RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

northcave

Sep 2, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #1 of 18 (18829 views)
Shortcut

Solo Aid - Modified Grigri
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know this has come up a billion times and I'm sorry :p

Anyway I am getting into solo- climbing / solo aid and up till now just been using a clove hitch. It's becoming a tat annoying and although there are tonnes of guides on modifying a GriGri out there, can someone point be to the best/most accurate thread or tutorial on doing this?

Please note that I also know that i should just go buy a silent partner but they don';t have them over here in the UK. That's my excuse :)

Many thanks in advance

Tim

cclarke

Sep 2, 2009, 2:04 PM
Post #2 of 18 (18821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you are going to use a gri-gri for solo aid, you don't need to modify it. The mods help if you want to rope solo free climbs.

russwalling

Sep 2, 2009, 3:54 PM
Post #3 of 18 (18783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cclarke] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
If you are going to use a gri-gri for solo aid, you don't need to modify it. The mods help if you want to rope solo free climbs.

True 'dat!

Partner pbcowboy77

Sep 4, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 18 (18702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:

Agree, I used a modified one a few times and went back to one without and mods. The one thing I would suggest is to put a keeper cord on it out of 3mm cord or something, you just tie it to the hole you put your beiner through.

Zac

patmay81

Sep 4, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #5 of 18 (18691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
agreed. If you are leading I would suggest an unmodified grigri. I use a link cam or other cam with insane expansion range clipped to my daisy for threading through the grigri or placing pro. but def. leave the grigri unmodded.

wallwombat

Mar 27, 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #6 of 18 (18244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tim,

The following link has the best info on making and using a modified GriGri that I have seen.

http://www.chockstone.org/...=LastMessage#newpost

I modded mine and it works a treat and is especially good if you want to bust out of your aiders and do some free moves.

skullyambro

Sep 25, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #7 of 18 (17373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb on mine, sometimes. I wonder, though, what kinda forces I'm playin' with there. The Gris, after all, IS designed to be at the other end of the rope. We could be expecting too much from it.
That said, I've taken some falls on my rig(unmodded, clipped to belay ring, but backed up) only 20' or so, and the thing has been exemplary. I climbed The Column, The Perch & some Zion Walls in this fashion(having never had a big fall on any) & it was ok....I mean, I never REALLY tested it. Maybe I was way out there & just didn't know it..........That, actually, would be cool. I'd feel Bolder, anyway.Wink
or dead.
It's all good, man.

whipper

Oct 24, 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #8 of 18 (17203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
cclarke wrote:
agreed. If you are leading I would suggest an unmodified grigri. I use a link cam or other cam with insane expansion range clipped to my daisy for threading through the grigri or placing pro. but def. leave the grigri unmodded.

ummm, WTF are you talking about with the link cam?

malcolm777b

Oct 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #9 of 18 (17177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
Yeah, the unmodded grigri seems to feed just fine when aiding. Just be sure to tie your backup knots.

scottek67

Oct 25, 2010, 9:59 PM
Post #10 of 18 (17115 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by scottek67 [In reply to]
Report this Post

chriisu

Nov 24, 2011, 8:24 AM
Post #11 of 18 (16038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel completely safe when lead aid climbing with (unmodified) grigri and having backup knots every three meters or so. You may tie the knots while you're on the ground if you wish. To date I've taken a single fall and it caught me nicely. The only scenario where I'd see this fail would be that the grigri carabiner would break...

USnavy

Nov 25, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #12 of 18 (15972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
It should be noted that almost every wall in Yos has SOME mandatory free climbing on it somwhere. So even if your climbing aid, you are eventually going to have to step out of your aiders. And I have found that when I am trying to free climb in my approach shoes, with a massive rack and extreme rope drag, 2000 feet off the ground, having a device that wont constantly require intervention is a very good thing.

And make sure you back your GriGri up. Ammon McNeely just took a massive screaming whipper because the hook he was standing on popped off and jamed his GriGri open and he fell to the end of his rope.

ammon

Nov 27, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #13 of 18 (15908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello USnavy… Yes, that's the short version of what happened. What you neglected to add is that we were speed climbing and we tend to cut a few corners while doing so. I usually ALWAYS have a backup knot while rope soloing (not speed climbing), unless I’m on easy terrain and feel like it’s not necessary.

I was actually short-fixed and had about 70 feet of rope left after fixing the anchor, I was about 30 feet off the belay with 40 feet of rope left, not a ton of rope in my opinion, only about 10 feet more than if I were to tie a back-up knot (I usually tie a knot every 25-30 feet).

My hook did go flying into my Gri-gri, which has never happened to me, and jammed it open, causing about 20 feet of extra air. I know this because I went back up once my partner arrived at the belay and I took the exact fall and only fell 30 feet.

Anyway, I just thought I’d clear that up a little bit… and yup, we got the first one day.

Cheers, Ammon

USnavy

Nov 27, 2011, 6:41 AM
Post #14 of 18 (15881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ammon] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ammon wrote:
Hello USnavy… Yes, that's the short version of what happened. What you neglected to add is that we were speed climbing and we tend to cut a few corners while doing so. I usually ALWAYS have a backup knot while rope soloing (not speed climbing), unless I’m on easy terrain and feel like it’s not necessary.

I was actually short-fixed and had about 70 feet of rope left after fixing the anchor, I was about 30 feet off the belay with 40 feet of rope left, not a ton of rope in my opinion, only about 10 feet more than if I were to tie a back-up knot (I usually tie a knot every 25-30 feet).

My hook did go flying into my Gri-gri, which has never happened to me, and jammed it open, causing about 20 feet of extra air. I know this because I went back up once my partner arrived at the belay and I took the exact fall and only fell 30 feet.

Anyway, I just thought I’d clear that up a little bit… and yup, we got the first one day.

Cheers, Ammon
Sounds good, thanks for the details. I was under the impression that it was a 70+ footer from the pic you posted on Facebook. The pic I saw showed you dangling about 40 feet below the cameraman with no one under you. The photo seems to imply that the belayer took a pic of you and you were 40 feet below him, implying you fell 40+ feet past the belay.

But in any case, congrats on the send!

altelis

Dec 9, 2011, 4:04 AM
Post #15 of 18 (15633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
cclarke wrote:
It should be noted that almost every wall in Yos has SOME mandatory free climbing on it somwhere. So even if your climbing aid, you are eventually going to have to step out of your aiders. And I have found that when I am trying to free climb in my approach shoes, with a massive rack and extreme rope drag, 2000 feet off the ground, having a device that wont constantly require intervention is a very good thing.

And make sure you back your GriGri up. Ammon McNeely just took a massive screaming whipper because the hook he was standing on popped off and jamed his GriGri open and he fell to the end of his rope.

If you've got your system working well, rope drag shouldn't be an issue whilst roped soloing...

USnavy

Dec 9, 2011, 5:24 AM
Post #16 of 18 (15619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, your right, you dont have any rope drag while soloing, thats one of the advantages of soloing. I was thinking of standard wall climbing where you have a belayer and you have 50 pieces of pro clipped to the rope, than the drag can be a PIA. But not as much of an issue soloing. The GriGri locking up on itself is still an issue though, thats something you want to work out early on.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 9, 2011, 5:27 AM)

altelis

Dec 9, 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #17 of 18 (15599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed

muddymax

Apr 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #18 of 18 (14252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Solo Aid - Modified Grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...for any solo-climbing i use the Edelrid Eddy.
needs no modifications for soloing free - a bit heavier and you have to use a thin rope (about 9.5mm)
holds upside down falls

i like it!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook