Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 1:22 AM
Post #1 of 81 (8843 views)
Shortcut

Careers for Climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After High school, I decided to be a full time climbers and did odd jobs to support myself along the way.

First thing was working for Curry Company to live and climb in Yosemite. Lasted about a year before I hit the road and find part-time jobs.

Eventually, started a guide service in TN and sold it. I decided that guiding wasn't good for my personal climbing. The best season to climb was my busiest work wise. Instead, I became a school teacher.

Now, I have a rewarding career with plenty of vacation time to climb too. I took one step further and work in American schools overseas (Consulate and embassy schools) I make good money and have plenty of climbing time.

What are some other careers that allow plenty of time to climb and are versatile location wise?

I have friends who are firemen and some registered nurses too. Both seem to offer good pay, time off, and easy to relocate with too.

majid_sabet

Dec 15, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #2 of 81 (8808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
After High school, I decided to be a full time climbers and did odd jobs to support myself along the way.

First thing was working for Curry Company to live and climb in Yosemite. Lasted about a year before I hit the road and find part-time jobs.

Eventually, started a guide service in TN and sold it. I decided that guiding wasn't good for my personal climbing. The best season to climb was my busiest work wise. Instead, I became a school teacher.

Now, I have a rewarding career with plenty of vacation time to climb too. I took one step further and work in American schools overseas (Consulate and embassy schools) I make good money and have plenty of climbing time.

What are some other careers that allow plenty of time to climb and are versatile location wise?

I have friends who are firemen and some registered nurses too. Both seem to offer good pay, time off, and easy to relocate with too.

you need to meet ANGRY cause he is the best example of a good climber with no Job.

surfer9joe

Dec 15, 2009, 1:58 AM
Post #3 of 81 (8807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Internet marketing/ website stuff. Can work anywhere. Create some websites that make money and then live off them, I did that for a while until i surfed too much and let my website lag.

swoopee

Dec 15, 2009, 2:13 AM
Post #4 of 81 (8775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfer9joe] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfer9joe wrote:
Internet marketing/ website stuff. Can work anywhere. Create some websites that make money and then live off them, I did that for a while until i surfed too much and let my website lag.

Yeah, or you land a gig where the boss wants you sitting in a cubicle 9-5 m-f. Mad

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 2:18 AM
Post #5 of 81 (8768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfer9joe wrote:

A good example of what I'm looking for. Can you describe the job. Obviously, some strong writing skills?

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #6 of 81 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

you need to meet ANGRY cause he is the best example of a good climber with no Job.

I am not interested in no job. I did this already and decided I wanted more in life. I have no regrets about my path. Actually, as teacher, i can take a year off every now and than if I choose. My wife is a climber too, so I don't even have to worry about her not wanting to travel and climb.

surfer9joe

Dec 15, 2009, 2:26 AM
Post #7 of 81 (8745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can you describe the job
Yes, come up with an idea to make money online, create a website that supports that idea. Its a bit easier if have a passion about whatever subject you are making a site about.

This site used to do well, now just ok: http://www.surfguidehawaii.com

Ive actually got about 30 different sites in different niches, surfing, insurance, dental plans, theres more...

Anyone want to help me/partner with me on one I never got off the ground? Had the idea never followedthrough, I'm Looking for guest posters to give trip reports and gear reviews: http://www.climbingenthusiast.com

Some other websites to read and learn about making money online: http://www.webmasterworld.com
http://www.wickedfire.com

This stuff is all self taught, by the way, there really is no college of online marketing. Just think up an idea for a websiteand figure out how to do it!

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 2:44 AM
Post #8 of 81 (8727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfer9joe wrote:
In reply to:
Can you describe the job
Yes, come up with an idea to make money online, create a website that supports that idea. Its a bit easier if have a passion about whatever subject you are making a site about.

This site used to do well, now just ok: http://www.surfguidehawaii.com

Ive actually got about 30 different sites in different niches, surfing, insurance, dental plans, theres more...

Anyone want to help me/partner with me on one I never got off the ground? Had the idea never followedthrough, I'm Looking for guest posters to give trip reports and gear reviews: http://www.climbingenthusiast.com

Some other websites to read and learn about making money online: http://www.webmasterworld.com
http://www.wickedfire.com

This stuff is all self taught, by the way, there really is no college of online marketing. Just think up an idea for a websiteand figure out how to do it!

I do have an idea for a site, if you have time for a new venture, let me know.

I also own www.okinawaclimbing.com

irregularpanda

Dec 15, 2009, 2:55 AM
Post #9 of 81 (8708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

I have friends who are firemen and some registered nurses too.

I'm in nursing school for exactly that reason. 3 days on, 4 days off. When the economy crashes I can work and get paid well. Anywhere in the world.

Right now it sucks, as I'm still in school and have no time to actually climb. My hands are soft like a baby's ass, but pretty soon I should be loving it.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the paycheck with a comma.

Oddball

Dec 15, 2009, 3:06 AM
Post #10 of 81 (8689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nuclear mechanic. Lots of pay, lots of time off, great benefits in case of injuryPirate

(This post was edited by Oddball on Dec 15, 2009, 3:06 AM)

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #11 of 81 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

I'm in nursing school for exactly that reason. 3 days on, 4 days off. When the economy crashes I can work and get paid well. Anywhere in the world.

Right now it sucks, as I'm still in school and have no time to actually climb. My hands are soft like a baby's ass, but pretty soon I should be loving it.

How long is the schooling? Have you heard about the temporary assignments and traveling nurses?

irregularpanda

Dec 15, 2009, 3:13 AM
Post #12 of 81 (8677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

How long is the schooling? Have you heard about the temporary assignments and traveling nurses?

Depends on the school, mine is an accelerated program that takes 16 months. Others take up to 3 years. And the travel nursing, that's one of the major reasons I'm doing it. They get paid more for the "inconvenience" of traveling.

If you are looking at schools my only suggestion is to get into an accredited BSN program whose accreditation is respected in most countries. Try to avoid ADN programs. The difference is a much deeper understanding of theory, and you can make huge advancements in your career if you so choose.

dr_feelgood

Dec 15, 2009, 3:17 AM
Post #13 of 81 (8671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

CDB!!!!1

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 3:25 AM
Post #14 of 81 (8660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

CDB!!!!1

CDB what is that.

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 3:30 AM
Post #15 of 81 (8654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

Depends on the school, mine is an accelerated program that takes 16 months. Others take up to 3 years. And the travel nursing, that's one of the major reasons I'm doing it. They get paid more for the "inconvenience" of traveling.

If you are looking at schools my only suggestion is to get into an accredited BSN program whose accreditation is respected in most countries. Try to avoid ADN programs. The difference is a much deeper understanding of theory, and you can make huge advancements in your career if you so choose.

Excellent, thanks. A friend of mine is doing a nursing program in North Carolina. I agree, it will be nice for you to have a career that earns you a good living wage and offers you time to climb too.

Partner philbox

Dec 15, 2009, 3:51 AM
Post #16 of 81 (8626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Become a landlord. All the time in the world to go climbing. The passive income supports your lifestyle without the need for a job. Works for me.

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 4:23 AM
Post #17 of 81 (8592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hw many rental properties do you have?

mrmcface

Dec 15, 2009, 4:34 AM
Post #18 of 81 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an outdoor guide. I've mostly been doing sea kayaking and canoeing or other soft stills of the sort. The benefit is, you get to work season to season with about a month or two of free time between each job, for travel. If you can manage to find these jobs in secluded areas, where you end up on trip most of the time, than you tend to accumulate a lot of extra cash for your time off during the shoulder season - less opportunities to spend it on beer I guess. I have a few friends who save as much as possible during their summer jobs and spend the winter months in a warmer country climbing.
Down side is you may not get as much opportunity to climb during work peroids... And no retirement benefits.

Partner philbox

Dec 15, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #19 of 81 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Hw many rental properties do you have?

Only two, but they are huge with about 40 tenants.

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 4:48 AM
Post #20 of 81 (8558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrmcface] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mrmcface wrote:
I'm an outdoor guide. I've mostly been doing sea kayaking and canoeing or other soft stills of the sort. The benefit is, you get to work season to season with about a month or two of free time between each job, for travel. If you can manage to find these jobs in secluded areas, where you end up on trip most of the time, than you tend to accumulate a lot of extra cash for your time off during the shoulder season - less opportunities to spend it on beer I guess. I have a few friends who save as much as possible during their summer jobs and spend the winter months in a warmer country climbing.
Down side is you may not get as much opportunity to climb during work peroids... And no retirement benefits.

Nice. I agree on no retirement. Also hard once you have a family and need steady income unless you end up managing h service.

A definitely rewarding job, I doubt a career for life.

mrmcface

Dec 15, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #21 of 81 (8556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely a rewarding job. Keeps you outdoors and in shape! haha. I guess the end goal is to spend this time travelling and gaining experience so I can eventually start my own business and settle down.

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 4:55 AM
Post #22 of 81 (8551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrmcface] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a good long term plan. if you're serious about starting an outdoor guide business, you need to seriously consider a relocation to South East Asia.

I've helped with some outdoor guide/climbing guide consulting here and outdoor industry here is financially rewarding for sure.

danull16

Dec 15, 2009, 4:58 AM
Post #23 of 81 (8541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

start an outdoor supply store. work five days and lead a trip every weekend. not as a guide but a sponsor. gives you advertising and reputation, plus you get to meet a ton of cools peeps.

Rudmin

Dec 15, 2009, 5:28 AM
Post #24 of 81 (8505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Met some Norwegians who were oil rig abseilers. They worked 2 weeks on 4 weeks off. You can fit a lot of climbing into 4 fully paid weeks.

guangzhou

Dec 15, 2009, 5:35 AM
Post #25 of 81 (8498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danull16] Careers for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

danull16 wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

start an outdoor supply store. work five days and lead a trip every weekend. not as a guide but a sponsor. gives you advertising and reputation, plus you get to meet a ton of cools peeps.

I mananaged an outdoor store for awhile. No thanks, especially in today's world of internet shopping.

As for work the store five days week, and guide trips on weekends, sounds like a seven day work week. Sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Yes, guiding is work. In thins case, you would be working a store and guiding people on weekends. When would you actually get to climb. Keep in mind, guiding and climbing are two different beast.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook