Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner pbcowboy77

Jan 6, 2010, 3:01 AM
Post #51 of 57 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seis66] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Didn't read through all the other stuff...

I'm about the same height and weight and climb.

You'll never have more fun! Go for it buddy! It won't affect you other than the fact that you'll want to loose the weight...

If all else fails try aid climbing!

Zac

desertwanderer81

Jan 8, 2010, 8:44 PM
Post #52 of 57 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pbcowboy77 wrote:
If all else fails try aid climbing!

Zac

Not an aid climber myself, but if it's anything like the physical difficulty of jugging, I'm not sure I would recommend it to an overweight person as a past time ;)

dingus

Jan 9, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #53 of 57 (1406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of hefty boys see aid climbing as a way to advance in the sport without having to lose the weight.

One wall will cure them of that thinking hahahahaha. And about 20 lbs too, if they manage to see it through!

Aid climbing (walls), physically speaking, is the hardest work I ever did in my life.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Jan 9, 2010, 1:22 PM)

desertwanderer81

Jan 9, 2010, 4:28 PM
Post #54 of 57 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
A lot of hefty boys see aid climbing as a way to advance in the sport without having to lose the weight.

One wall will cure them of that thinking hahahahaha. And about 20 lbs too, if they manage to see it through!

Aid climbing (walls), physically speaking, is the hardest work I ever did in my life.

DMT
heh, yeah....the very little I've tried just kicked my butt ;) But then again, my butt was approximately 40 lbs heavier then, so maybe I should give it a second shot. Sometime, in the distant future.

ricalvarez

Jan 19, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #55 of 57 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seis66] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started climbing two months ago, I was 5'6" and weighed in at 250#. This morning, after climbing at the local rock wall gym three times a week for the past two months, I'm weighing in at 225# and I've lost about 2" off my waist.

I see some guys doing workouts with weight vests on to increase the intensity of their workout and build up their strength. The way I see it: I’ve got an inbuilt weight vest; the extra 100# I’m still carrying around are actually being put to good use when I climb as they are helping me build up lean muscle a bit quicker by providing greater resistance during my workouts.

Robot

Jan 20, 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #56 of 57 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ricalvarez] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 6' 5" and weighed 240 when I started climbing a year ago, now I am 215 and have to buy pants two sizes smaller. However around the time I started climbing I was also starting to take my cardio workouts more serious which I am sure really cannot hurt the situation. Lean muscle mass and core strength have shot through the roof however and I have never felt better. Setting goals and accomplishing them will do a lot for physical strength as well as mental health.

Good Climbing!

mic_72

Jan 29, 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #57 of 57 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Robot] Start climbing with overweight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pretty fat when I started climbing. Before I couldn't care less about excersize. After climbing a while I got really motivated to do what I could to improve and started running. This is something I had basically sworn I'd never do, saying runners are just suckers that like self inflicted suffering.
I'm not a ripped, skinny guy now, but I do not qualify as fat anymore. Climbing can in itself not change your life, but it sure can motivate you to change it yourself!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook