RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

krustyklimber

Dec 1, 2002, 7:10 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Aid Gear... For Sale
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yup you read it right I am selling off all my aid gear... you name it, I'm sellin' it.

PM me with your needs and we'll work something out.

Jeff

krustyklimber

Dec 1, 2002, 8:53 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Aid Gear... For Sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The pins I have are as follows:

New: (all pins are BD)
Angles #s
1, 2 2s, 3,4,5,6,plus one used #1
1 Leeper mini cam hook
Blades #s
2 Peckers
3 Rurps
one set BD swedge nuts (one set used)

As new: (slightly used)
2 Rurps
2 Peckers
Blades #s
1,2,3,4,2 5s,6
Lost Arrows #s
1,2 2s,3,4,3 5s,6,7

Make offer on all.

I'll list more as time allows

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-12-01 00:55 ]

sushislayer

Dec 1, 2002, 9:10 AM
Post #3 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHAT THE HELL? What gives, are you hanging up the pitons?

Partner euroford

Dec 1, 2002, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey krusty, pm me in early january if you still have anything left. i'll be scoreing allot of gear this christmass, i'll hit you up on any remaining items.

krustyklimber

Dec 2, 2002, 5:57 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Euro,

Looks like your competition beat you to the punch.

OK guys lemme do some math and I'll let you know what is left of the pins in a few days.

Thanks

Jeff

P.S. I think I am just going to return the new stuff to REI and get full price for them, at least then I can get the other gear I need at a more reasonable loss for me.

Make me an offer on the used stuff only, please.

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-12-01 22:12 ]

krustyklimber

Dec 3, 2002, 5:29 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK you guys who know me know I can never make up my mind...

The more I think about it the less I want to take anything back to REI, having worked there I know the best hope for the gear is it would be used in valuable testing, but I doubt even that would happen. What will happen is, they will destroy it! I can't bear the thought of that... it's bad enough I don't think I'll climb again, but at least my gear should.

So how 'bout we work out something reasonable on it, say 70% of retail at REI and I pay the shipping? It doesn't weigh that much.

Jeff

stick233

Dec 3, 2002, 5:36 AM
Post #7 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff, did you work at the seattle store? i did for about a year... so even though i don't know you, why are you hanging up the aid stuff, are you totally stopping climbing? just curious...

krustyklimber

Dec 3, 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stick,

I did work at the Seattle store just for a short time... I don't really "fit" in the corporate world... but it was a great experience none the less.

Working with people from all over the world on the climbing pinnacle was a huge blast!

I am not getting out of climbing altogether, the reasons for it are many and deep, but I am mostly just taking some time to look at what is important to me, get my life I neglected for too many years to go climbing and playing with motorcycles back in order, and wait for the fire in my belly that used to burn to come back to life.

I worked very hard this last year, with the help of the good Dr. (that's Passthepitonspete, for you guys who are new here), to solo a wall. I really got stoked up, and put so much pressure to succeed on myself I became no fun to climb with. so much so that it interfered with my ability to find a good partner or even have fun while soloing.

But for now I am done aid climbing.

I am going to keep a decent free rack, I am actually able to go through it and get some of the things I would rather have bought the last time 'round.

Jeff

stick233

Dec 3, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff,
that's cool man, why do soemthing if it's just too much pressure and not tons of fun. i hope the fire never dies with you. i hope it all works out well...

rob

fitch

Dec 3, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff, I don't know you very well but I really admire your grit, changing priorities takes alot of gumption. Good luck on the changes and finding the fire again. Another Rob

space_monkey

Dec 3, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where too start to add them up?
So what is your price on the group??

Tyler

krustyklimber

Dec 5, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John,

Your two cents is well taken... Thanks!

I am not going out and selling off my gear without thinking about it, I have actually been contemplating it for about a year... since I left the Valley approx. one year ago...

I went with a friend and we successfully summited a wall, after my big scary moment so to a degree "I got back on the horse". But climbing has not been the same for me since. Part of it was related to confidence problems brought on by not having a solid partner who I could read... I was getting all his signals wrong and it severely underminded my confidence in myself. It later turned out he had complete confidence in me but wasn't good at communicating that.

I put so much of myself into climbing in the last 5 years that I don't feel like it anymore... the last time I even free climbed was in August of this year at the Smith Rock gathering.

I have let many things in my life sit idle while I have been goofing off, way too many.

Also I badly broke my leg in Dec. '00, and it is not going to be the same... ever. When winter sets in I can barely move, I am in enormous pain on a daily basis, on the few attempts I did make to solo a wall I was not physically up to the approach let alone the climb (once I even coulnd not walk back to the truck and ended up bivying at the base and carrying my gear back down in two loads). Another time I was going to simul-solo a route with the only guy I found who might make a good solid partner, and twisted my ankle on the way up and couldn't do it (I was so nervous I nearly puked when we left the car) Luckily Mike was able to use some of the heavy gear I had taken up with me so I didn't have to carry it back down.

My family has suffered the loss of a few relatives this year and it has really got me to thinking about what and who is important to me... my little brother is my best friend, he does not climb anymore (he did when I first started, in fact he was with me on my very first lead) and I have decided to participate in his and my dads hobbies a lot more... one of the relatives who passed away was my dads brother (my uncle), my dad and I just had a long conversation tonight about steelhead trout season. My dad and my uncle shared the same spot on the bank for as long as I can remember... You ask old guys if they know "the bear (uncle Paul) and his brother" and they say "the guys who fish at the Park?"

So for me I am getting my steelhead gear back in order... got my huntin' rifle out of storage (my brother's favorite pastime), where it had been for almost twenty years. I decided I was never going to kill anything again, in my hippie phase, when I was in my early twenties... I am still a crack shot!

On a related note, I did some tree work today. I have been gripped with fear for a very long time now and had been avoiding doing the job... for some reason I got up this morning and felt like going and doing it...
I did as much of the job as I could from the ground, but it wasn't working out so I just got the ladder, climbed up there and did it.
No fears or freaking out.

I truly feel better since I posted I was getting out of aid climbing... I don't feel any pressure to go and finish what I started this summer... no more soloing, no more big announcements, no carrying haulbags that weigh nearly as much as me, no bumming rides to the crag... I feel like I could fly! Like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders... I am actually stoked that my gear will be climbing again, even without me.

It's just crazy!

Thank you all so much for your words of comfort and encouragement, they mean a lot to me and have made this BIG transition in my life so much easier.

Jeff

bigwalling

Dec 5, 2002, 5:50 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeh, quitting is a big thing. Read this story by Eric Coomer.

I have failed alot in the last year. But I have now built up my confidence and am getting closer to leading A4. I made the announcment to climb the Chief, but I didn't get up it. I was all set to solo a route that is pretty hard up on the Badge but was sent a busted portaledge the day before I left. This really through off my motivation. It can take time but you get through it. It will all make sense to you after some thin nailing and hooking. You'll see.

Here are some link to photos to inspire you:
Tempest
Reticent
Hurrican Jingus
B.A.T.

bigwalling

Dec 5, 2002, 6:03 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing. On my first multi pitch climb, I went with some guy named mike(maybe the same one you are talking about?). He led the first pitch. When he finished the pitch he pulled the rest of the rope up and I didn't have it tied into me(only the gri-gri). I had never climbed with a partner so I never tie into the rope. It took me so long to reclimb that pitch and get the gear out. It was a great learning thing though.

The whole time I climbed with him I felt like an idiot. I sucked at cleaning. I was slow at leading. Then I chickened out on the crux pitch. That was what started all my bailing crap. I think I could lead that pitch without too much trouble now. All I had to do was some hooking on loose flakes to get to good placements. I was way embarresed the whole time. But I learned alot. He also was real nice about it all. So stick it out. You'll figure it out.

Partner philbox

Dec 5, 2002, 6:04 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Krusty, dude, you could almost call that a big announcement. Umm, (stares sheepishly at the floor) what are you doing with your Krusty ledge.
...Phil...

krustyklimber

Dec 5, 2002, 6:12 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so flattered at all the interest in the Krustyledge. I find it almost amazing.

I am not going to sell the original... I just can't do it.

But... I did look into the idea of going into production, I could take the capitol from my gear and put it into materials for making Krustyledges for sale.

Do you guys think you'd be interested in buying them, and if so (we all know what it cost me) what would you pay for one?

Jeff

P.S. I have not updated my list yet becuase I am waiting to hear back from someone who said he wanted a major portion of my gear.
As soon as I iron out his order I will post the rest...

Partner philbox

Dec 5, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #17 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff, I`m sure your ledge would be worth at least $20, awww, ok at a stretch $25, nah only kidding. Dude put some figures together and I`ll help you work out what you should be charging. Materials cost + labour at $ per hour + a sensible profit so that you can continue to make these things into the future.
...Phil...

twrock

Dec 6, 2002, 9:11 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff, honest words!

Reminds me of something I try to tell the kids that I coach in soccer. "If your not having fun, why play?"

My father-in-law got me into climbing. But over the past ten years I watched him vascilate between really wanting to do it and really not wanting to do it anymore. Finally one day he just said that he was done. He'll still tie into a toprope if others are climbing, but he let go of his big wall aspirations and won't lead anymore either. I used to not be able to understand it, but I am understanding it more every day.

It used to be a lot easier to justify what I do out there on the cliffs. But we change.

krustyklimber

Dec 8, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK thanks for your patience one and all, I have waited on these guys long enough...

I have posted a list of what's for sale here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=21281&forum=6&0 (*edit*don't bother going, it's all gone!)

So have at it!

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-12-09 11:44 ]

yossarian

Dec 11, 2002, 6:28 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jake!

Haven't talked to you in awhile. I was glad to take part in your first multi-pitch. You weren’t slow on the sharp end; although pulling up the rope only to find nothing attached to it was rather funny. As for the crux pitch we both backed off...maybe we can finish the job this winter! Just so people know, bigwalling is 16 yrs old and jumping on A3+ leads while his peers play video games. Shoot me your email and I'll forward you some pics.

Sorry to steal some of your thunder krusty, let me know if you're game for some freeclimbing anytime soon. As for selling your ledges, I'll vouch for their quality any day.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook