RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

sarhawp

Dec 6, 2002, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Level of Competitors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been attempting to find this info on some past forums or on some other Web sites but No Luck! So I apologize if this is an old topic.

What are the level of female climbers at these ABS competitions? I understand that they have problems of all difficulties, but what are the lower end climbers climbing at? What are some other competitions? (I know the PCA is the creme de le creme)

Example: What should I be climbing to enter an ABS comp?

Also, are there some route competitions out there too?

ecocliffchick

Dec 6, 2002, 8:44 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Level of Competitors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The ABS comps I've attended in Michigan and Ontario have a beginners, intermediate and open categories. They will have problems set far below V0 for the beginners and intermediate women. I'd say if you are a female and want to compete in intermediate, you should be able to climb 5.9/5.10 and in open you should be able to climb at least V3 or V4. I know this seems really wimpy, but at least around here, there aren't that many females bouldering higher grades. The guys in beginners usually climb V0, in intermediate, V3 - V5 and in open V6 and up.

bsperes

Dec 6, 2002, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eco - those are very soft ratings for east coast abs comps

For a bigger comp the open women are climbing at least v4/5 and often v7+, i.e. at the level of intermediate/advanced (depending on the comp) men. In the SLC area I would expect some women to pull very hard.

Regardless of your bouldering level anyone should go to a comp. You may not win but you will have fun and learn a lot about technique and meet some great people.

madriver

Dec 6, 2002, 9:10 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ABS Comps should be rated. Example-ABS has a system similar to movies.

G-Kid rated friendly (routes set for all ages and sizes)

Up to R- (National comp final) major hard

So look on the ABS web site for your comps rating and more info about the rating system. All gyms are a little different, but in general the lower rated or G comps I would go up in catagory-Intermediate should be around V1-V3. The harder rated comps PG-13 go lower in catagory - novice oe beginer depending upon what you climb now. The gym should should also have a guidline of where there problems are set. As for route conpetition check out the USCCA web site and the ABS web site (Rockcomps.com) has both links. And like Brian said go to a comp check it out and fun, you'll get the feel for where you climb quickly.

Good Luck

Bob

vaness

Dec 7, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the link to USCCA is www.usclimbing.org
i would check it out if you want a route comp. they probly wont start untill around march but it gives you time to get really strong.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook