RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Dec 2, 2002, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Women on a Road Trip-Solo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering how many have done this, and their experiences and tips for others.
Or if they plan to, want to, think about it?
I guess I must be all alone in this ?

[ This Message was edited by: enigma on 2002-12-02 21:02 ]

valygrl

Dec 3, 2002, 5:33 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Women on a Road Trip-Solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No way you are NOT alone, I think about that ALL the time. I came really close to doing it last year, but I had to take care of an injury. I will be taking some time off to road trip in the next couple of years.

I read your profile, you are my hero. How was it on the road alone? PM me if you feel like giving up the beta.

Anna

enigma

Dec 3, 2002, 6:06 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks I needed a little support. Just climbed at mt.lemmon for 2 days. It took 11 hours to drive 630 miles , it rained and I'm exhausted now.
That wasn't my road trip from the summer, just since Thursday. I'll P.M. you when I can see straight. Thanks again,Randee

rock_diva

Dec 3, 2002, 7:12 AM
Post #4 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I roadtripped solo this summer for about 2 months (climbing, backpacking, visiting friends, etc).

I loved it! Climbed in Yosemite, Castle Rock, City of Rocks, Pocatello, Little Cottonwood Canyon, American Fork Canyon, St. George, and Indian Creek.

Few things that worked for me:

~plan to meet up with someone you know at a couple of areas. Going solo is great, but it's nice to see a familiar face.

~contact some RC.com people when you need someone to show you around an area.

~when you arrive solo at an area, find a group of climbers and ask if you can join them... at city of rocks I did just that and spent a couple days climbing with an awesome group of guys. Ended up camping at their site and they even made me dinner

ecocliffchick

Dec 3, 2002, 3:51 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't road tripped solo, but I do agree with the advice about trying to meet up with people you know every once in a while. Even if you aren't alone, it's still nice to run into a familiar face (and free shower) once in a while - especially after several weeks in a van!

Partner missedyno

Dec 3, 2002, 6:27 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've roadtriped solo... about 10-12 hours of driving, all on my own. it's my personality, i had a helluva good time.

i was just on mapquest toying with the idea of a
toronto>potrero chico>j-tree>back to toronto road trip. anyone want to come with me?

ecocliffchick

Dec 3, 2002, 6:49 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When were you looking to have this little adventure?

Partner missedyno

Dec 3, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wanna come? i'm taking a leave from dec 23-jan 24. i just found out a couple days ago, and flights are really expensive. i've also been asking around to people on the west coast i could visit so i could book my ticket, but i haven't heard back.

Partner missedyno

Dec 4, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #9 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

something i also do when roadtripping (esp. solo) is that i use my credit cards for evvverything. if i'm in the states i get a better exchange rate, and also were something to happen to me, this is my little electronic trail i'm leaving. where i gas up, that way they know where i was heading.

note: good to tell credit card companies you're going away. last time i had my visa cancelled when i went to pay for my campsite the next morning. fortunately i have another card....

enigma

Dec 4, 2002, 11:31 AM
Post #10 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's some of my trip's for traveling especially if your alone:
1Make sure your car is tuned up and working perfectly before starting
2Get AAA with the extra 100miles towing
3.Have money available for emergencies
4.Avoid speaking to friends and family who are unsupportive while on the road trip
5.Organize your car,have maps and climbing destination information prior
6Be flexible,yet have some idea where you want to climb and particulars about the area
7.Avoid resting,stopping,getting gas at night where its very quiet
8. Use designated rest areas,avoid eye contact with strangers especially men
9. Make sure when you leave car its locked
10.Have cell phone, and phone cards,try to have it in a small specific bag
11.Get the book Rock and Road.
12,Try to plan your climbing trip during the summer months if possible when the weather is better
13 Be aware of how much gas you have,and the next gas station
14.Stop if you're tired or feel sick
15 Try to rest after climbing prior to driving to the next climbing destination
16 Learn to check your oil yourself,and have a quart on hand
17Bring first aid kit,stomach ailment medicine, extra warm clothing, and blanket
18. Use the public library and kinkos for internet use.
19Try to have contacts for climbing prior to leaving,its nice, and in some areas necessary.
20.Follow your instincts and,don't pick up hitchhikers.
21.Most of all,have fun and believe in yourself.

ecocliffchick

Dec 4, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #11 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fawkes, I'd love to come, but I've got school in January (classes and teaching). Damn it. This responsible student stuff really sucks sometimes.

granite_grrl

Dec 5, 2002, 3:10 AM
Post #12 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is pretty inspiring. I graduate from university next December and I want to travel before I start working. The problem is finding anyone who has the interest or the money to go with me.

by the way what are some good places to go in January for a girl who wants to climb, mountain bike and just generally have fun?

jt512

Dec 5, 2002, 5:38 AM
Post #13 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
16 Learn to check your oil yourself,and have a quart on hand

Well, this is the Ladies Forum.

Go ahead, moderate me.

-Jay

enigma

Dec 6, 2002, 8:22 PM
Post #14 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I guess that's a good skill.
But I think its dangerous to pull off to the side of the road,being a women alone out in the middle of nowhere changing a tire. I think you could be asking for more problems than just a flat tire.

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 9, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with daisyfay .. I've changed my tire several times in the big city and in the middle of BFE all by my little old self, and have survived to tell about it ..

In fact, unless your motor is ticking away or you're leaking fluid somewhere, I would argue that knowing how to change a tire is more essential on a roadtrip than checking/changing fluids.

Also, if we're being this low level on vehicle maintenance stuff .. have a tire gauge and know how to use it .. also know what a good tread and a bad tread look like.

Also, an idea from an old women's self defense that I took years ago .. if you're honestly that freaked about being identified as "a chick stranded on the side of the road," keep an extra set of clothes in your trunk and a ballcap. Most people dont stop anyways, just slip on some jeans, an old flannel shirt and a ballcap. I'm sure you'll be fine.

amber

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-12-08 21:13 ]

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 9, 2002, 5:26 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Avoid speaking to friends and family who are unsupportive while on the road trip

Also, I fully admit that I dont know the context of this statement, but it seems a little naive and maybe even a little dangerous. I guess, really it depends on why they're not being supportive. I've taken loads of trips this summer, and the only friend who wasnt supportive was just, well, she's not supportive of anything.

However, when my usually supportive friends start advising against something, I listen to what they're saying and begin to reconsider. A simple example, though not a roadtrip. I really really wanted to do the winter summit with mtngeo, et al., but a good friend who's climbed with me a few times (and is generally supportive of my insatiable lust for all things climbing-related) started advising against the trip because I'm not fit and I live at 500'.

I discussed it with other friends in CO who were more supportive and made me feel better about wanting to go, but when I discussed it with other athletic friends here in the flatlands, they also advised against it, mainly because of the incredible altitude difference with barely any time to acclimatize. (I'd go from 512' to 13,900 in less than 24 hrs, with a resting HR of 87-93 bpm.)

Long story short, I yielded to the advice of friends and family who werent being supportive of the trip .. but, they werent being supportive for good reason; they didnt want to see me getting seriously ill instead of having a rocking good time on my first real summit. Instead, I opted to start some cardio training to get my HR down to something more reasonable and try again later in the season.

Again, not a criticism of the actual post since I dont know the context .. just some food for thought. And, dont get me wrong, I'm all for forging your one path, but sometimes, listening to the reasons that people dont support a decision can save you immense amounts of heartache sometimes. (Take it from the Queen of Pig-headed Stubborness.)

amber

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-12-08 21:31 ]

enigma

Dec 9, 2002, 6:47 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I still think a women alone is better off calling AAA to change her tire,providing of course she has a cell phone.
Now if the circumstances were such that she had no cell phone,AAA ,(obviously it would be better to change her own tire.)
As for avoiding speaking to unsupportive friends and family,it is just my opinion based on a 11,000 mile climbing road trip for four months.( You honestly don't need to hear negative comments during this time.)
I do understand that there might be times when one needs to just check in just to let others know they are alive and well.

There is a difference in speaking to others prior to leaving,about what your planning on doing. I do agree the more information(before) the better.

Please let me know how you fare, after a long road trip comparable to mine . I would be thrilled ,and hope other women go and experience it for themselves.

indigo_nite

Dec 9, 2002, 11:55 PM
Post #18 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm going to broaden this a little to solo travel in gen. i haven't done extended climbing trips but am starting to incorporate climbing w/ travel.

for meeting people, rc.com and sheclimbs.org have been nice. in squamish, bc, the squamish hostel was a good place to meet climbers and mt. bikers. i'm not an expert climber but even meeting up w/ some women to boulder and chat mostly was a nice experience.

someone mentioned not communicating w/ unsupportive people during the trip. actually, my family is so protective that I try not to tell them about the trip until after I return (max 2 weeks so far). I do give a general itinerary to a roommate or friend before the trip (even to motel owners during a zion/hiking trip).

it has been fun so far. trust your gut instincts. if anyone's doing international travel/climbing next year, keep me in the loop.

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 10, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #19 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, i guess i'm just really lucky .. my friends and family are incredibly supportive of my lunacy, until i really start pushing the bounds of life/death .. and even then, they tend to just speak their minds but will support whatever decision i make.

in fact, i cant think of any experiences that i've had where friends/family werent supportive of decisions i've made. though, i do get heckled a lot for my naive courage.

[ This Message was edited by: clymbr_chk on 2002-12-10 10:41 ]

Partner missedyno

Dec 11, 2002, 1:23 PM
Post #20 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, my parents aren't all that excited about my upcoming trip.
doesn't affect me all that much, i'll call them collect about once a week just so they know i'm alive, i mean it's a courtesy. they can't stop me from going...

i took an auto mechanics course when i was in high school and i love even just understanding how a car engine works. i'm confident to drive on my own, just use common sense. and if you don't have any common sense, best you wait until you have some...

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 21, 2002, 9:24 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

daisyfay!!

Honestly, I've called a man to my rescue for tire changing once. After I realized how easy they are to change, though, I refuse. The only times that I've really used AAA are when the car is completely broken and I cant fix it. Some examples:

Last spring, someone broken the ignition key off into the trunk. We called a locksmith, but he couldnt replace the key.

Ran over a lawn mower in the middle of a major Interstate (dont ask, I live in Dallas). It slit my gas tank open, ruined the driver side tires, and damaged my radiator slightly.

Broke a timing belt.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook