Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Dec 10, 2009, 7:46 AM
Post #1 of 27 (3610 views)
Shortcut

one count of unregulated high risk activity
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

A woman who free-climbed Queensland's iconic Suncorp Stadium because she was "bored" has been charged by police.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=981999

acorneau

Dec 10, 2009, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Best line of the article:

In reply to:
It is also believed the woman was not intoxicated at the time, police say.

Laugh

evanwish

Dec 11, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awe bummer! she even got caught at 4am!!!! ugh...

Ericss42

Dec 11, 2009, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [evanwish] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

God damn passerbyers like this who called the cops.

"Uh, hello, 911?... there's this person doing something that I'm unfamiliar with, and because I have no idea what she is doing, I have opted call you, because she is probably drunk...

What's that? No, I haven't tried speaking with her to check if she's ok or knows what she is doing. No, she doesn't look like she's in trouble at the moment... But really, I don't know why anyone would climb on something, it doesn't make sense. She's not making sense, and therefore she is probably intoxicated. I have no knowledge here, but to justify this lack of knowledge I am going to bet that she is doing something wrong. Did I mention that she looks young? You should really get down here ASAP."

To be fair, if I was at a crag and there were kids at the top stumbling around, I would feel obligated to intervene immediately. But calling the police would definitely not be #1 on my list of possible actions. More of like a, "Hey, do you guys fully realize what you are doing right now?"

evanwish

Dec 11, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ericss42] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ericss42 wrote:

"Uh, hello, 911?... there's this person doing something that I'm unfamiliar with, and because I have no idea what she is doing, I have opted call you, because she is probably drunk...

What's that? No, I haven't tried speaking with her to check if she's ok or knows what she is doing. No, she doesn't look like she's in trouble at the moment... But really, I don't know why anyone would climb on something, it doesn't make sense. She's not making sense, and therefore she is probably intoxicated. I have no knowledge here, but to justify this lack of knowledge I am going to bet that she is doing something wrong. Did I mention that she looks young? You should really get down here ASAP."

To be fair, if I was at a crag and there were kids at the top stumbling around, I would feel obligated to intervene immediately. But calling the police would definitely not be #1 on my list of possible actions. More of like a, "Hey, do you guys fully realize what you are doing right now?"

second...

but its also just a "unnecessary" liability that the city does not want to deal with.. but then again, the charge seemed sort of contrived as well.

cintune

Dec 12, 2009, 1:43 AM
Post #6 of 27 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rainman0915

Dec 12, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #7 of 27 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

evanwish wrote:
Ericss42 wrote:

second...

but its also just a "unnecessary" liability that the city does not want to deal with.. but then again, the charge seemed sort of contrived as well.

liability to who other then herself?

shockabuku

Dec 12, 2009, 5:55 AM
Post #8 of 27 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thread title implies that all high risk activity should be regulated.

The world is fucked.

agdavis

Dec 12, 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 27 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

I was just about to post the same thing...

In my opinion, if you are not jeopardizing anyone's life but your own, why regulate?

shockabuku

Dec 12, 2009, 6:21 AM
Post #10 of 27 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

In my opinion, if you are not jeopardizing anyone's life but your own, why regulate?

Because other people, smarter, wiser, better people (usually known as politicians) know what's good for you better than you do. And if you're endangering your life you must be incompetent.

onceahardman

Dec 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

Because other people, smarter, wiser, better people (usually known as politicians) know what's good for you better than you do. And if you're endangering your life you must be incompetent.

Don't you know? That jackboot on your throat is keeping you safe!

Partner j_ung

Dec 12, 2009, 1:33 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently, the activity is not quite as unregulated as the charges claim.

shockabuku

Dec 12, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #13 of 27 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Apparently, the activity is not quite as unregulated as the charges claim.

Battery powered iron. I'm impressed!

jcrew

Dec 12, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #14 of 27 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

unfortunately, it's not just high risk activity that control freaks seek to regulate. if you look at it, it's almost every activity imaginable.

irregularpanda

Dec 12, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #15 of 27 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jcrew wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

unfortunately, it's not just high risk activity that control freaks seek to regulate. if you look at it, it's almost every activity imaginable.

I'm inclined to agree in all cases, except for seatbelt laws. Those, I agree with.

shockabuku

Dec 12, 2009, 8:31 PM
Post #16 of 27 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
jcrew wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

I'm inclined to agree in all cases, except for seatbelt laws. Those, I agree with.

Yeah, and somebody agrees with everything. That's the problem. Minority agreement gives the impression of legitimacy to these people who are taking us closer and closer to an Orwellian existence.

edge

Dec 12, 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #17 of 27 (2848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
jcrew wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

Yeah, and somebody agrees with everything. That's the problem. Minority agreement gives the impression of legitimacy to these people who are taking us closer and closer to an Orwellian existence.

First of all, my "Live Free or Die" state still does not mandate seat belts for adults. I guess New Hampshire may be Darwins biggest fan.

Second, in a world where people can sue corporations for hot coffee being hot, or falling on icy steps that were slippery, then it is no stretch for someone to fall off a public venue and sue the town, state, province, territory, architect, homeless person in the attached alleyway for damages. Throw enough darts at a stone wall, and one might just stick! I am sure the cops were just protecting the town from potential lawsuits that may set a precedent.

Buildering is rarely looked upon as a valid pursuit outside of our community.

(This post was edited by edge on Dec 12, 2009, 8:58 PM)

shockabuku

Dec 12, 2009, 9:29 PM
Post #18 of 27 (2831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
jcrew wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

First of all, my "Live Free or Die" state still does not mandate seat belts for adults. I guess New Hampshire may be Darwins biggest fan.

Second, in a world where people can sue corporations for hot coffee being hot, or falling on icy steps that were slippery, then it is no stretch for someone to fall off a public venue and sue the town, state, province, territory, architect, homeless person in the attached alleyway for damages. Throw enough darts at a stone wall, and one might just stick! I am sure the cops were just protecting the town from potential lawsuits that may set a precedent.

Not sure I get your point there, if you have one. Maybe this ought to be moved to Soapbox. I don't go there, it makes me too angry.

fist

Dec 13, 2009, 3:56 AM
Post #19 of 27 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
jcrew wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
agdavis wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

The world is fucked.

Seatbelt laws are ridiculous. If you're so dumb that you don't realize that you should wear a seatbelt in a car then you deserve to die

shimanilami

Dec 13, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #20 of 27 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

evanwish wrote:
... but then again, the charge seemed sort of contrived ...

Indeed! I interpret "unregulated" to mean that there is no law prohibiting the activity. In other words, they have a law that allows the authorities to charge people for actions that are not against the law. It would seem that contriving charges is written into Queensland's legal code. What a place!

I'm no lawyer, but in the US there is a prohibition against "ex post facto" prosecutions of this sort.

shockabuku

Dec 13, 2009, 6:09 AM
Post #21 of 27 (2690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
evanwish wrote:

Indeed! I interpret "unregulated" to mean that there is no law prohibiting the activity. In other words, they have a law that allows the authorities to charge people for actions that are not against the law. It would seem that contriving charges is written into Queensland's legal code. What a place!

I'm no lawyer, but in the US there is a prohibition against "ex post facto" prosecutions of this sort.

Maybe this law actually says you are legally prohibited from doing things that aren't specifically permitted (e.g. regulated). Now there's a government that's looking out for you.Crazy

majid_sabet

Dec 13, 2009, 6:24 AM
Post #22 of 27 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] one count of unregulated high risk activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
evanwish wrote:

Adj. 1. unregulated - not regulated; not subject to rule or discipline; "unregulated off-shore fishing"
regulated - controlled or governed according to rule or principle or law; "well regulated industries"; "houses with regulated temperature"
2. unregulated - without regulation or discipline; "an unregulated environment"
unstructured - lacking definite structure or organization; "an unstructured situation with no one in authority"; "a neighborhood gang with a relatively unstructured system"; "children in an unstructured environment often feel insecure"; "unstructured inkblots"

kylekienitz

Dec 13, 2009, 8:26 AM
Post #23 of 27 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

and rarely inside of it as well.

markc

Dec 14, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #24 of 27 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Second, in a world where people can sue corporations for...falling on icy steps that were slippery...

I don't know the ordinances where you live, but this is relevant in my area:

In reply to:
§ 419.03 REMOVAL OF SNOW AND ICE.
Every tenant, occupant or owner having the care or charge of any land or building fronting on any street in the city, where there is a sidewalk paved with concrete, brick, stone or other material shall, within twenty-four (24) hours after the fall of any snow or sleet, or the accumulation of ice caused by freezing rainfall, cause the same to be removed from the sidewalk.

I agree that we live in an overly litigious society, but that's a really poor example. Not removing snow and ice in a reasonable timeframe is one of my pet peeves, and I think companies and individuals should be fined out the ass for violations. A bit off-topic, but there it is.

Gmburns2000

Dec 14, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #25 of 27 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Burglar sues homeowner who shot him

Burglar sues store because employees shot him

Burglar sues naked homeowner after having his jaw broken by a baseball bat

Burglar sues homeowner after being beaten after being lured back to house by the homeowner

I tried, but wasn't able to find any sucessful cases out there.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook