Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Where do I go in Palmdale?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

raerae

Jan 11, 2010, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Where do I go in Palmdale?  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Bernardino_County)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am working in Palmdale and Lancaster and get out around 5 pm. I'm looking for SOMETHING (anything) outdoor and fun to do at lunch and/or in the evening. Is there anything around here you guys would suggest? Is there any bouldering? Climbing? An indoor gym? A mountain bike trail? Please help. I'm bored stiff.

plantmandan

Jan 11, 2010, 6:50 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [raerae] Where do I go in Palmdale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live near there in the hills above Littlerock and know this area well. Unfortunately, there is really not a lot within a half hour of Palmdale/Lancaster, but if you can drive a little longer, here are some suggestions:

1) Devil's Punch Bowl. This area is spectacular. From here you can hike into a beautiful desert canyon or mountain bike into the San Gabriel Mountains to the Pacific Crest Trail. The Punch Bowl Area does have some sandstone climbing. Most of it is bolted with a few cracks spread out. There are a couple of multi pitch routes as well. The quality of the climbing is debated on this website, but I think it's fun. It's about 45min from Palmdale. Take 138E to Longview Rd in Pearblossom. Follow signs.

2) The Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve will come to life beautifully in the next month or so. Although there is no climbing there, the wildflowers can be gorgeous, and there is some hiking. Just head west on I St. from the 14 and follow the signs.

3) Saddleback Butte State Park is 25 miles east of Lancaster off Ave. J. You might find some climbable boulders there, but it's mainly a fun hiking area with some Joshua Trees.

I think the closest gym is in Victorville.

Happy trails!

raerae

Jan 12, 2010, 5:54 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plantmandan] Where do I go in Palmdale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great information. Thank you very much. I'll try to hit ALL those things up!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook