Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The Shasta Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Lazlo

Nov 14, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2496 views)
Shortcut

The Shasta Thread  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Mt__Shasta)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shasta seems to be one of the most unique and diverse mountains in the area. There are at least four different guide companies that hold commercial permits for it. It's notoriously dangerous. It holds the longest glacier in California; the Whitney Glacier. It stands alone with a prominence of over 8,000 feet...it's summit being at 14,162.

I think the mountain deserves it's own thread.

So post your trip reports, pictures, stories, thoughts, questions, and observations.

Lazlo

Dec 13, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] The Shasta Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mach2

Dec 13, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to dig to find some good photo's of shasta, but I do remember a couple of farly interesting stories from folks on the mountain.
The first being a tale that a man had read on a map that there was a sizable lake at about 10000ft on mt shasta. So the gentleman sets out fishing gear in hand and slogs his way in the direction of Helen's lake. Apparently he was disappointed when he got to Helen's only to find a puddle.
The second story, I heard from a ranger who claimed that one year a man clad in full robes, sandals, staff and beard (think Charleston Heston from ten commandments) whom was also headed up toward Helen's lake, but likely looking for some kind of religious experience. Word is he actually got just above Helen's before rangers and fellow climber's sent him back due to the possible danger of his equipment.

Lazlo

Dec 13, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mach2] The Shasta Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mach2 wrote:
I'll have to dig to find some good photo's of shasta, but I do remember a couple of farly interesting stories from folks on the mountain.
The first being a tale that a man had read on a map that there was a sizable lake at about 10000ft on mt shasta. So the gentleman sets out fishing gear in hand and slogs his way in the direction of Helen's lake. Apparently he was disappointed when he got to Helen's only to find a puddle.
The second story, I heard from a ranger who claimed that one year a man clad in full robes, sandals, staff and beard (think Charleston Heston from ten commandments) whom was also headed up toward Helen's lake, but likely looking for some kind of religious experience. Word is he actually got just above Helen's before rangers and fellow climber's sent him back due to the possible danger of his equipment.

Heh. I'm not surprised by either! You can see some crazy stuff up there in peak season.

Lazlo

Mar 22, 2010, 2:31 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000

Mar 24, 2010, 1:52 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so that's where all these photos have migrated to.

dingus

Mar 24, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] The Shasta Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Come along on a little day hike up Mt Shasta if you will!

Hotlum Bolam is the ridge between the two eponymous glaciers, the left hand skyline, if you will, as seen in this pic.

On the way to the northside trailhead a most interesting juxtaposition!

We got a genuine alpine start. Dawn caught us at the toe of the glaciers, getting ready to crampon up.

Yours truly, Sept 2003.

A group of roped climbers led by a Shasta Mountain Guide. This was day 2 for them. I think they camped nearby.

My companions Burl Guido and his sister Jen.

This woman is an athlete and a machine. She is also one of the owners of a guide service on the mountain. She wasn't guiding us per se, but she was, hehe. She couldn't help herself, lol. Being around two stoners like Burl and I, on a glacier, has to be worrisome.

We fired the brazier at every stop, up and down the mountain, Burl and I. I tried not to slow them down too much - I think I did OK.

Speaking of guides, Chris, Jen's husband, had several guided parties to coordinate that day. Serving as Major Domo he climbed alone up the center of Bolam glacier. He was a couple of thousand feet below us when I snapped this shot, coming up fast to join his clients and guides (and us!) on the summit!

Shastina!

Summit!

Dingus and Burl. The two of us did so many back country climbs, walls, ski descents, FAs... mi hermano! He lives up at Shasta City now, has a family there.

Chris and Jen..., husband and wife, owners of Shasta Mountain Guides, sweet shot! Oh btw, Chris caught up to us before we got to the top, hehe.

After suitable summit time we started the long trip down.

No place for a misstep!

Down down down, past ice, past snow, down to the rocks and thence onto vegetation and our cars.

Great times! (I even drive home that night, 200 miles.)

Cheers
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Mar 24, 2010, 3:23 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook