RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

daneburns

Dec 24, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2588 views)
Shortcut

Nomic hammers and new BD picks!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Previous conversation here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/928447/1

I've been adding hammers to Nomics for a couple of seasons now.
We have finally come up with a design I think is better than the factory would have done it. Easy to improve someone else's designs if you don't have to invent the design, so if you can't do it better why bother?

Compared to the newest BD Fusion

The pictures are of a hammer and pick made to mate up in a Nomic head using the Petzl factory hammer and pick. We (coldthistle.com) will be offering this service on your Petzl parts for $65, on new Petzl parts for $150 and as of today our own hammer and pick. We'll offer two versions of pick to fit the Nomic. Either can be had with or without a hammer slot and the slotted picks can be used with a spacer without the hammer. The *Scapel* pick is a radical water ice pick. The "Rock* a mixed pick that will aslo climb water ice just fine. The picks are being manufactured from a an esoteric Japanese die steel that will be more durable than anything produced todate. Both are drilled for the Petzl pick weights. Cost of CT hammer and pick set is for $175.

Wait till you see what we will be offering for BD tools! This is just the tip ofthe iceberg. What we are doing is going to change that entire BD pick/handle dynamic!

Now for the really cool part.

We'll take your useable Quark hammer and any *new* Nomic pick in trade for a set of modified Petzl hammer and new Astro pick. We may also have a limited supply of Cascade picks. Cost for the trade is $65.

Send me your old pick and hammer and the connversion is $55 which includes priority USPS shipping. To modify your extra picks is $25 each. 10 day turn around.

Nomic pick weights are 62grams. The cut down CT hammer is 34grams

So the swing weight change is easy to adjust to even if you are using just one hammer.

We've also come up with some pretty tricky ways to up the strength over what Petzl and others have done when making this mod. Some on the board know that this has ben a 3 plus year project to get parts in hand. It is fun to make this stuff and fun to offer it to other climbers. It is even more fun as a climber to to be able to make it even better than I had hoped! It truly is a Merry Christmas around my place!

shoo

Jan 12, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daneburns] Nomic hammers and new BD picks! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any word on when Coldthistle will be up and ready? I'm massively curious to see what you've been playing around with.

daneburns

Jan 12, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Nomic hammers and new BD picks! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Still working on the web site (well "they" are anyway). Should be another week or so at best.

We now have a mini adze for the Nomic...'cuz it was easy after the hammer work. 2nd batch BD picks are at heat treat. 1st was prototypes only. From user feed back we figured out the need for modifying the pommel on the new Fusion so you can get more rotation on the swing. Fusion mods anyone can easily do. Few other things in the works. I have been able to work on all the Petzl tools now either adding Sliders, Triggers or the Quark grips to other tools in the line.

More on the new Fusion here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/921963/2

We have a Pay Pal account now and if you need anything besides the new BD picks most of it I can turn around in a few days. Just send a PM or call the shop phone @ 425 391 3202

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook