RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

.sam.

Jul 31, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2448 views)
Shortcut

questions about ouray
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey everyone me and some buddy are going to head down to ouray this season in january and just wanted to know if anyone had any recomendations were to stay, eat, check out. couple of the buddys are total dirt bags so i might get outvoted and camping might be on the ajenda. if anyone knows of a cheap place to camp, it looks like orvis hotsprings offers year long camping but at $33 a head, there is four, of us so that becomes price perclusive. if we are resonable and stay in a proper establishment anyone have any exsperience with box canyon hot springs? any awnsers or tips would be greatly appresheated
cheers, sam

skiclimb

Jul 31, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [.sam.] questions about ouray [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

.sam. wrote:
hey everyone me and some buddy are going to head down to ouray this season in january and just wanted to know if anyone had any recomendations were to stay, eat, check out. couple of the buddys are total dirt bags so i might get outvoted and camping might be on the ajenda. if anyone knows of a cheap place to camp, it looks like orvis hotsprings offers year long camping but at $33 a head, there is four, of us so that becomes price perclusive. if we are resonable and stay in a proper establishment anyone have any exsperience with box canyon hot springs? any awnsers or tips would be greatly appresheated
cheers, sam

I don't...assuming you were talking to me

dswink

Jul 31, 2009, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camping at Ouray in January would be very. very uncomfortable (soooo cold). I have stayed at the Best Western and the Comfort Inn. Both hotels were nice, with free breakfast and refrigerators in the rooms. Cram four climbers in a room and it is pretty cheap.

You can save money by buying food at the little market in town, but there are several fun all-you-can-eat gatherings for around $15 during the festival (includes all of the beer you can drink).

carabiner96

Jul 31, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the ourayle house. Best beer ever, and Hutch is the bombsky.

Partner angry

Jul 31, 2009, 4:04 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camping isn't bad. The trouble is that it gets dark at 5pm and you can't dry your stuff.

The price of boredom is way too high, I'd get a room based on that alone.

I think it's about $50-$70 for most rooms and you can cram a bunch of people in. It's tougher to get a place during the ice fest or weekends but most people do find somewhere to stay.

I went there with every intention of camping this year. I ended up in a spacious condo with some pretty cool people (and magnus).

climbingcoastie

Jul 31, 2009, 6:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] questions about ouray [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stayed at the Comfort Inn last year during the Fest and was very pleased. Will probably stay there again this year depending on the size of the group I'm with. Good free Breakfast, but the price did go up during Ice Fest weekend. I think from $80 to $150 or so. Get an Ice Park membership (available online) and get about 20% off your room regardless of when or where you stay. We had three of us in a room and it came out to about $250-$300 a person for 6 nights.

Highly recommend the $15 diners at the fest. If you work it right, bring your own lunches, and don't spend any money at the auctions (tuff to do), your room and the diners are all you have to pay for! One of the cheapest vacations I have taken not counting airfare.

Hope this helps.

rschap

Aug 1, 2009, 2:07 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dswink] questions about ouray [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dswink wrote:
Camping at Ouray in January would be very. very uncomfortable (soooo cold). I have stayed at the Best Western and the Comfort Inn. Both hotels were nice, with free breakfast and refrigerators in the rooms. Cram four climbers in a room and it is pretty cheap.

You can save money by buying food at the little market in town, but there are several fun all-you-can-eat gatherings for around $15 during the festival (includes all of the beer you can drink).

Cold if you're from Texas, these guys are from Montana I think they can handle it. South of town is a bunch of off road trails you can camp anywhere around there.

.sam.

Aug 1, 2009, 7:28 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone, with enough "get a hotel room" replies hopefully i can convise the guys, if not were use to the cold and have 8000m type kit if its real chilly. its funny the ice fest didnt even occure to me, is it worth going to or too many people, the idea of going to ouray was to get as much climbing in as possable to get in shape for long routes up here in montana, is the neat atmosphere/ learning from people that are beter than you of the festival worth all the extra people?

rschap

Aug 1, 2009, 2:43 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say if you're going for quality and quantity go before the Ice Fest. For about 2-3 weeks after the fest the ice is really picked out, and depending on the year it’s picked out for the rest of the season. I haven’t gone to the Ice Fest but I’ve heard you don’t get much climbing in but there is a lot to see and do, so it depends on what you want to do. Don’t forget to hit up Ouray Mountain Sports while you’re there.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook