RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

go_dyno

Dec 10, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Boot Recommendations for multi-day Snowshoe trips
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been going on day snowshoe trips and never had the right boots, but got by with what I tried. I've used leather LS Trango Plus boots (too stiff, cold, great ankle support, ltwt), Danner Sharptail GTX (great soft soles, almost warm enuff, NO ANKLE SUPPORT), LS Lhotse (warm, too heavy, too stiff),...

Any suggestions for a pair of warm, light to mid weight, not too stiff, but very important to have good ankle support... boots for snow shoeing?

hafilax

Dec 10, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] Boot Recommendations for multi-day Snowshoe trips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is good ankle support so important and why are you complaining about some boots being too stiff? Sounds more like a Goldilocks problem; just stiff enough. Are you talking meadow skipping or alpine climbing trips?

FWIW I use one pair of boots for light mountaineering and backpacking; La Sportiva Glaciers. For multiday I bring hut booties for warmth around camp.

rockforlife

Dec 10, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They can't be beat, so warm, soft, and give you great movement. Also they are great for your feet.

http://shop.mukluks.com/products.asp?dept=27

onrockandice

Dec 10, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Boot Recommendations for multi-day Snowshoe trips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hafilax, you are too mean! Wink You should have at least helped him with some good links to ease his pain. For the leader of the pack there is no replacement for this boot. http://www.moon-boots.com/

If however you don't think you will need all the features of the boot listed above you could try http://www.spadout.com/p/la-sportiva-trango-s/

I have the Trango and have no complaints. Had them out in cold wet snow, then hiked them up into the negative zero temps with just a thin ice breaker sock. No complaints. It's a great all-mountain boot. For ice/mixed the Asolo Cholatse http://www.spadout.com/p/asolo-cholatse-th/ Is a premium sled for your dogs.

go_dyno

Dec 10, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Boot Recommendations for multi-day Snowshoe trips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Why is good ankle support so important and why are you complaining about some boots being too stiff? Sounds more like a Goldilocks problem; just stiff enough. Are you talking meadow skipping or alpine climbing trips?

FWIW I use one pair of boots for light mountaineering and backpacking; La Sportiva Glaciers. For multiday I bring hut booties for warmth around camp.

If you are carrying 80 lb pack & going into difficult steep terrain then ankle support is IMPORTANT. I prefer boots with a little more cushion in them than my ice boots because I find that the bottoms of my feet get beat up & feel like I've been jogging on cement. Sportiva boots are a little over-technical in this aspect in that I find they all have too little cushion in them.

Was hoping for something inbetween.

swaghole

Dec 11, 2009, 1:47 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a beefy mountaineering boot (Nepals) since most of the snowshoeing I do is to get to the ice climbs. I like the extra ankle support in the steeper terrain but the boots are comfortable and warm enough for long hikes. If I go for more then a day, keeping the boots dry is an issue because my feet sweat. I use a vapour barrier sock between the liner sock and the smartwool sock. For around the camp and in the tent, camp booties do the job (get the ones with the built in gaiters).

silentpartner949

Dec 11, 2009, 7:41 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go_dyno wrote:
I have been going on day snowshoe trips and never had the right boots, but got by with what I tried. I've used leather LS Trango Plus boots (too stiff, cold, great ankle support, ltwt), Danner Sharptail GTX (great soft soles, almost warm enuff, NO ANKLE SUPPORT), LS Lhotse (warm, too heavy, too stiff),...

Any suggestions for a pair of warm, light to mid weight, not too stiff, but very important to have good ankle support... boots for snow shoeing?

I've also used the la sportiva trangos and was quite pleased with them

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/274

I use with msr lightning ascent shoes, carrying about a 40 lb pack, using the stock (thin) liners and medium thickness smartwool sock in temps around freezing.

I can not use those same shoes without a slightly thicker liner from my running shoes, if going for a long hike/approach not on snow, there's a bit too much impact due to the thin liner for me.

Not an issue when using snow shoes for me though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook