How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jkd159

Feb 17, 2010, 3:13 AM
Post #1 of 28 (11871 views)
Shortcut

How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Zion_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do people usually aid climb Moonlight Buttress with one rope or two? I'm planning to aid this route in late March or early April, and would like to know how many ropes to bring.

Advantages of Two Ropes: Easier to retreat without leaving gear. Ability to fix a few pitches on day 1 and climb the route on day 2.

Advantages of One Rope: Don't have to haul a second rope.

We will have two ropes since we also plan to climb Spaceshot and need two ropes to descend from that route. The question is, should we bring the second rope up Moonlight Buttress.

Thanks!

brendeneng

Feb 18, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 28 (11819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it all depends on how many people your climbing with? If its just two then technically you could do it with one rope however if you plan on rappeling the route then you would notice on the topo that you need two ropes. I assume there is also a walk off but don't know about it myself.

Partner angry

Feb 18, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #3 of 28 (11816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brendeneng] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brendeneng wrote:
Well it all depends on how many people your climbing with? If its just two then technically you could do it with one rope however if you plan on rappeling the route then you would notice on the topo that you need two ropes. I assume there is also a walk off but don't know about it myself.

The walkoff is PAVED.

For free attempts, you need 2 ropes. A lead line and a thin line (7-8mm) to haul your backpack. If you pack right all you need in there is a little water and food and sandals to walk down in.

Alternately, if the leader is the only one climbing that day, you can avoid the thin rope and the belayer just jugs every pitch wearing a pack.

You should pick a route that isn't such a popular free route, or free the route. Just sayin.

flamer

Feb 18, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #4 of 28 (11793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jkd159 wrote:
Do people usually aid climb Moonlight Buttress with one rope or two? I'm planning to aid this route in late March or early April, and would like to know how many ropes to bring.

Advantages of Two Ropes: Easier to retreat without leaving gear. Ability to fix a few pitches on day 1 and climb the route on day 2.

We will have two ropes since we also plan to climb Spaceshot and need two ropes to descend from that route. The question is, should we bring the second rope up Moonlight Buttress.

Thanks!

Having trouble believing that you had to ask this question.

One rope is always faster. It's all you need to climb the route.

For other applications you'll need 2.

It's that simple.

josh

jkd159

Feb 18, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #5 of 28 (11792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You should pick a route that isn't such a popular free route, or free the route. Just sayin.

Fair point, but it was a wildly popular aid route before it became a wildly popular free route. It isn't my fault climbers are so strong. We will start early and yield to faster parties. We won't be hauling.

Still not sure if we need a second rope. Fixing pitches the day before only gets us to the top of pitch 3 with two ropes (and we could always drop the second rope). Seems like the best thing to do is start early and climb it in a day with one rope.

I suppose it all comes down to: How much of a chance is there that we will have to retreat? And we have to make that decision.

Thanks.

md3

Feb 18, 2010, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 28 (11781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a free route now, you shouldn't be setting out to aid it.

whipper

Feb 18, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #7 of 28 (11770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [md3] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am really torn on all of this free vs aid...
I dont think I am going to let someone elses style choices affect me. Ethics are one thing, but all these hard and fast rules that people are spouting off, well I have never been a big rule follower. If you can free it, then go for it, if you need to aid it, then go for it. The climbing police are getting a little much for me...just please dont nail it, thats ethics...the other is style....big difference

Partner camhead

Feb 18, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 28 (11762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipper] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
I dont think I am going to let someone elses style choices affect me. Ethics are one thing, but all these hard and fast rules that people are spouting off, well I have never been a big rule follower. If you can free it, then go for it, if you need to aid it, then go for it. If you need to hog it up, bivy, and take five hours per pitch, you should probably stay off of it and get on another aid route, despite any sense of self-entitlement

Fixed that for you.

It is all about the evolution from largely aid to largely free. You would be a consensus dick today if you went and aided routes like Primrose Dihedrals or Astroman. Not so much if you were to aid Salathe, and certainly the Nose. Moonlight is somewhere in the middle.

Rudmin

Feb 18, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #9 of 28 (11749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

0 http://www.alpinist.com/...nnold-solo-moonlight

Partner cracklover

Feb 18, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #10 of 28 (11739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [md3] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

md3 wrote:
This is a free route now, you shouldn't be setting out to aid it.

Says who? If the OP will yield to faster parties, what gives you the right to say he shouldn't aid it?

GP

whipper

Feb 18, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #11 of 28 (11735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
whipper wrote:
I dont think I am going to let someone elses style choices affect me. Ethics are one thing, but all these hard and fast rules that people are spouting off, well I have never been a big rule follower. If you can free it, then go for it, if you need to aid it, then go for it.

Fixed that for you.

It is all about the evolution from largely aid to largely free. You would be a consensus dick today if you went and aided routes like Primrose Dihedrals or Astroman. Not so much if you were to aid Salathe, and certainly the Nose. Moonlight is somewhere in the middle.

fixed it back, and so what if you think I am a dick...I think stick clipping your way up a sport route is a dick thing to do, I see people do it all the time, but you know what, who gives a fuck. Its climbing, and really, I am not hurting anyone. And I am self entitled to do whatever the hell I want, once again, style is NOT the same as ethics....and I will climb in whatever style I want.

Partner cracklover

Feb 18, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #12 of 28 (11734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
whipper wrote:
I dont think I am going to let someone elses style choices affect me. Ethics are one thing, but all these hard and fast rules that people are spouting off, well I have never been a big rule follower. If you can free it, then go for it, if you need to aid it, then go for it. If you need to hog it up, bivy, and take five hours per pitch, you should probably stay off of it and get on another aid route, despite any sense of self-entitlement

Fixed that for you.

And, being somewhere in the middle, it seems entirely appropriate to aid it, but yield to faster parties. On any given day, the thing seems to be jam-packed anyway.

GO

dugl33

Feb 18, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #13 of 28 (11716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jkd159 wrote:

Thanks!

Its really not that hard to aid trailing two lines. If you're freeing it you could use skinny doubles. With fixed anchors every pitch (?), not being able to bail off a route you've never been on (weather, gear selection, whatever else) seems a bit reckless.

A high level of commitment is admirable but since you've never been up the particular route, I say, take two. The second could be anything from a full size rope to a zip line. The ability to safely retreat, pass gear to the leader, etc outweighs the weight penalty of two ropes imo.

Partner camhead

Feb 18, 2010, 5:22 PM
Post #14 of 28 (11714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
You would be a consensus dick today if you went and aided routes like Primrose Dihedrals or Astroman.

fixed it back, and so what if you think I am a dick...
I said you would be a dick (only) if you were aiding Primrose or Astroman.

Have you approached either of those routes as an aid route? If so, you're a dick. If not, you suck at reading comprehension.

Carnage

Feb 18, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #15 of 28 (11709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
camhead wrote:
whipper wrote:
I dont think I am going to let someone elses style choices affect me. Ethics are one thing, but all these hard and fast rules that people are spouting off, well I have never been a big rule follower. If you can free it, then go for it, if you need to aid it, then go for it.

Fixed that for you.

fixed it back, and so what if you think I am a dick...I think stick clipping your way up a sport route is a dick thing to do, I see people do it all the time, but you know what, who gives a fuck. Its climbing, and really, I am not hurting anyone. And I am self entitled to do whatever the hell I want, once again, style is NOT the same as ethics....and I will climb in whatever style I want.

stick clipping bolt to bolt single pitch usually doesnt affect parties around you ('less they are too busy staring at your amazing muscles, because you are no doubt climbing w/out a shirt on)

the argument is not whether or not your style pisses people off so much that it ruins their day, it is whether your speed affects other climbers, which ruins their day

jmeizis

Feb 18, 2010, 6:34 PM
Post #16 of 28 (11670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who gives a crap if someone wants to aid Moonlight, or Primrose for that matter. As long as they're not holding other parties up and being considerate (and not pounding pins) it shouldn't matter.

I've aided plenty of free lines. Hell I've put up topropes for people afraid to lead. Style is only important to the person climbing. I do try to be considerate by going really early, really late, or during crappy weather so I'm avoiding other parties but I've never had someone get pissy because I was aiding and they were free climbing. If they did I'd be tempted to kick their ass.

Partner cracklover

Feb 18, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #17 of 28 (11661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Who gives a crap if someone wants to aid Moonlight, or Primrose for that matter. As long as they're not holding other parties up and being considerate (and not pounding pins) it shouldn't matter.

Are you familiar with Moonlight? After Touchstone, it's probably the most popular route in Zion. If it really *was* something that everyone frees (as implied by posts like Angry's) then it would be near impossible to aid it without holding up other parties. I tried to get on it on a nice spring weekend around four years ago, and there were four parties on the first half of the route alone!

In reply to:
I've aided plenty of free lines. Hell I've put up topropes for people afraid to lead. Style is only important to the person climbing. I do try to be considerate by going really early, really late, or during crappy weather so I'm avoiding other parties but I've never had someone get pissy because I was aiding and they were free climbing. If they did I'd be tempted to kick their ass.

That's all well and good for routes that don't have an international waiting list. But for a route like, say, Astroman, you'd be a giant douche for aiding it. Oh, and I've never met you, but if push came to shove, I'd guess that the folks free-climbing Astroman would be doing the ass-kicking, not the other way around.

GO

jmeizis

Feb 18, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #18 of 28 (11644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having not climbed it I can only go off what I've read and heard. The way I see it, it's a ten pitch climb with only two pitches that don't have belays on ledges. Guess I don't see the problem in letting a party pass. Assuming a competent free climbing party (better be for climbing that hard) they should be able to get up the route in a day at a relaxed pace with a little bit of a wait and a clusterfuck here and there while they pass aiding parties.

And yes it would be pretty rude to start aiding up a popular free climb on a busy day, that doesn't mean it can't/won't be done. If a faster free party can pass a slower one, not sure why a faster free party can't pass an aiding party. Being considerate is important in all aspects of climbing, not just the co-mingling of free and aid parties. Aiding up a free route in the busiest part of the day on the weekend in the busiest part of the season is inconsiderate. So is being the bumbling party going at a snails pace not letting anyone pass them while they try to free the moves. Both people are douchebags. When push comes to shove I try to be considerate but I would worry greatly for the party that pushes me.

New rule, inconsiderate douchebags should stay off popular free and aid climbs.

whipper

Feb 18, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #19 of 28 (11637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Oh, and I've never met you, but if push came to shove, I'd guess that the folks free-climbing Astroman would be doing the ass-kicking, not the other way around.

GO

News flash...Hard climbing does NOT = ass kicking abilities...trust me on that one

olderic

Feb 18, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #20 of 28 (11625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its fast vs. slow not aid vs. free. If you are slow and creating a bottleneck you better get out of the way. The faster overtaking party might be aiding past the slower "dude I want to just rest 5 minutes before I take a burn and try and send this pitch - it's my proj - knowhatimean?) free climbing dudes.

To the original poster - what are you trying to find out? It's a pretty simple decision - 1 rope vs. 2. Are you going to repeat the question for helmets, headlamps, first aid kits, back up belay devices etc.? Discuss with your partner, negotaite an agreeable level of risk and roll the dice. Anonymous strangers pontificating aren't going to help with that.

zeke_sf

Feb 18, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #21 of 28 (11614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Oh, and I've never met you, but if push came to shove, I'd guess that the folks free-climbing Astroman would be doing the ass-kicking, not the other way around.

GO

News flash...Hard climbing does NOT = ass kicking abilities...trust me on that one

My money's on the fat boys who hauled up plenty of provisions on this one.

Partner cracklover

Feb 18, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #22 of 28 (11611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whipper wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

No opinion on that, the point being that you'd be taking on half of camp 4 by pulling a dick move like that.

GO

zeke_sf

Feb 18, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #23 of 28 (11603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
whipper wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

No opinion on that, the point being that you'd be taking on half of camp 4 by pulling a dick move like that.

GO

Oh, come now, let's stop pretending climbers fight. They mostly just whine and grumble behind other peoples' backs.

snowey

Feb 18, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #24 of 28 (11599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there is a difference between a route that has been freed to one that routinely gets freed. When I went to Moonlight there were also four parties on it and only one was freeing it. Everyone let the free party pass.

On the other hand Astroman and Primrose are rarely aided. I guess what I am advocating is to be mindful when stepping outside of the norm. The same argument can be made about getting on a popular route with a party of 3 or 4 or just being really slow at leading.

As opposed to the competitive surfing culture which encourages everyone to be mean to each other climbing is typically much more accommodating.

Oh yeah. You are all n00bs.

farmcracker

Feb 18, 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #25 of 28 (11562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snowey] How Many Ropes For Moonlight Buttress [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He he!

I think we'll try something less crowded.
Glad I checked this.
Don't wanna step on any toes, but I'm 6'5" and most 5.13 climbers don't hassle me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook