HOWEVER, that piece of information is not only ineffectual to me at this point but also quite discouraging Unsure Again, in the already relatively small world of rock climbers and conquerors of high peaks, there seems to exist a very small overlap. This statistic, of course, suggests that finding competent partners is challenging. Add to that my lifetime membership to the fair sex, and divide that data by eight. As you can imagine, the complications increase: some members of the male clan have trouble understanding that "partner" in mountaineering or rock climbing doesn't precipitate "partner" in bed. Not that I have little faith in the reciprocal gender, but it is a valid issue.

So what does an aspiring mountaineer do? Well, I could take a "class" from an "experienced guiding service" such as the Colorado Mountain Club; however, it is not only expensive but also impersonal: yes, I can hire people to teach me a thing or two about class 5 routes on 14ers (I am always skeptical about people who teach professionally: you know what they say, "if you can't DO, TEACH"... forgive my cynicism), but at the end of the course, I'll be left with heightened enthusiasm and no partner!

I'll take suggestions now, please...

builttospill

Jul 16, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #14 of 24 (4343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two things.

1. Ropes: I decide what rope to take depending on the difficulty of the climbing, the length of the climbing, the possibility of needing to retreat by rappelling, and the walkoff, as well as the length of the approach.

Long routes where I might need to rap off to retreat, I take a rope and a tag line to rap, or doubles/twins.

Hard routes where the above is not true? A single rope.

Routes with a required 2-rope rappel? Doubles or a single and a tag line (this is just personal preference between the two). These are becoming more rare these days it seems. Even the Grand Teton--which everyone claims requires two ropes to get off--has a single rope rappel rigged.

Routes with lots of loose rock? Consider twins/halfs for added safety from having the rope cut.

If the climbing is easy, I'll sometimes climb on a single strand of a half rope. This is not recommended by most, but it works. Don't do it now. Just keep it in the back of your head for later.

If the climbing sections are really short with lots of scrambling in between, consider a 60m half or twin rope, doubled over for the hard parts (giving you 30m pitches). Then stretch it out for the easier parts, or just unrope.

Okay, that said....finding a partner is the harder part.

Lots of options online. Summitpost.org is a good one, mountainproject may be your friend as well. I don't know much about climb14ers or the Colorado-specific sites, but they'll work too I'm sure. Post plans, or look for invites. Once you find a partner or two, your network will start to expand quickly by climbing with their friends/partners at the crag and throwing climbing ideas around.

Post up plans or a list of routes you're interested in (even if some of them are only marginally interesting to you--as long as they're all within your ability level), and then take whatever partners come out of the woodwork. Exercise some caution about getting on REAL routes until you've climbed with someone a few times before. A crag route or two, and maybe an easy scramble or snow climb in the mountains is probably best before you get on some hairy route, but to each their own.

Several things I've learned along the way.....

1. You won't usually get to climb what you want a lot of the time. Frequently I can't find partners for the projects that REALLY excite me, but I'm usually willing to go climb with my main partner on whatever he wants, because I like climbing with him and it usually ends up being really good. Being non-choosy in routes is important.

2. Be flexible, if possible. It's a lot easier to find partners if you can go any Saturday, or any day during the week or something, rather than "this Tuesday, or next Thursday and nothing else."

3. When you find a good partner, who knows what they're doing and you like them, stick with them. Don't flake out, don't show up late habitually, be helpful with the team duties (i.e. carrying rope or rack, flaking rope while they rack up, driving to the trailhead, etc). In fact, at first, it's probably better to error on the side of contributing too much to the partnership. Better to keep them than have to go through the trouble of finding someone again.

Being a female climber is probably harder--I wouldn't know. But there are a lot of women in Colorado and elsewhere who climb in the mountains, and not all men are as chauvinistic as you think. If you're ever in Utah or Wyoming, let me know and I'll climb with you.

edm

Jul 16, 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #15 of 24 (4321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't discount the CMC classes quite so quickly. They may be a very good way to get a lot of the info you're looking for. First of all, the CMC is not an "experienced guide service" and the instructors are not professionals. All of the classes are taught by volunteers who are members of the club. This can be good and bad - it's good because these people are doing it because they love what they're doing, and the classes are much cheaper than through places like the very similarly named Colorado Mountain School, which is in fact a guide service. Bad because the instrutors have no certification other than within the CMC organization, but in my experience the instructors have been very competent. Also, the classes can be quite personal - the last one I took had three instructors and three students, so there was a lot of one-on-one. And finally, the people who join the CMC and take the classes are often just like you - itching to get out in the mountains, and often looking for other people to go with. So the classes can be a good place to find partners.

I'm curious - what's your experience level with regard to 3rd and 4th class routes in the mountains? A big part of doing technical alpine routes is route finding, and that is a skill you can hone before you break out the rope and the gear.

herbertpowell

Jul 17, 2009, 1:28 AM
Post #16 of 24 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm wondering if you aren't just over-thinking this. Seriously, spend time in the mountains. Go every free weekend you can. Learn the weather patterns in the mountains near you. Learn what gear the rock takes well. Learn what you need to be comfortable overnight. Learn how to navigate. Practice various rescue and self rescue techniques.

Grab whatever partners you have that are willing to give this a try. Maybe they only go once. Maybe they'll try again.

But yes, I do agree with you. Finding alpine partners is difficult. Lots of other climbers think alpine is crazy.

dumbsocrates

Jul 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #17 of 24 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edm] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edm wrote:
First of all, the CMC is not an "experienced guide service" and the instructors are not professionals. All of the classes are taught by volunteers who are members of the club.

I did not know that. I was convinced that CMC and CMS are somehow the same thing. So thanks.

edm wrote:
I'm curious - what's your experience level with regard to 3rd and 4th class routes in the mountains?

I've done a few class 3 and 4 routes... Not enough, again due to lack of willing partners.

edm wrote:
A big part of doing technical alpine routes is route finding, and that is a skill you can hone before you break out the rope and the gear.

On these routes I prefer not to go alone for obvious reasons. Route finding, I consider myself well versed in orienteering; however, I can't say I ever got lost enough to test my knowledge to the fullest.

dumbsocrates

Jul 17, 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #18 of 24 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. This is most helpful.

And ok.... I cannot deny my frustration. And I do have some faith in mankind after all. However, sometimes the clear statement, "I'm only good for climbing mountains and drinking beer with" just doesn't touch the deeper fibers of male comprehension.

Oh yes, of course, if anyone responsible and somewhat experienced would be willing to climb with this fledgling, send me a PM.

reno

Jul 18, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #19 of 24 (4204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herbertpowell] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

herbertpowell wrote:
I'm wondering if you aren't just over-thinking this. Seriously, spend time in the mountains. Go every free weekend you can. Learn the weather patterns in the mountains near you. Learn what gear the rock takes well. Learn what you need to be comfortable overnight. Learn how to navigate. Practice various rescue and self rescue techniques.

Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one thinking these thoughts.

Seriously, this advice is spot on. The best thing you'll learn from a book is that you have a lot to learn that's NOT in the book.

atg200

Jul 23, 2009, 2:01 PM
Post #20 of 24 (4055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Inwood Arete is very loose, and the crux pitches don't take much gear. It is a good 5.4 for the 5.9 leader. I wouldn't recommend it for a first alpine route.

I think you should log a bunch of time in the flatirons trying to climb very long easy routes as quickly as possible - try linking a couple of the big flatirons in a day. Lumpy Ridge is a good place to go as well - Kor's Flake on Sundance is a nice imitation of an alpine rock route without the altitude issues. After that, do N Ridge of Spearhead. If that goes well, go do whatever you want.

dumbsocrates

Jul 23, 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #21 of 24 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. This information is most useful. I led the dome in Boulder Canyon the other day and, man, it kicked my ass... most importantly, it took too long. It was a rather humbling experience, which I expected. Again, I do not profess I'm ready for alpine routes, but it's where I want to eventually end up. So your suggestions will give me something to chew on.

fool

Aug 2, 2009, 2:25 PM
Post #22 of 24 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gimmeslack] Mountaineering Info, Please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gimmeslack wrote:
I recently picked up "The Mountaineering Handbook" by Craig Connally. It seems to go beyond Freedom of the Hills and in some cases contradicts "traditional" methods. Also more specific to alpine than FOTH.

Agreed: great book! I considered getting the "Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher" but I decided against it because "The Mountaineering Handbook" seemed to cover the same info (and I already owned it). The three climbing/mountaineering books I used are FOTH, Mountaineering Handbook, and Twight's book.

-fool

kheegster

Aug 7, 2009, 3:28 AM
Post #23 of 24 (3787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the others have answered your questions directly, so here are a couple of thoughts from someone who just recently made his first foray into alpine climbing in RMNP.

If you're well versed in multi-pitch trad climbing, then there isn't really much to learn as far as alpine rock climbing techniques is concerned.

You'll need to move fast and efficiently. On a 1000+ ft route you can't afford to plug pro every 5 feet, nor can you and your partner spend 10 minutes dicking about at each belay transition. You were wondering how long it takes to climb 500 feet of 5.4 ... that depends entirely on your comfort level with gear placement. Many climbers would free-solo it and take a few minutes, or if you're sketched out and overprotect it could take hours.

'Route-finding' in the context of alpine climbing isn't about finding your way around a map, but in finding the correct line of ascent amid a jumble of rock features. Screw up and you end up on a 5.10 line with a difficult retreat.

Another aspect is in risk tolerance and management. How comfortable are you in moving quickly in easy and exposed ground? Do you get sketched out by exposure and climb slowly as a consequence? Do you consider a slung boulder an acceptable belay anchor?

I second some of the other suggestions to get started on the Flatirons and Lumpy. A couple of introductory alpine routes in RMNP are the Spiral Route on Notchtop (5.4), Kiener's on Long's Peak (short sections of 5.4) and then N Ridge of Spearhead (super fun long route with a couple of 5.6 pitches).

Have fun and climb safe!

sespegorilla

Sep 28, 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #24 of 24 (3356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Connally's book is the best. It covers gear, anchors, weather, training, the climbers diet, ect and debunks myths that are closely held as the gospel truth by many alpinists. Do yourself a favor and buy it, you wont regret it.
May I also suggest you find yourself a climbing partner with some alpine experience. You can read every alpine book out there but that will never replace hands-on instruction from an expert, that is, someone with book-smarts AND mountain-smarts AND has been tested above the treeline.
With that said, welcome to the club and good luck.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook